It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Physical Therapy Results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
    cjlivinlife
    (female)

cjlivinlife HB User
    Physical Therapy Results

I am almost 6 weeks post op from ACDF C5-6 C6-7 and go back to the doctor tomorrow for a follow up xray and to find out if I start going to PT or not. Does anyone know the main reason for PT? Is it to just get your full range of motion back and the neck muscles stronger or is it more than just that. I feel like if I could just have some of my restrictions lifted and I could start doing physical things that I could get stronger and more flexible on my own. Guess I will ask the dr tomorrow also. Anybody with PT experience would be great. What did you get out of it, what did you start with for excercises or was it more massage, ultrasound, etc? Thanks,
    cj

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2009, 02:18 AM   #2
    MRJJ
    (male)

MRJJ HB User
    Re: Physical Therapy Results

Hi I have been seeing a PT 2-4 times a month for 3 months. I am recovering from a fractured C6 and grafting/bone fusion T2,3,4,5 sustained in December 08. In hospital PT helped me to walk again and showed me techniques to help movement such as getting out of bed without putting pressure on my spine. In Re-hab they taught people to walk and complete tasks they might do at home.

I goto to PT once a fortnight but I have lifting restrictions from my surgery. My PT has been helping correct my posture, often I am using muscles that are very small and are hard to flex. When I had my brace removed (after 85 days, 24-7) I had limited movement. It is still a bit stiff but is constantly getting better. I do some range of movement exercises and some small muscle strengthening that is always done in a supported position.

Unfortunately my PT has never given me a massage.
    My first impression was my PT was a glorified personal trainer however some of the exercises I have been assigned have been helpful. My correction in posture is fantastic for my neck muscles when they are tired (you may not need it but it helped me get comfy to sleep).

I hope this helps you in some way. Your PT experience will be different to mine, I'm still deciding if I will continue when my health care system stops paying for it.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
    Surgery042909
    (female)

Surgery042909 HB User

Did you all have PT after a neck fusion??

I asked my doctor and he said it probably would not be necessary, he would give me some exercises to do when it was time.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
    minstrel2
    (female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User

I had PT after C7-T1 fusion because my hands and arms were quite weak. The 8 weeks of PT helped me to regain my strength. I used the arm bicycle and therapy putty as well as hand weights. I don't think I could have gotten the same results without therapy. Before my surgery I couldn't turn the knob on the door at my office. Now I have completely restored function.

Closed Thread