It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• bruises on front of each shoulder post ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
    stitcher8
    (female)

stitcher8 HB User
    bruises on front of each shoulder post ACDF

I was just wondering if any of you might know why (after the surgery) I have a bruise on the the front of each of my shoulders. My husband thinks maybe they had to tie me down or something during the surgery to make sure I didn't move. Could that be it? Has anyone else had bruising on their shoulders after the surgery? Just curious

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
    sk84life
    (female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User
    Re: bruises on front of each shoulder post ACDF

Different surgeons use different ways of pulling the shoulders downward - it is done so X-ray can see as much of the cervical spine as possible without the shoulder bones blocking the view. Some use 3" wide adheisive tape....

I would tell your surgeon (or PA - sometimes they are more receptive to hearing these things and can suggest to the surgeon another method) about it during your follow-up visit.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
    stitcher8
    (female)

stitcher8 HB User

Thanks for the reply. It isn't really a big deal. I was just surprised to see bruises on my shoulders. I don't have a follow-up appointment until the end of May and it is with the nurse not the surgeon. Is that unusual?

Old 05-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
    sk84life
    (female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User

I still would tell the nurse, and no that is not unusual for a post-op visit. I would ask her how the surgeon positions you during surgery and who does it. He might not be the one that actually does it, perhaps a PA or surgical assistant, or even the Circulating Nurse. Regardless, they do need to know a patient sustained bruises. Please don't let this slide.

Closed Thread