It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• short memory loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
    dossie
    (female)

dossie HB User
    short memory loss

I HAD A ACDF MAY 1ST. I REMEMBER COMING HOME BUT NOW I HAVE A HARD TIME WITH SHORT TERM, DIDNT HAVE A PROBLEM UNTIL I HAD MY SURGERY, IS THIS NORMAL? MY DOC NOW WANTS TO DO A CT OF MY BRAIN. NOW I AM CONVINCED I HAVE A TUMOR. YOU DO NEED TO KMOW I HAVE OCD, SO ADD THAT TO ALL OF THIS. HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP DOSSIE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: short memory loss

I had major memory problems after my second neck surgery and they did a CT and everything else. Turned out to be from the pain meds. What are you taking????

gentle hugs..........Jenny

Old 06-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
    dossie
    (female)

dossie HB User

150mg. luvox daily,hydrocodone+apap 7.5/500 1-2 every 6 hrs. symbyax for menyal issues 6mg/25mg. but didnt start taking last med. listed until after surgery. this started the day i came home after surgery. helppppppppppppp dossie

Old 06-07-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Doss, I can tell you I had the exact same problem after my surgery. thought I was loosing it on some days. I Have heard the anasthesia can cause this to happen. There is a name for it but of course I cant remember what its called. You may want to ask your surgeon it this is a possability.

I would have such mental blocks to at times. I could not remember things like how to spell words, simple words, where the keys were on the key board, what I said to someone or what was said to me, where I put things & so on...... It was so bad at times it drove me crazy. It has improved some what but it did take along time. My surgery was the end of dec.
    I think now some of it is my age, perhaps something like perimenapause perhaps ( I'm hoping). I dont feel I am back to where I was before surgery but as I said its not as bad. This went on for months.
    Freaked me out for awhile because it was so bad. I started writing everything down. I could not even think of what words to use when I was talking to someone. you know, could not put the words together or would use the wrong words. Very strange, I just could not remember the simplest of things.
    For example I would go back & read something I had posted or wrote & could not believe I wrote that. Hard to describe. I would repeat myself at times to. Oddly enough I am ADHD to.
    I really did wonder if something had occured during the surgery. I read on my surgical report that my BP drastically dropped which is not uncommon for my BP but that was it. I am on the same meds I was preop so I dont think in my case it was the meds. Hope this helps you out but a CT would not hurt & may ease your mind. Good luck & god bless, Sammy

Old 06-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
    trychocolate
    (female)

trychocolate HB User

There are many possibilites but it's hard for me to let this one go. If it is hormonal, look out, cause it gets even more interesting in menopause. I have a hard time claiming this because I've had to slow my body down substantially from the spine problems and now the brain? Am not on any pain meds except at night, to get at least some sleep in, so no excuse there but maybe could be a factor.

I had seizures growing up stemming in memory area of brain. I get them rarely now but I can't dismiss this as part of the problem and I do 'fester' occasionally about dimentia or alzheimers being next. I get tested regularly for seizure and stroke activety for reasons I won't to go into; don't want to hijack this thread.

Just wanted to add: not to panic as that mulitiplies these issues, like any other. Our brains/bodies can do an amazing amount of compensating and rerouting when there are deficits, and I have had to live with this all my life in addition to other onslaughts. I have appreciated the patience of posters when I get their stories or names mixed up when I am sure I have it straight. ugh.

So I don't know how old you are and am not discounting other possibilites for sure. I hope you find some answers. But if you are over 35, you will learn a kind of humility, humor, and patience you never thought possible. Welcome!

not all there but seldom completely absent,
    choc

Closed Thread