It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• does surgery fix cervical spinal stenosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
    memerri
    (female)

memerri HB User
    does surgery fix cervical spinal stenosis

does surgery fix cervical spinal stenosis? I was told that I have bruising on my cord and that I really need surgery. I am no long having any symptoms other then a little stiffness in my neck no more pain no more numbness So I am scared. I haven't heard of anyone coming out of this 100% and there are SO many side affects even if the surgery us successful

Last edited by memerri; 06-06-2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: update

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: does surgery fix cervical spinal stenosis

Hi Memerri. There is a new surgery out there for cervical stenosis called a laminoplasty. No fusion is involved. the bone is removed over the back of the spine and re-shaped to make it thinner and then replaced with added bone grafts to make you a new and much larger spinal canal.

As far as I know only neurosurgeons do this surgery and finding one is not easy. Look for a hospital attached to a major medical center or university hospital. I've had the surgery and it worked beautifully.

So when you start looking for a doc, look for a neurosurgeon who does ONLY spine surgery and ask if he/she does a laminoplasty. If the answer is no, keep looking. It's fusions that cause all the problems you hear about. Our bodies want to move and when you stop the spine from moving, pain is the normal result. So no fusion is the answer and this is the newest answer to this problem. It's been around for several years now so you should be able to find someone who does it.

If you'd like to PM me with your email, I'll send you a website that gives you lots of info on laminoplasties and where you can find a listing of spine docs in your area to see who does it.

gentle hugs.................Jenny

Closed Thread