It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• T10 & t11 spinal chord surgery help !!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
    AmericanInCA
    (female)

AmericanInCA HB User
    Thumbs up T10 & t11 spinal chord surgery help !!

Has anybody had this operation? My friend is having this surgery. Her doctor is at Cedar Sinai in Beverly Hills and has explained this surgery to her .. I just wanted to find some people that have had it done and what is their outcome?

The disc between these vertebrae has herneated into her spinal chord and is pressing on it, her doctor says paralysis is inevitable if she does nothing, to say that she is scared is an understatement. Her doctor has explained that the surgery will be from the back, not going through the front of her chest. He also said he will have to remove 2 or 3 ribs.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you so much.
    God Bless.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-04-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: T10 & t11 spinal chord surgery help !!

Much depends on the specific type of surgery being done. The majority of spinal surgery is done from the back (posterior). If the disc is impinging the spinal cord then the surgery does make sense and would be necessary to avoid permanent impairments. I'm not sure about the rib removal - would need more information as to why ribs are involved.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:27 AM   #3
    Jema X
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jema X HB User

The ribs are removed so that the surgeons can access the thoracic spine - otherwise they are in the way. Don't fear, the surgeon will put them back

I've had this surgery at T8 and T9 and though it's not a walk in the park, it's much less scary and painful than the transverse approach. It took a few days before I was up and about but once I was walking around, the pain subsided. I don't regret having this surgery and will do it againbecause it looks like I need to. Pilates is also wonderful for recovery - I've just had another fusion and can't wait to get into it. A couple of supervised classes 3 months after surgery might be the perfect gif. I'm so glad I found it becaus thoracic injuries are very complex.

Good luck to you and your friend, you're lucky to have each other

Old 05-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Jema:

Wow, that is amazing. I never considered how the ribs could be involved (I'm only a lumbar/cervical surgery vet).

Closed Thread