It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C1-C2 significant OA - ?RA

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
    sk84life
    (female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User
    C1-C2 significant OA - ?RA

jenny byc or anyone else that can relate....

Briefly had ACDF C5-6 for disc and large osteophyte, 2 yrs. later had isolated right upper arm nerve pain. Flexion/extension x-rays showed spondylolithesis and retrolothesis of C3-4, C4-5 and EMG showed large abnormalities. Had 'urgent' surgery for ACDF and fusion, very lax ligaments. It did relieve the arm pain. Never have had neck pain, only arm nerve pain, numb thumbs/index fingers.

Past November 08 (1-1/2 yr post-op) developed significant upper cervical spine (bone pain and muscle spasms.) Tried the usual moist heat, cold, lots of Advil, some Valium and occ. Vicodin, gentle stretches, etc. Had 3 accupuncture treatments that reduced the muscle spasms (great!) but still left with bone pain and limited head turn to left (45 degrees.) So finally gave in and went to see a local spine ortho doc as original spine surgeon too far away.....anyway, even he was surprised to see the 'dens' mush, and said I had significant arthritis of C1-2, asked if I had RA, stop all range of motion exercises, and to let him know immediately if I got worse.

PCP put me on Mobic and all labs for RA were negative, but agreed to send me to a Rheumy. Still waiting for review and appt....... Still need other meds in addition to Mobic (varies each day) but 2x I stopped the mobic for 2 days and the pain was worse.

When I add up all my other ortho issues in recent years (2 shoulder, knee crap, week of very red swollen knuckles both hands, clumsiness of hands - spilled more water glasses than I hate to admit cause I don't feel them) I think RA or some other variant. I don't have any gross myopathy symptoms. But rather than get panicky, I also wonder if this new finding is just 'transitional syndrome' that is a result of the last ACDF.

Has anyone had 'transitional syndrome' this high up? 5 months and it is wearing me out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: C1-C2 significant OA - ?RA

Hello fellow Nutmegger! I've had RA for 5 years(OA for 35) and have yet to have anything go positive except my sed rate. My rheumy diagnosed it through an MRI of my wrist. OA rarely attacks the wrist and although there were no erosions at that time, the MRI showed changes consistent with early RA. So blood tests are not the only way and should never be the sole method of diagnosis. At least 20-25% of all RA patients never have a positive rheumatoid factor.

RA does have particular affinity for C 1 and 2 and as far as I know, is the only inflammatory arthritic disease that does. OA does not. So I would strongly suspect RA just from that. Keep taking your meds and don't be put off if the rheumy doesn't agree. I've been through more diagnoses with these docs than Carters makes "little liver pills"(do you remember that ad or am I giving away my age?). You will probably need stronger meds to keep the damage at bay. I recently started Orencia and it's having a major effect on my spine. But I may still be facing an extension of my fusion up to C2 or beyond. I know I will lose side to side movement and if he goes to C1, I lose up and down. If he ops to go all the way up to my skull....well, I'm prepared for that. I already asked about an artificial disk for C2-3 and the answer is no. I guess they've been finding "disk dust" in the areas of the artificial disks and at C2-3 you're taking the brainstem and possible migration of this "disk dust" into the brain. So ...no thank you......and he wouldn't do it anyway.

So I'd see a rheumy and if you need to see a second or third, do so. Or see your spine surgeon and get him/her to send you to someone they think will treat you appropriately. My neurosurgeon is in Boston so I understand the part about having to travel too far. I hate that drive on the Mass. Pike! Never know if I'll be there in 2 hours or 4!

If you need any names of rheumies or neurosurgeons, let me know and I'll put back the PM feature so we can email each other. I had to stop it for reasons I won't go into.

Here's to having necks that click, pop, crack and generally don't move!

gentle hugs..............Jenny

Old 04-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
    sk84life
    (female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User

Jenny - Thank you soooo much! I have posted on all sorts of forums and no one has ever answered my question! "little liver pills..." lol yeah, I'm 62 1/2 still working full time.

Right now I'm doing okay....but I have spent months doing all sorts of medical journal research. Lots about the surgery itself and newer techniques but nothing about initial diagnosis except sophisticated radiology measurements (I assume at major Univ. centers.)

The local chief Rheumy is supposedly reviewing the consult from my PCP and then they will decide about seeing me! No one has even looked at my hands or done a full neuro exam, just the labs. This week I did go for a cortisone shot in my knee that flared up badly for over a month and convinced the APRN to do hand x-rays. No bone eronsions at all, but she did only a quick look at the films.

I would like to take you up on your offer of PM for names of appropriate docs. Will have to read how to do PMs.....Thanks sooo much for responding!

Doris

Old 04-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I think I turned it back on correctly. Try to PM me and we'll see. So you remember Carters Little Liver pills too!(I'm 57 1/2)

Jenny

Closed Thread