It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Is it possible to feel plate after ACDF?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
    Stonepile
    Inactive
    (female)

Stonepile HB User
    Is it possible to feel plate after ACDF?

It's been eight weeks since my ACDF C5 - C7 surgery. Is it normal to feel like there is a big lump that I have to swallow past and that often "feels like" it gets stuck on top of the plate? Is it even possible? Has anyone else experienced this? I suppose it's possible that I'm just weird!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Is it possible to feel plate after ACDF?

Boy, does that question make me feel happy I had a posterior! Nothing gets "stuck" but with my rods I feel like "I grew a spine".

Jenny

Old 06-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
    want a good out
    (female)

want a good out HB User

Some times it feels like something is stuck in my throat or it has trouble going down. If they did the anterior approach, it is because of moving everything to the side. It will go away if that is what it is from.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
    gigi1930
    (female)

gigi1930 HB User

Yes, In time this should pass. I had a C5-6 Anterior Fusion done February 13th and it took me several weeks before the feeling started to go away or I just got use to it, which I don't know. but it is gone now. You had a two level fusion, so I would think it is going to hang around longer for you than it did for me.
    Also the plate that they used is longer than they used on me. Your fusion also came down lower in your throat area than mine did. They also told me that they had to move a nerve in that area when they done the surgery on me and I'm almost sure they had to do the same on you. Please, I know your worried about having to live with that feeling, but I'm sure it will pass as mine did, it will just take you a little longer due to you having a 2 level fusion.

Hope this gives you some comfort in mind, I know it is annoying; it was for me too.

Good Luck! I hope your fusion takes beautifully.

Gigi

Old 06-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
    Stonepile
    Inactive
    (female)

Stonepile HB User

Thanks for the replies! It is always reassuring to know that you're not the only one in the world that is experiencing a particular symptom. Even though I'd like it to be gone more quickly, hearing that it lasted several weeks for you and you think it will probably last longer for me at least gives me some comfort.

Jenny - I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say that they were "happy I had a posterior." I'm glad I could help you think a positive thought about it.

Stonepile

Old 06-14-2009, 05:29 AM   #6
    Jema X
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jema X HB User

Hey Stonepile,

Yes, I have exactly the same thing and was actually about to look and see if I could find someone else with this so long after surgery. My acdf was only one level C5/6 and was done 3 weeks ago. I have a big lump in my throat that it feels like I have to swallow over - does that make sense? Sometimes my throat gets stuck when I'm eating and I just have to keep trying to swallow and eventually it goes down.

I do think it's just temporary, my scar is right sided but goes about 4cms over my throat and to the left side (something to do with difficulty putting in the screws? will ask surgeon when I see him), so it really looks like my throat has been cut. From how others explained it, it would be in the crease of my neck but mine goes well over my throat and to the other side. Does anyone else's scar go over to the other side?

I hope you're going well with your recovery

J

Old 06-14-2009, 06:10 AM   #7
    Linda1652
    Inactive
    (female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

My husband had a 2 level done last July. He has a hard time swallowing. He has had all the tests, but the ENT is blaming the plate. He also has a chronic cough. Most people DON'T have these issues.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
    Stonepile
    Inactive
    (female)

Stonepile HB User

JemaX- Thanks for sharing with me. My scar is healing well (After the scab was completly gone I bought some scar cream and have been using that. It makes my throat itch if I use it as often as it says so I only put it on twice a day). My scar does go across my trachea to the other side about 2.5 cm. Altogether I'd say my scar is about 6.5cm.

My swallowing is better. Within the last two weeks I'd say noticably so. However, that feeling like I have to swallow over something hasn't gone away. It comes and goes during the day as far as how big it feels. When I notice it the most is when I've lectured for an hour or after singing in chuch. Those two times, lecturing and singing is when it feels like the swelling part gets stuck on top of the plate. It has also felt like that on several other ocassions.

I am having issues with my thyroid since surgery and maybe it's possible that the swollen feeling still hanging around is due to that. (But my thyroid was messing up long before then. I've been hypo for 15 years and it has been stable for years until the last 9 months or so). It really doesn't seem that
    would be the cause then.

Your swelling will get better. Three weeks post op is not very long. How are you feeling otherwise? How's your energy level? I started back to work after three weeks, part time.

Best wishes to you. Take good care of yourself!

Kelly

Old 06-14-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I will be 6mths postop the end of the month & yes I do experiance that. Not constantly but it does occur. Its really strange as it does feel like something is stuck in there. I thought perhaps it was inflammation of some sort. I even thought of asking the surgeon at my next visit which is wed.

So I'm glad its not just me. I was alittle concerned due to the severity at times but as I said its not always there.
    My scar does not exactly fall into the crease of my neck but I just noticed its not as visable as it was. I guess it just takes time.

Sammy

Old 06-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #10
    gigi1930
    (female)

gigi1930 HB User

My Neuro-Surg warned me that I would have this sensation after surgery and that it may take weeks for it to go away. It just depends on the person, everbody heals at a different pace. And remember worrying slows the healing process.

Just remember, a diet high in protein promotes the building and repair of tissue in the body. A good source of vitamin C, and Natural Vitamin E (D-Alpha tocopheryl) and a vitamin B-100 complex; I take these to help with the healing of the nerves and tissues.

PLEASE CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN BEFORE TAKING ANY OF THESE VITAMIINS/SUPPLEMENTS!!!!

Artical Quoted,"The results suggest that an E-deficient diet affects food intake, impairs nerve regeneration, and decreases type II fibers, whereas an E-sufficient diet contributes to normal axon regeneration."

Another article I read Quoted,"Peripheral neuropathy may occur as a result of malnutrition, for which there are many causes including poor nutrition caused by an unbalanced diet and/or alcoholism. Additionally, a clear link has been established between a lack of vitamin B12 and peripheral neuropathy.

VITAMIN B12 DEFICIENCY
    Vitamin B12 is an essential dietary nutrient—a B12 deficiency can lead to a number of serious conditions including peripheral neuropathy.

Vitamin B12 deficiency is common in the United States, especially among the elderly. It is estimated that between 10% and 25% of the people over 80 years of age may have a B12 deficiency. There are several causes of B12 deficiency. A strict vegetarian diet may promote a B12 deficiency because animal-based foods such as red meat, dairy products, fish, poultry and eggs are the only recognized source of dietary B12. A lack of B12, or the inability of stomach acids to aid in the absorption, also causes this deficiency. Consequently, drugs that reduce stomach acid should be taken with B12 supplements. A number of other conditions, procedures, and drugs are associated with a reduced the ability to absorb B12. These include autoimmune diseases, pernicious or unexplained anemia, pancreatic diseases, ileal resection, Crohn's disease, HIV infection, gastritis, gastric or small intestine surgeries, malabsorption syndromes, multiple sclerosis, and use of histamine2 receptor antagonists or proton pump inhibitors.

A lack of vitamin B12 can cause serious anemia, nerve damage and degeneration of the spinal cord. It is common for anemia to develop first, but this is not always the case, especially if a person is taking a folate supplement. A lack of B12 damages the myelin sheath that surrounds and protect nerves. Without this protection, nerves cease to function properly and conditions such as peripheral neuropathy occur. Even B12 deficiency that is relatively mild may affect the nervous system and the proper functioning of the brain. The nerve damage caused by a lack of B12 may become permanently debilitating, if the underlying condition is not treated.

SYMPTOMS AND SIGNS
    (Not all symptoms and signs may be present.)

Lack of coordination
    Pain, numbness, and tingling in hands or feet
    Sensory loss
    Weakness

AGAIN, PLEASE CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN BEFORE YOU TAKE ANY OF THESE VITAMINS/SUPPLEMENTS!!!!

These are the things that the nurses should be teaching their patients.

My scar on the right side of my neck burns and stings and itches. The itching is of course the healing process but the other has me concerned.
    I have been referred to a pain clinic and the Dr. is planning on doing a cervical epidural C5-6 and I am scared to death. The point at which the spinal cord ends is T12. I've already had the biggest scare of my life, C5-6 disk ruptured directly onto my spinal cord; the Dr. stated it was a huge rupture. The Dr. at the pain clinic state that I was a very lucky girl, that under the circumstances I should have been paralyzed. God was with me, there is no doubt in my mind. The apprehension, anxiety, etc. and what I had been going through with my elder mother (79) with the starting of ALZ., Major depression, Psychosis (hallucinations, delusions, personality changes,Etc.) I was almost to the point of a nervous breakdown. And then the rupture happened in Jan. 2009, while carrying my mothers groceries in her house.
    I had been out of work since 2004 due to my health, (total hysterectomy, slammed my finger in car door and ended up with blood poisoning/septic; so 2 hospital stays) and trying to care for my mother.
    I am the only family there is, so there was no one to help, not even friends.
    Now I'm in this condition and went to try to file for my disability and they are saying since I haven't worked 5 out of the last 10 years I do not qualify.

What do you do? There is no help.

Last edited by gigi1930; 06-14-2009 at 08:45 AM.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
    gigi1930
    (female)

gigi1930 HB User

Even though I had an anterior cervical fusion I still have the feeling as if I have a broom stick stuck up the back of my neck some of the time.

Pain Free days and nights for all

Old 06-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
    Stonepile
    Inactive
    (female)

Stonepile HB User

Gigi1930 - First off, I just want to thank-you for all the information. I try to eat healthy and only when I was pregnant have I really taken vitamins. I do know that Vitamin D is becoming the "in" thing to be tested for these days. (Although Vitamin D isn't really a vitamin, but a hormone of sorts.) It appears that you have done a lot of research on nerve health.

Secondly, I don't really know about what constitutes eligibility for disability payments. It doesn't seem right that if a person is too injured/sick to be able to work that they can't get disability. When you checked into it did they give you any direction at all? Maybe somebody on the board will have had a similar circumstance and be able to give you some help.

Keep in touch,
    Stonepile

Old 06-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
    trychocolate
    (female)

trychocolate HB User

Hi Stonepile,

Like I've said before, I find it more than amusing to have symptoms of those who have had the surgery and I have not. I've had that 'swallowing over something', huge lump in throat, for many years with no answers. Swallowing tests show delay there. I assume it's a combination of effects of ant. and post. osteophytes and reverse lordosis and discs into the spinal cord all in one spot. I know, you are impressed that I can figure that out and dr can't. My point is, when they do that surgery, does it ever affect that natural curve a bit and cause the kind of symptoms you are having. I thought I had read that here before but not sure.

As for vitamins, supplements, and all that, I take a fair amount each day and I don't notice benefits. Even vitamin D, no less, B's, C's, you name it. I even take turmeric, bromelain supposedly for inflammation. I continue to feel not so good and must be taking them in case it helps something. I am glad that some are so informed and it's working for them but I would never try to make someone feel that they should jump on the bandwagon just because it works for some people. I might be sounding rude here, but not a good day. Yesterday was better and I'm glad for that.

Anyway, I hope your problems in that throat area improve as although we don't like to complain, it is most aggrevating, to say the least.

yours cheerfully,
    choc

--------------
    no surgery ever; plates (dinner only)
    somewhat aggrevated some of the time

Old 06-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #14
    Stonepile
    Inactive
    (female)

Stonepile HB User

Hey TC, (I almost put Choc, but that is Jenny's nickname for you, so I'll shorten your name to TC

Maybe you are suffering from sympathetic pain? Truly have you never had spine surgery? How do you know all this stuff???????? Maybe you and Jenny are twins and you are the receiver twin! (I'm just kidding.) Boy, you sure do have a lot of symptoms. I thought that maybe you'd had these symptoms for a long time. Have you really just recently started experiencing all this? I need to go back and read all your posts.

I know that you are feeling rotten and I sure wish that your appointment would hurry up and get here. You said that today was not a good day. What's up? Anything new? You will call your doctor that takes good care of you if you had a real emergency wouldn't you? Are you allowed to do that?

Thanks for the info about checking up on the change of the spinal curve and how it might affect that swelling/swallowing issue. I'll check into that. Take care, TC! I'm holding my breath until your MRI.

Kelly

Old 06-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #15
    trychocolate
    (female)

trychocolate HB User

Mabye I should start a new thread or something. I woke up with lots to look forward to today but with completely blocked ears. Occasionally, I'll get intermittant pain into the ear but not this. So you add it altogether with all the other stuff and Ms. Positivety was a little peeved, put out, feeling like a putz. No mind, Saturday was superb so something recent and nice to look back on. So maybe I'll post questions if it doesn't clear up tommorrow.

My symptoms started over 6 years ago after having a bad neck& lumbar most of my life. It progressively worsens and because of the current system, surgery is not an option for all the numbness, loss of feeling, gait problems, rubber hands and on....So we'll just see with this next MRI which I will be demanding a copy of. Perhaps it will be Spielberg quality complete with opening night and special guests only (you of course),

Beddy bye time for me---stay out of trouble okay, or eh.... as we say here,
    choc

Closed Thread