It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• question about fusion with bone morphogenic protein (BMP)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
    question about fusion with bone morphogenic protein (BMP)

I am going to be having a posterior fusion after a failed ACDF. It will only be at level C5-6. Had my appointment with the surgeon, and he said he is going to wire the lamina together and put some bone morphogenic protein (BMP) on the sides to encourage the fusion from the back since my first one didn't take. So, I've been thinking about this, and I am wondering how they prevent the bone formation from growing into the spinal column and affecting the space for the spinal cord. The area where they are putting it is so close to the spinal cord that I wonder what will happen if the bone grows really well and indents into the cord. Do you guys know what I mean? Has anyone else had a posterior fusion with this material?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: question about fusion with bone morphogenic protein (BMP)

Yeah, my whole neck is done with it. It hasn't encroached on my cord at all and my doc does regular x-rays to make sure. He also used donor bone soaked in the stuff where he needed more bone to work with. My C6 vertebra was so bad they couldn't even get any screws into it(not enough bone) so it's just sitting there held to the other veretbrae by pressure and the bone grafts.

I fell 3 weeks post-op. Lost my balance trying to pick up a dropped pill. I leaned forward and then fell backwards on my tailbone and rolled backwards and hit my head and neck on the fridge(with hard collar on). X-rays showed everything was fine so that stuff must really speed up the fusion process. I figured I had broken my neck and ...nothing....zip....nada. So.... I LOVE BMP!

gentle hugs..............Jenny

Closed Thread