It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• mri findings c-spine after accident 3.3.09

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
    ilovebb07
    (female)

ilovebb07 HB User
    Question mri findings c-spine after accident 3.3.09

Hello,
    Just trying to find out what my options are after my mri findings of my c-spine.

Findings:
    There is mild reversal of the normal cervical lordosis without subluxation. The vertebral body hights are maintained, and the visualized bony structures show normal signal intensity. There is disc space narrowing from C3-C4 through C6-C7. The cervical spinal cord is normal in caliber and smooth in contour and shows uniform signal intensity.

There is no significant encroachment upon the thecal sac or neural canals from C7-T1 through T4-T5. At C2C3, there is very mild posterior disc buldging but no spinal stenosisor significant encroachment upon neural canals.

At C3-C4, there is mild posterior disc buldging and mild to moderate narrowing of the right neural canal at this level. There is no spinal stenosis at this level.

At C4-C5, there is mild posterior disc bulging and mild to moderate narrowing of the left neural canal due to uncovertebral spurring. The theal sac at this level measures at least10mm in AP dimension.

At C5-C6, there is mild posterior spurring and disc bulging. The thecal sac at this level measures 9.4mm in AP dimension. There is bilateral unconvertebral spurring at this level with mild to moderate right neural canal narrowing and moderately severe left neural canal narowing.

At C6-C7, There is a mild posterior disc herniation. The thecal sac at this level measures 10mm or more in AP dimension. There is Moderately severe narrowing of the left C6-C7 neural canal due to unconvertebral spurring.

ADDENDUM:
    incidentally noted is a 12x13x18 mm soft tissue lesion or node adjacent to the left anterolateral aspect of the upper thoracic spine just superior to the aortic arch. This is of uncertian etiology, but a neoplastic process cannot be excluded. Might consider a chest CT for further evaluation.

So that is what the report stated can anyone clear that up in lamen terms for me. I have headaches everyday and right shoulder and arm pain every day not to mention neck pain and stiffness.
    Thank You!!!
    Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: mri findings c-spine after accident 3.3.09

I wouldn't wory about your neck...the MRI is fairly insignificant but at the end there is a note about a possible mass in your chest behind your aorta and a malignant mass cannot be ruled out by the MRI. You need a chest CT...now!

It's ironic what they find by accident but THAT accident just might save your life. I had a back MRI that showed a possible chest problem and had a CT. The chest was fine but they found an aneurysm almost at bursting size by my spleen. Saved by a sore back! Had it burst I never would lived to make it to the hospital.

So get your chest checked!

gentle hugs...............JennyB

Old 04-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
    ilovebb07
    (female)

ilovebb07 HB User

Yes if it would not have been for the accident they would have never found the mass im so greatful but scared at the same time. I am on my doctors to get the CT ordered and will fill you in once I get that report lets pray its nothing. Thank you again.
    Lisa

Last edited by ilovebb07; 04-15-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: quick reply

Old 04-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
    ilovebb07
    (female)

ilovebb07 HB User

12 X 13 X 18mm mediastinal node in chest found on mri scan just got ct order waitting for insurance approval to schedule the ct chest scan..... I am scared im only 39 and never had to go threw anything like this but cancer runs in my family. praying that god has a plan.... thanks for you comments......

Old 04-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
    ilovebb07
    (female)

ilovebb07 HB User

Had my CT today and this is what they found no other masses or nodes. So I am being refered to a surgen for further evaluation.

isolated 19 x 8 mm paraspinal lymph node at the level T3

Old 04-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
    ilovebb07
    (female)

ilovebb07 HB User

So had my appointment with the surgeon and he seemed to think it was nothing to worry about he said we can not do a biopsy due to the complication it could cause me as it is deep in the middle of my chest. So we are going to wait six months do another Ct scan at that time and if it has grown we will deal with it then.....

Old 04-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Thank goodness!!!!!!!!!!! What a relief!!!!!!!!!!!! It was important to know what was going on there.

Now back to you neck. You have a lot of small problems going on that will possibly lead up to something called spondylosis...a general narrowing of the spinal canal by arthritis, herniated disks, and general stenosis(narrowing you're born with).

If you notice, they have given measuements in millemeters. These are the width measurements of your spinal cord. It should be above or about 10mms. You are just slightly below that at one level. So that needs to be watched. They have a new surgery that re-shapes the spine to allow more room without having to fuse anything. Called a laminoplasty. I was below 6mms. so the gradula squeezing can go for a long time before you even get symptoms. Your loss of lordosis(the normal curve in your neck) will also speed things along. It means the bones aren't aligned properly and will cause more arthritis. And "pain in the neck".

You need to watch out for numbness....a sign of pressure on the spinal cord. I started with numb toes. Then went on the experience trouble walking. As my work day went on(I was on my feet most of the time)I found I was walking in baby steps. Could barely move my legs forward. My ortho(I've had 14 knee surgeries) asked if I had neck problems. No, I said stupidly. Then I started becoming a klutz. I kept dropping stuff. My hand writing was horrible. A year after my doc asked about my neck I was out shoveling snow when I picked up one shovel too many and went numb from the neck down. I knew I had a problem. Pain began in my left arm and I asked about getting an MRI. My docs were shocked when they got the results. I had so little pain...it was all numbness and slow loss of function. So that's what you need to watch for.

A hurt nerve will scream. A dying nerve shows itself by loss of function and slowly developing numbness. So in terms of the spine, pain is good. No pain can be very bad if it accompanies numbness and loss of function.

The good news is that this new surgery is miraculous. I woke up numbness free and all function restored. And no fusion.

So watch your symptoms and find a good spine doc who will watch you too.

And I'm so glad that mass turned out to be nothing significant...or so they think. I've got some nodes on the sides of my spine too.

Keep in touch...................Jenny

Closed Thread