It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Arms go numb when laying down - when is surgery necessary?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
    brendaks1
    Inactive
    (female)

brendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB User
    Arms go numb when laying down - when is surgery necessary?

Hi, all!

I usually hang out on the back board due to a prior laminectomy/discectomy at L4/L5 and an upcoming possibly fusion at the same level.

Part of my work up with my lower back problems included a cervical MRI due to hyperactive reflexes in my knee. The MRI shows that I have a small central protrusion at C5-C6 and another small central protrusion, broad-based bulge and annular tear at C6-C7. The thecal sac is not being compromised.

I have noticed over the last year or so that when I lay down on my back and have my arms off to my side both my inner hands (pinky and ring fingers) and arms below the elbow go completely numb within a couple of minutes. I don't have radiating pain down my arms in the normal course of my day. I have not had the opportunity to discuss this with my surgeon yet but plan to soon, and I can see on the dermatome charts this is likely due to the problems at C6-C7.

How likely is it that this may improve or stay the same over time? Is there anything I can do or not do to prevent it from getting worse? I really don't want to have surgery on my neck in addition to my lower back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
    Lynnetter
    (female)

Lynnetter HB User
    Re: Arms go numb when laying down - when is surgery necessary?

Definitely ask your surgeon--may also want to do cervical X-rays in flexion and extension--MRI is in one position, sometimes with bending the segments may be unstable, especially with the hyperreflexia.

Also you may have soft tissue tightness in the front of the neck and arms--like a thoracic outlet--that can cut off circulation--but have it all checked out.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

You'll have to see if this is caused by cervical problems or perhaps something like thoracic outlet syndrome (can cause similar symptoms). If certain neck positioning brings the symptoms on it may indeed need to be examined further to see if surgery is a viable option.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
    Nicole74
    (female)

Nicole74 HB UserNicole74 HB User

My right arm and sometimes my left arm would completely go numb when laying down, the feeling of them falling asleep. On two occasions my entire body from the waist up was numb upon waking up. I was a bit scared. I had an acdf on March 3rd and I have not had that happen. However, I still have the normal numbness and pain in my right arm.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
    esker
    Veteran
    (male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

I had this and it wasn't a cervical problem. So I went to an older more experienced massage therapist trained in orthopedic massage. She worked on the pectoralis minor muscles and got my rounded shoulders to go back to a more normal position. The nerves for the arm pass under this muscle so when you lie on your back they get compressed.

Then she taught me how to do stretches to keep it that way. I had to go once a week for a month, then every other week for a month. Now I go once a month for maintenance. It cost about 70 dollars, less if you buy a package deal. Insurance doesn't pay for it.

Last edited by esker; 05-09-2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: typos

Closed Thread