It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• How many days in hospital in the US/UK for ACDF?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
    Jema X
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jema X HB User
    How many days in hospital in the US/UK for ACDF?

This question interests me because I think that we are very different.

I am having a single level C5/6 ACDF (though will likely need hip graft) and will be in about 5 - 6 days. I do have some other issues with my thoracic which will slow things down - the only rotation I will have at all is in my lumbar. 6 days seems excessive though - I'll hopefully be out in half that!

Would you be able to tell me your experiences please?

I've also been told hard collar day/soft collar night for 12 weeks and no driving for 8 weeks. This is my biggest problem with the surgery, cab fares will be expensive and they tend to be jerky drivers. My surgery is on the 11th. Thanks to all those that have shared their experiences and to those waiting as I am. You have all helped so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
    Robbie445
    (male)

Robbie445 HB User
    Re: How many days in hospital in the US/UK for ACDF?

Hi Juliet,

I had ACDF Surgery 2 weeks ago this morning at levels C/5,6, and 7. I did not have a hip graft. I had enough bone spurs that had to be removed, that the Surgeons used that bone to graft with. I was hospitalized just 1 night. The first week, was painful, but not horrible. I've also had my right hip fused years ago, due to an awful accident and this cervical spine fusion was a piece of cake next to that one. I've had quite a number of different types of surgeries over the years and this one is painful, but not excruciating, at least from my experience. I am 2 weeks Post Op today and I am pain free. I did have a little muscle soreness after waking up this morning, but overall, I'm out of pain from my cervical spine and I was in quite a bit of severe pain prior to surgery. I would highly recommend this surgery to anyone who is living in pain or having spinal cord symptoms from cord compression. The benefits and relief FAR outweigh the surgical procedure itself.

When I had my hip fused, they did go into my Pelvis to harvest the bone for the fusion and that was quite painful, for a long time. That would probably require a lengthier hospital stay than just one night, but I too would think that nearly a week is a little long. However, if you're in bad pain from the bone harvesting in the hip, you may be glad they leave you in there a while, so you can receive some really good pain management prior to going home. I'm not sure as to why they're wanting to keep you that long, but my guess would be that it's because of the hip rather than the actual ACDF. Just my very unprofessional opinion.

I'll keep you in my prayers and please keep us posted as to your status. I pray that you have the same great results that i've had.

God bless you,
    Pastor Robbie

Old 05-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: How many days in hospital in the US/UK for ACDF?

For my ACDF I was in the hospital for 2 nights. Here in the US most insurance companies will pre-authorize 1-2 nights in the hospital for a 2-3 level ACDF. They will authorize further time if needed - the physician just has to explain the need for it and get further authorization.

Years ago I had back surgery (L4-S1) and was supposed to be in for 2 nights. The original plan had been L5-S1 fusion - but when they couldn't get that to work they went up to L4-S1. I ended up in for 6 nights - but mostly becuase my doctor didn't want me released until I had a custom brace made for my back. Since it was a holiday weekend this took a few days thus I was in for 6 nights.

I have seen that the UK and Australia tend to allow for more time in the hospital than US Insurance companies (they'll save a $ any way they can here).

Closed Thread