It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 4-Week Post-Op Dr's Appointment!!! :)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
    Robbie445
    (male)

Robbie445 HB User
    4-Week Post-Op Dr's Appointment!!! :)

Well, 4 weeks ago yesterday (Thursday April 23rd) I had ACDF Surgery on Levels C5-6-7. Pre-surgery, I had moderate cord compression at both levels and some loss of sensation in my left hand, pins and needles in the same hand and feet. I also had tremendous pain in my chest, left shoulder, left arm and left side of my head. Sometimes the headaches were like Migraines with nausea and all. I was very miserable to say the least. I also have disc disease on all levels above, but not to the point of messing with them.

Following surgery I was told to spend most of my time resting, walking 30 minutes per day, lifting no more than 5lbs or less and spending 4 hours per day wearing a bone fusion stimulator around my neck. I've spent the past month following those instructions without waiver.

The first week and half, I was in bad pain. It then begin getting better, but still had some flare-ups of pain off and on. Now ALL of my Pre-surgery symptoms are COMPLETELY gone. The pins & needles, the loss of sensation, and the particular pain that I felt then are all gone. THANK GOD!!!

I saw my surgeon Wednesday, (May 20th) 4 weeks Post-Op and he was impressed at my recovery. I was initially taking Avinza (Morphine), Norco (Hydrocodone) and Soma on a continual basis. I'd been on that regimen for a while before surgery as well. I've now discontinued the Avinza altogether. Norco is still being used once or twice a day, as needed along with Soma for some residual Muscle pain and spasms, which are simply due to surgery and the spinal cord readjustment. This will pass. I've now been released to Drive, Preach, Sing and get back to my regular schedule, as I feel up to it. He has also raised my lifting restriction from 5lbs to 25lbs. He said that he doesn't do that for everyone, but because I'm such a big guy with large muscle mass, that it would probably be very beneficial for my muscles to do that.

I will see the surgeon again in 3 months. Until then, he does want me to continue with the Bone Fusion Stimulator everyday for 4 hours.

The bottom line for me is that this surgery has been a total success!!! I am so grateful that I had it done. I'm very thankful for all of you who have advised me during this process and who encouraged me to have this done. It was definitely the right decision.

I would highly recommend that anyone who has spinal cord compression or who is living with a progressive disc disease in your cervical spine and your not finding relief or improvement from other treatments... I would recommend finding a GOOD NEUROSURGEON that you're very comfortable with and look at having this ACDF Surgery performed. Then FOLLOW THE DR.S ORDERS COMPLETELY! The surgery itself is really not bad at all, but the results Can Possibly Be Tremendous.

I pray that everyone of you can have the same positive experience with this surgery that I have. It's been great and I am very grateful to God and my surgeon for a job well done.

God bless you all and I apologize for the length of this email, but I just wanted to share!

Pastor Robbie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
    Surgery042909
    (female)

Surgery042909 HB User
    Re: 4-Week Post-Op Dr's Appointment!!! :)

That is great Pastor Robbie. I am 3 weeks post opt now. I also have had a total resolution of the pre-op smyptoms. I was on Vicodin for only 4 days post op. My biggest obstacle was an incision infection which has now been resolved. It is by far the best thing I could have done. You and others have made this journey better. I know I don't know you but I feel like we travelled this together in a way since our recommendatin for surgery, pre-op symptoms and surgery dates were so close to each other. I am really glad you are doing so well. Thanks everyone for being here.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
    Stonepile
    Inactive
    (female)

Stonepile HB User

Hi Pastor Robbie,
    I unfortunately was unfamiliar with HealthBoards until after I had my ACDF (same as yours C5 - C7) and was searching for inforamation on some post op symptoms. During my search it was almost scarey and I'm glad that I didn't end up joining some of the other sites because many of them were so negative. I must admit that finding your posts were encouraging and gave me hope.

So, I'm going to join you and Surgery42909 by giving a positive testimony as to how thankful I am to have had the surgery. I too had intense shooting pain from my neck down thru my arm. I could actually trace what I assume was the nerve path from my neck down to my index finger which was completely numb. I was also experiencing muscle spasms and twitching. I survived on pain meds and and muscle relaxers for two months until I finally was referred to a nuerosurgeon. I am soooooooo thankful that he did the surgery and to all those who prayed for him as he was operating! It sure seems like a miracle to me. I am six weeks post op today and have no more pain, numbness or muscle spasms. If you are looking for encouraging outcomes you have several to give you reason to consider the surgery if that is what you are trying to decide.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

I am excited for you and your great results! My personal advice is to continue to take very good care of yourself for the next year. I know what the surgeon told you, but I also know from my own and lots of others here, you are still in a sensitive position for a while until you have fully fused. Your body will go through lots of healing stages. Watch your positions, lifting, and activities. Listen to your body, you may find yourself going from pain free days to all of a sudden some days of pain from new activities. Just take good care of yourself and you will be fine! Do check in once and while and let us know how you are doing. Best Regards, NP

Old 05-23-2009, 03:48 AM   #5
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Its great to hear from you Pastor. NP gave you good advice. I am 5 mnths post op here in a few days. Be careful, especially with lifting. Your doing great.
    I had some awsome days of pain control with levels of 3 or 4s which for me is great, I tend to over do it & pay after.
    I am happy for you all & think its great that you put the good stories up for others to see, as there are alot of successful fusions, just dont get talked about as much. So thanks I sure you'll help ease some minds. God bless, Sam

Closed Thread