It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Less Than 2 Weeks Post Op & Pain FREE!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
    Robbie445
    (male)

Robbie445 HB User
    Less Than 2 Weeks Post Op & Pain FREE!!!

Hi Everyone,

Just posting a quick update. 2 weeks ago tomorrow morning, I had ACDF Surgery at C/5,6,7 Levels. Prior to surgery I had Moderate Cord Compression and a lot of Bone Spurs. Following surgery, I experienced pain, at some times quite tough, throughout the first week. I also had some pins and needles in both arms and hands. My arms felt like someone was running hot branding iron through the center of them for several days and the pain would go up through my shoulders and into the base of my skull.

Over the past few days, my pain, weakness, soreness, pins and needles have completely left me. I have absolutely NO PAIN or symptoms left and it's less than 2 weeks. I am overjoyed to say the least. I've been in chronic pain for several years now and suddenly it's GONE!!! I'm walking everyday. I'm still "trying" to take it easy. I'm not doing anything whatsoever that my doctor isn't authorizing me to do, as I don't want to do anything that would upset the apple cart, but I just wanted to let you know that I am doing fantastic! I appreciate, once again all of your advice and the information given to me on this site. I'll keep in touch.

I do have other bulges in Cervical, Lumbar and even Thoracic that will probably have to be dealt with down the road, but for now, I'm rejoicing over this situation. It's almost too good to be true!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2009, 03:36 AM   #2
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Re: Less Than 2 Weeks Post Op & Pain FREE!!!

Pastor That is wonderful. Continue to follow your surgeons restrictions. I felt pretty good at 2weeks. Then I became alittle to brave & started to do what I considered small things. My pain levels were back up. So stick with the restrictions even though you feel great. I hope your recovery continues to be successful, God bless, Sammy

ps I wanted to ask you pastor did you have the chest pain/spasms before surgery?

Old 05-07-2009, 05:41 AM   #3
    Robbie445
    (male)

Robbie445 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammyo1 View Post
    ps I wanted to ask you pastor did you have the chest pain/spasms before surgery?
    Terribly! That is obviously gone as well. That's a symptom that I'd forgotten about until you mentioned it, but I'd written an entire thread about on here, asking if anyone else had that symptom with C Spine Problems. Yes, I had it, but it's gone too. Are you familar with that symptom?

Old 05-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
    HarleyLdy61
    (female)

HarleyLdy61 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Less Than 2 Weeks Post Op & Pain FREE!!!

Pastor Robbie,

That is great news. Gosh, I hope everything goes that well with my surgery, This will my fourth surgery (non-related issues) since May of 06. I go in August - They will be replacing 2 discs with the hardware - I believe the same as yours however my spinal cord is compressed to 0.4cm not sure what that is mm. Another thing is that I'm a smoker - I know I know. Having been cutting back and on my way to completely stopping altogether. As far as the chest pain - A couple of weeks ago my daughter made me go to the ER because I was having chest pain on the left side with some back pain in the same area, and she kept saying women don't have the same symptoms as man for heart attacks. I didn't feel like it was a heart attack but one can never be to careful with chest pain, everything came back clear. I explained the issues with my cervical neck and the spinal cord compression, asked if it could be from that. they really never said anything just kept saying it's not a heart attack and I kept telling them I really didn't think it was but could it be related to my back issues, I was concerned cause of the spinal cord compression. Sent me to see my gp which in turn I saw a nurse practioner who kept telling me it wasn't your heart asked about the back issue and she told me told me no. I am just so tired of doctors treating you like it's all in your mind or it's depression/stress. But I believe that it was because of others on here who also have the same symptoms. I also get pain in the area of the spleen under my bottom left ribcage.

Sorry if this was long and rambling. Keep up on the great recovery but still remember to take it easy.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:02 AM   #5
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Woohoo! Great news. Keep up the excellent progress. There must be a plan for you! NP

Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
    Nicole74
    (female)

Nicole74 HB UserNicole74 HB User

That is wonderful news!

Old 05-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
    Robbie445
    (male)

Robbie445 HB User

Well,

I was pain free for a few short days there, but now I'm back in pretty tough pain again. It's the muscles coming from my neck and down into my shoulders. Is that common for pain to subside following ACDF and then come back again? Just wondering, because I'm back taking my Soma, Avinza and Norco and still suffering. I've done nothing to cause it to become a problem and it feels totally like muscles and perhaps nerves, but definitely not the bone. Just curious and wondering if things like this are common and are to be expected?

Thanks As Always,
    Pastor Robbie

Old 05-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

It is common to have some immediate relief and then as the body heals you can have muscle pain or nerve pain (as nerves heal). Do you have a follow-up visit with the doctor soon?

Old 05-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
    slstrider62
    (female)

slstrider62 HB User

Hi, I'm new here. Most of my spine is fused either by previous operations or were there at birth (i.e., spina bifida occulta). I have several birth defects in my spine and in other areas in my body. I have had two laminectomies. The first one kept me from walking very far without bending over in pain. My second was even worse, nerve root 1 was sliced into. It never regenerated. What I'd mainly like to know is if anyone here has had a pain-pump put on your spine. What kind of meds you have going through it. And, how you're doing with it.

I may be in the wrong place. If so, please excuse me. If possible, would you send me to where I need to go?

Thanks,
    Sandy

Old 05-11-2009, 02:39 AM   #10
    Bobbyboo
    (female)

Bobbyboo HB User

This is very common Pastor Robbie - I was pain free at the two week mark and then the pains, tightness and spasms started to return. They are still coming and going at the 3 month mark but they are bearable and I can live with them as long as I know there is nothing seriously wrong and it is just the body healing. Even cutting my toenails this morning started off spasms in my neck. The problem is at the 3 month mark all the sympathy etc from friends and family has worn away!

Keep well,

Bobbyboo

Old 05-11-2009, 03:56 AM   #11
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Well Pastor you are following the path of healing that many do. At the the 2wk mark you feel pretty good & then you start experiancing pain or discomfort shortly after. I have said many times it can be deceiving. I started to do alittle of this & that so when the pain returned I thought I messed up big time. The nerves & muscles kind of play off one another. For example although my latest problem was nerve related it caused me to go into muscle spasms big time. We have come to the conclusion its all cervical related & part my individual healing process.
    I think some dont experiance this to the degree others do, depending on how long you had your problems before surgery & the severity, cord involvment & so on....
    This can be normal & I put a post of share with others what I had learned. My surgeon did not warn me of this & I am assuming others are not told to expect this either. Perhaps you may want to look at the postop information post I put up. My shoulder & neck are sore daily, my neck was not to bad preop so I know this is from the surgery.
    I am 5mnths (end of this month) & some days are better & others frustrate me with the pain. Still better then preop though.
    I had this for years & I dont expect to be pain free real soon. My first PT warned me it took time for this problem to develope & get repaired & it will take time for it to heal. I can see where it can take up to 1yr or even more & it was the same for my shoulder after surgery.
    I wish surgeons would inform people more of what can occur. I dont think everyone has the same but I do think many do.
    The new PT I started with warned me do not decrease of attempt to go off your meds to fast as there is still healing & with the nerves it can be a uncomfortable journey.
    I am not surprised to hear this, just continue to take care. Make sure your on a good calcium & continue with the moist heat & ice if needed. I hope this passes soon for you, god bless, Sammy

Old 05-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
    Surgery042909
    (female)

Surgery042909 HB User

That is great Pastor Robbie!!!!

I am 2 weeks post op as of today. (ACDF C4-5,5-6,6-7, three level fusion)

I also have none of the prior pain and symptoms, I was amazed the first time they got me up in the hospital and all the back and leg pain was gone. I too had the chest pain, the arm pain, leg heaviness, lower back pain, lose of left hand function, right handed weakness pre-op.

Other then the first 4 days when I did take my pain meds, I have been relatively pain free.

Curious what restrictions you all have received.

I have been told to wear the hard collar in the car, no lifting over 5 pounds for 3 months, no weight of any kind with arms above shoulders and I am not to do too much bending. Are these the typical ones for all of you??

My back feels great, I had bad muscle spasms for the first few days but it is okay now. My biggest problem was swelling. Surgeon's office 1 week post op said it was okay and would decrease with time. I developed an ear infection probably due to my seasonal allergies sinus congestion this weekend which my GP put me on antibiotics for on Monday. He didn't like the swelling of my neck either so I started Monday and had to see my GP again today. My neck swelling is less then half what it was on Monday. I suspect it was an infection that was developing. Antibiotic (levaquin) is helping big time but I suspect it might be behind a headache that has started this evening after reading the possible side effects. IT is doable especially since it is helping with the ear and neck, I just hope it passes and don't last the full 10 days of treatment.

I am just a little discouraged, I felt great last week and now am wiped out again.

Don't get me wrong, the surgery was the best possible thing and I am sooooo glad I did it. The other pains and weakness going away is so worth it, I can't imagine having to have lived with that forever with it just geting worse. I have walked more in the last 2 weeks then I was able to in the last 6 months because of the previous pain.

I am looking forward to getting my life back by the summer and starting to really enjoy what I have not been able to for some time. (I love hiking, camping, biking and outdoor activities and have missed them)

Thinking of you guys and so glad to hear you are doing well Pastor Robbie.

Judi

Old 05-14-2009, 01:36 AM   #13
    Robbie445
    (male)

Robbie445 HB User

Hi Judy,

Thanks for the post. Today is the best day I've had in probably the past 2 years. I have just felt so good! I'm sort of on a Roller Coaster Ride right now with my feelings. One day I'm great and the next day I may have trouble getting muscle spasms under control. Overall though, compared to what it was like prior to surgery, I'm in excellent shape! I'm so very grateful.

My biggest complaint now and I don't want to even call it a complaint, but what I'm noticing is hanging around the most now and lingering on, is simply muscle pains and spasms. I don't recognize anything as nerve pain any longer. And as for as the surgery itself and the incision and bone work, that was very minor from my perspective. I've had major bone work in the past, such as a total hip fusion and that was extremely painful, as for as the bone work went, but this was really nothing.

My restrictions were pretty much the same as yours. I'm walking an hour per day now. 30 minutes in the AM and PM. I'm still getting a LOT of rest. I'm still sleeping in my recliner. I'm rid of the Hardcollar now. I'm not to lift over 5lbs and nothing above my head. No bending over. I was told that I can drive now, as I feel up to it, but I've really not felt comfortable yet or should I say, my wife really hasn't felt comfortable with me driving yet. That's fine. I took 5 weeks off from the office, so I'm in no bind, but I expect to drive some starting next week.

I've been getting out some. I've been to church a number of times, but I'm not ministering yet. I'll resume those duties in about 2 1/2 weeks from now. We've been out to eat a couple of times. I went to Wal Mart with my wife once. Anyway, nothing big, but just getting out and moving.

I too am excited about getting my life back. I'm so happy to be rid of the pins and needles and chronic pain. It was driving me up the wall.

I'm glad that you're doing well. I will certainly be praying for your speedy and full recovery and also about this headache and infection that you're experiencing.

Please keep us posted as your recovery continues. You're not alone, thanks to this site. We're all on this journey of recovery together.

God Bless,
    Pastor Robbie

Old 05-06-2010, 03:13 AM   #14
    Poppa John
    (male)

Poppa John HB User

C5-6 ACDF two days ago. Woke up in post-op recovery with terrible pain but it wasn't the pain I had been experiencing prior to surgery. The pain in my shoulders and arms was gone. I spent one night in the hospital after surgery. I've had some muscle spasm/bone pain from the surgery. Some difficulty swallowing. I'm wearing a soft collar for 4 weeks. Surgeon said I can drive after 2 weeks. Having difficulty sleeping, can't seem to get comfortable even with sleeping pills and pain meds. I know this will pass. Told not to lift anything over 10 pounds.. I will follow Dr.'s orders so I can get better and get on with my life. Thanks to all on these boards who have helped by answering questions and sharing their experience. You've all been helpful.

Last edited by Poppa John; 05-06-2010 at 03:14 AM.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
    lb07734
    (female)

lb07734 HB User

I had ACDf 6/7 done almost 8 weeks ago. Take it easy and listen to your restrictions. I have 3 little ones at home and following directions were tough. My recovery has been amazing and I thank God for it. I wore a hard collar 24 hrs a day except for showering for 7 weeks until I developed a rash from it.

The only issue that continues is I am still having trouble swallowing. It has gotten better than it was, but I feel like I still have a lump in my throat.

I finally got my surgeon to agree to let me do more physically. I used to work out regulary before surgery and now am back to my spin classes a few times a week and will start some lower body strength training tomorrow. i had my PT evaluation yesterday and was given exercises to do.

I have learned to take it slow and easy the hard way but will continue to take it slow so I don't re-injure myself.

Closed Thread