It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Massage after ACDF?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
    Bobbyboo
    (female)

Bobbyboo HB User
    Massage after ACDF?

Hi Everyone

I am now 3 months post ACDF and am still having some tightness/spasms in my neck and shoulder area. Before I had my op I had some sort of massage by a physio whereby she massaged deeply the areas around and between the disks. It was very relaxing although unfortunately I was in agony for days afterwards as neither of us realised the extent or location of my problem at that time. I was wondering, now that I am 'fixed' would a professional massage at this stage be safe or therapeutic? Any thoughts please? I don't see my consultant until next month to ask him.

Also I just wanted a wee moan as well (yep another one!). After my op I booked a family holiday for later in the year and was told by my insurer that they would not be able to insure me to fly until I was at least 3 months post ACDF and to ring them back at that point. Two weeks ago my holiday company went bust and I had no insurance.

Bobbyboo x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
    Lynnetter
    (female)

Lynnetter HB User
    Re: Massage after ACDF?

Sorry about the trip and insurance thing. Sometimes in PT you have aides help out--so only have a real PT/physio work on you. Even after surgery, you need to preserve some muscle tightness to support your spine--so breaking all that up will lose your support and you will feel worse. A light massage to increase circulation is ok--can use moist heat and do some easy stretching---but you should call your MD's office--call in your question--even if it isn't time to see him. Can also get TENS--and get on an easy exercise program so you train yourself to use the right muscles. Some people like ice if you have lots of information--but heat is better for circulation.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I have continued massage post ACDF. I told my massage therapist about the surgery and to not try to move my neck beyond a safe range of motion. I can always tell her when to stop. She does less manual manipulation of my neck and now concentrates more on massage. I went back to my therapist at about 3 months post ACDF. But I have a friend who is a massage therapist and he would try to help with muscle spasms after the surgery - but gently and not on a table (with me sitting in front of him).

Old 05-10-2009, 03:52 AM   #4
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Bobby, I have the same, tight & sore in the same areas as you & in my upper back. I am forever rubbing my neck.
    MY PT would massage & it felt wonderful. I would sometimes go in with a headaches & come out with none. I wish I could have just brought her home with me. I would say go for it as long as the person doing the massage knows what their doing.
    I am sorry about the trip thats a bummer, just what you did not need at this time. I am 5mnths at the end of may here & I dont yet feel up to any vacation either. Hoping by june. Let us know if you give the massage a try & how it works out for you. Take care & god bless, Sammy

Closed Thread