It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Just need to scream and vent somewhere

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Just need to scream and vent somewhere

To the new people - I am so sorry you are dealing with spine issues. I have been on this road since 2004. Like myself and the other longer timers here down the road you will discover all the tricks and little things you can do to keep yourself in as best possible situation, but even then, every so often you vary from your routine and bam it hits you straight in the middle of your forehead and you have to start all over trying to get yourself in check. That is what has happened to me. Usually I find the best way to get over the initial shock and depression is to vent, get it out, then figure out what to do!

I have cervical, thoracic and lumbar problems. Recently trying to calm down the lumbar bi-lateral leg sciatica. I agreed to lumbar epidural injections and physical therapy. The epidurals are a story in themselves, I won't go into it here. Started PT again, afterall I thought it's been maybe 15 months since I tried it last time - maybe something changed! I am a person who doesn't do well with the PT. It badly flares up all my nerve pain, and I should have reminded myself of that fact before I agreed to start again. But trying to be a good patient, I agreed to try again.

Well - now I am flared up bad in my thoracic after just one session! I got to PT which I thought was going to focus on something for the sciatica and the PT decided that my thoracic was so locked up, stiff, and tense that we needed to focus there as a priority. All we did was a simple heat treatment for 15 minutes and then light touch desensitation therapy because the PT thinks I have an additonal problem going on with the sympathetic ganglion nerves to the thoracic. Well I don't exactly know what all that means at this point - but I do know that just a stupid little, barely there, light touching has now put me on the heating pad full time, my meds aren't helping today, and I am just frustrated about this.

Does anyone understand this and what did you do to calm it down?

Last edited by PNo; 06-16-2009 at 10:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2009, 05:00 AM   #2
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Re: Just need to scream and vent somewhere

I'm sorry NP, the same just happened to me. Had a therapist try a new form of therapy & I warned her I did not think I would respond well & it put me in agony.

I think feelbad may be able to help you out with this one. Not positive but I believe she has mentioned about sympathetic ganglion in the past.

I am giving a different type of therapy a try, craniosacral where they use different methods of PT then traditional. They use FSM (frequency specific microcurrent) & a couple visits they hooked me up to this for an extended time & this is the one thing that brought me relief. Could not believe all I was able to do for a few days after & the activites did not spike my pain levels way up. The problem is it did not last so I'm still trying. Then a PT tried this other form, much like osteopathic, trying to move my shoulder & ribs & so on..... & that brought me back to sqaure one.
    Its frustrating when you attempt something to help with the pain & it backfires.

If this PT thinks this is where you may have a problem perhaps there is something your doctor can do that will help to bring more relief in the future.Then at least all this pain would not be all for nothing. My old PT was great at helping me figure out what was going on in there & she was very often correct & a step ahead of the doctors. She left for a new job & thats when I decided to seek a new form of therapy as I knew traditional would backfire on me when it came to certain areas of my body.

I'm sure Marcia will pop on here, hopefully she can help you out here. good luck & I hope it calms down for you soon. Sammy

Old 06-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey NP,sammy PMed me so i knew you needed some guidance with the stellate thing. been down this road myself. when YOU are actually asking for help hon, i KNOW it has to be pretty bad for you, you are usually the 'giver/informer" in this stuff ya know?

the one thing i need to ask you among others is just EXACTLY what is going on with that hypersensitive area and how far does it go, where is it actually located? are you having ANY and i mean ANY other symptoms from out of the norm of what you would usually see with the more radiculopathic stuff like swelling in ANY area there or an overly cold or hot area, espescially where you are having the hypersensitivity happening? or any unusual sweating going on anywhere there?

when any PM decides to try a stellate block on a patient it is usually to either rule in or rule out a possible sympathetic source or generator for your type of pain/symptoms.
    just what is the extent of the most significant findings/problems within your c and T spine areas? any actual cord contact EVER at some point?

there are actually two extremely hypersensitive types of pain syndromes that do not in any way shape or form really reaspond to any narcotics that sound like what you could possibly be dealing with here. unfortuently i have both, the RSD is in my right knee on down thru my foot and the other syndrome is called "central pain syndrome". the central is actually triggered when a particular tract within the actual spinal cord is being affected or has been damaged, the spinothalamic tract. mine occured during my angioma removal surgery since that glob actually sat smack in the middle of that particular tract. this creates a stinging non stop more surfacy type of hell without ANY other real outward symptoms(i personally describe it as feeling like a second degree burn that retains all that very same level of hypersensitivity that just never heals). it just 'is',ya know what i mean? but the affected areas just 'look' perfect, no signs/symptoms or anything. but with RSD/CRPS(the newer name for RSD) there are signs and symptoms other than 'just" the stinging or deeper burning that you get with RSD, or a sympathetically generated pain.

when i hit my PMs door after trying to just find ways to calm the central down for months post op. despite my NSs assurances and my thoughts too just given what i had reserched as far as how it forms and what i was feeling went that this WAS pretty defintiely actual cental and not sympathetic like my knee was. my PM wanted to make certain it was not also RSD so he did that stellate block. you know they have hit the right spot when something called a horners syndrome develops in at least one eye? this IS a very temporary thing and goes away when the block actually dissapates. but one pupil constricts along with having the eyelid also droop some. this just lets the PM know that they DID indeed hit that stellate ganglion right on. after that block gets done,you just gage how your pain feels over about an hour or two? if there is ANY loss of pain or change in your painmthen it is assumed that you DO have at least some levelof actual sympathetic generator. if nothing actually changes at all,then chances are it is not. but like i mentioned above, if you have had even a very severe herniation that compromised the anterior of your cord area, it could possibly be central. there are actually two seperate thalamic tracts in our cords. one(the one that got damaged in me) that sits left lateral within the cord. the other sits kind of directly behind the discs at that anterior of the cord. this one is as you already know just by location alone, is much more vulnerable and possible to have some level of damage from certain spinal problems that just affect it to a degree that triggers that nasty central. but that stellate will help in actually dxing the possible sympathtic aspect in all this. it should be able to be ruled in or out after the one block gets done. alot depends upon seeing that horners so the PM knows he actually hit that stellate gangloin.

giving the injections a shot just to see what may be the underlying genertaor given the level and type of pain you are currently dealing with really should be done NP. if nothing else it would tell you and rule out that SNS as part of it and would allow your doc to move onto other possibilities. unfortuntly until i actually had my SNS damaged and had to do more in depth reaserch on it,i did not have a real clue to just how really vulnerable that SNS is to having lasting damage done to it. the SNS chain actually runs along both sides of our spinal columns so it is really out there and can be hit accidently during just about any real spinal surgery or affceted depending upon just how a particular herniation presents, espescially if it really goes hard to one side of the column.

hopefully the injection will give you and your doc some true solid info just having it done at all. but knowing just what has been affected in you would really help me to help you the best. as far as injections gomthis one is not too bad. it does not take that long to just do it,tho it does actually go into that stellate ganglion in your neck, kind of just to the side of your trachea area? but like i said,its over pretty quickly,then it becomes the waiting game to see how your pain responds to it.

i do wish you lots of luck in just getting that pain properly Dxed and hopefully getting it treated soon. just an fyi for ya here but i have found that the lidocaine patches are really a godsend for the really bad spots when they are flaring up bad. otherwise i don't keep this central covered in hopes that it will actually desensitize like my blades actually somehow did. really shocked me, let me tell ya considering how bad it was when i woke up with this stinging crap in the recovery room with it already there and waiting for me to feel it.

i hope this info helped some NP. if you have any other questions feel free,K? please keep us posted hon,Marcia

Old 06-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Marcia...just thought I'd add that there is another way to end up with those symptoms as I've found out recently. It appears one of my lacunar strokes has hit a part of the spinothalamic tract as the left side of the thoracic spine area hurts (stings actually) most of the time. Nothing relieves it.

Lacunar strokes are tiny strokes that happen in the base of the brain in areas like the thalamus, hypothalamus(probably what brought back so many childhood memories)amygdala(made me burst into tears for no reason) and other structures including the optic nerves. So I hit the spinothalamic tract in the thalamus with one of them.

Luckily, these strokes are the most likely to heal with time and it's slowly getting better but takes months. And I'm starting to figure out exactly which muscles were compromised and it's weird distribution. Means some weird exercises to get to a particular muscle. But that kinda matches my personality so it's fine...I'm weird too!

Take care of yourself and keep on learning...we need you here!

gentle hugs.................Jenny

Old 06-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Thank you all for the fast replies, I appreciate the help! I will come back after my PT appointment and answer the questions. I will also put on a lidocaine patch over the area where I previously had thoracic epidurals left side T5-6-7 since I don't exactly know where these sympathetic nerves are-at least I know where those nerve roots are and it hurts the same way. I will study up when I come back so I understand this more Feelbad!

Back later,NP

Old 06-18-2009, 12:57 AM   #6
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Thank you feelbad for taking the time to look my stuff over. Thanks Sammy for alerting feelbad. Sammy read below. You both gave me some good information to learn something in an area I hadn't really previously studied. I think there might be some connection, so I will spend time getting educated so I can speak to the doc about how to proceed.

[QUOTE=feelbad;4014682]
    the one thing i need to ask you among others is just EXACTLY what is going on with that hypersensitive area and how far does it go, where is it actually located? are you having ANY and i mean ANY other symptoms from out of the norm of what you would usually see with the more radiculopathic stuff like swelling in ANY area there or an overly cold or hot area, espescially where you are having the hypersensitivity happening? or any unusual sweating going on anywhere there?

My specific hypersensitive area is mid back, just left of the spine. Originally it was about bra line left of T6ish and pretty specific, but now since this treatment has expaned to be the left side upper quadrant. Along with this my entire thoracic spine is locked up and hypomobile from a rock hard spasm which has been there time to time before this. My right shoulder and I think that is called the supraspinitis is hard as rock too, but I think that is from the radiculopathy in cervical. I have no swelling, no redness or hot or cold area. There is a burning and of course it is ultra sensitive to light touch but I can wear clothing. The intial touch of the area makes me want to jump, but then I can adjust to it once it happens.l No unusual sweating - only flushing from the lumbar epidural steriods.

just what is the extent of the most significant findings/problems within your c and T spine areas? any actual cord contact EVER at some point?

My very original problem before surgeries was I had cord contact in cervical. I had a extreme nerve root impingement at C4,5,6 and it was at the very roots where it comes out of the cord and it impinged the root and the cord at that time. The cord was flattened but not bad in that area from stenosis.

Post surgeries in my thoracic - I have 3 bulges - 1 had a leak and it didn't look like cord flatenning, only effacement. But then there is still that 2 level vertebral hemangioma I have but it is low at T11/T12 so I don't think it is doing all this. And I don't think this is being generated by my lumbar problems.

Thank you for telling me about spinothalamic tract it is an area I haven't done a lot of reading about. I just read a short info on it and I know I do need to research into this now. The thing that caught my
    eye is this information about it "The types of sensory information transmitted via the spinothalamic tract are described as affective sensation. This means that the sensation is accompanied by a compulsion to act. For instance, an itch is accompanied by a need to scratch, and a painful stimulus makes us want to withdraw from the pain." There is this component to my thoracic pain. I want to withdraw almost uncontrollably to stimulus in that segment of my back. It causes an odd feeling

I am not afraid of getting this type of a block. I have had interscalene blocks in the same area so I believe them to be probably the same in pain.

Sammy - today the PT told me we won't continue the light touch therapy. On Friday he wants to do exactly what you just wrote about the microcurrent. Funny that you are having that done. He said that is the very simplist (easiest on the body) thing to do and if I cannot tolerate it, then we will end PT.

I am a little better today since we didn't do anything to flare me up worse than I was, the lidocaine patch helped alot today, and as you both know, after a day or two of increased pain you kind of adjust to it when you are used to being in pain all the time. Thanks for the support, sometimes I just get broken - ya know! With pain coming from all segments it is tiring sometimes.

Talk to you later, NP

Old 06-18-2009, 03:39 AM   #7
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

NP just want to make sure your PT told you (which I'm sure he did) to drink plenty of water before & after. Mostly before, in order for this to work the body needs to be hydrated. I drink right before or on my way there. If you feel a real prickly sensation have them adjust it asap. Thats the only thing that can be bothersome. The first session with this I did not really feel any relief. It did take me to stay on it an extended time. The owner & head of the crainosacral said some people need to do this, especially someone who has endured damage as long as I did. I would imagine your in the same catagory as I am.
    I have thought in the last couple weeks I imagined the relief as I am back to where I was after the attempt to manipulate my shoulder & ribs, but I know after 2 back to back sessions with this & on the microcurrent an extended 45minutes to an hour longer I was able to do more with less pain. Of course I also was getting alittle therapy & some myo along with the microcurrent. It was great to get to a livable pain level for a couple days & be able to do alittle more activity. Feels like it was just a tease now, as I am back to struggling. I am starting back next week in therapy on the shoulder, may have a couple more sessions on the neck.
    I hope you get some relief. It gets old after while. Let us know how it goes. Sammy

Old 06-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

thanks for the important info NP. unfortuently i don't have much time this morning to get to this as in depth as i need to but i promise to get back to you tomorrow,K? my fingers just kind of started their happy dance after responding to sammys post, so we have to calm them down. that was my fault as i tend to blab too much with my hands sometimes,lol. but i WILL be back,K? again, sorry i can't get this today hon. just a quick question here. just exactly where are the "2 level vertebral hemangioma" within or on that vertebrae itself ot themselves? i am assuming from your description that this is actually IN the vertebrae itself, in the bone? just how do they describe this word for word in an MRI you have had? any approx dimensions?

location can make a huge difference with symptoms and if this has also actually bled at some point too. there are active bleeders and inactive ones. the one inside my cord was unfortunetly active or i would never have allowed it to be touched and removed. but just so you know, the angiomas CAN actually cause their very own types of pain and alot of very odd things to occur too. it could at the very least be causing some levels of problems with what are the lumbar issues, espescially since they are pretty far down there ya know? do you actually feel any really deep bone pain type of pain right AT that level or radiating downwards/inwards?

the one thing i learned about hemangiomas and even the most experienced(not AS experienced with angiomas at all really) NSs i saw about mine? some really do not actually have a real clue about them and what they can actually cause for those of us who have them. i saw 3 seperate seemingly very knowledgable NSs before #3 finally was the ONLY one who truely knew what it ment, and i mean everything about them. he had removed and monitored hundreds of these little buggers for well over 35 years and was the head of NS at the U of MN. that was when i learned what i was really dealing with.

again,sorry i don't have time to really hit all i wanted to touch on here NP,but will be back again soon. hang in there hon, we WILL get you thru this. Marcia

Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

You type so much feelbad, your answers are always very thorough and complete, it's a wonder you don't always have hand cramps! Here are my answers:

[QUOTE=feelbad;4015611] just exactly where are the "2 level vertebral hemangioma" within or on that vertebrae itself ot themselves? i am assuming from your description that this is actually IN the vertebrae itself, in the bone? just how do they describe this word for word in an MRI you have had? any approx dimensions?

It is on the vertebral body bone and not in the marrow. On
    T12 it encompasses 75% of the vertebral body, on T11 it is 25% covered. It does not touch the thecal sac.

do you actually feel any really deep bone pain type of pain right AT that level or radiating downwards/inwards?

I do have lower back pain, and bi-lateral sciatica all the way to my toes. However, I have a medium to large size central herniation at L5/S1 displacing the S1 nerve roots. The only bone pain I have is at the level above near T6ish.

Whenever you get around to it is ok with me,
    NP

Last edited by PNo; 06-18-2009 at 10:20 PM.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

soooo sorry NP to promise you help then go MIA on you here. things have just been a bit insane in my world lately. i was also hung up on the way down here on other boards too. sometimes i just do tend to take on more than i should(in WAY too many ways, lol). just wondering how things are going for you right now? did they at least try a stellate ganglion injection to see what may be a possible underlying problem yet? has anything actually gotten better for you or worse since i was last here? again, i really am sorry i have not gotten down here to continue our "conversation'. i do hope at least something has gotten better or you at least found out some things. please let me know when you can hon. Marcia

Old 06-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Feelbad Hi - no problem you pointed me off in a direction enough where I was able to research and learn lots! I stopped the PT and then things went worse, but not specifically in my thoracic. I PM'd you to give a small update. Urinary system is going haywire, bladder retention - pain, pressure, had an ultrasound and now seeing urologist this week. Also I think my bowel is getting some pressure and starting to act up too. I am ok to wait and not go to ER yet, they gave me some instructions for between now and my appointment. THey also found a lesion on one kidney going to pop over to urology board and talk to some folks there. Think next will be a CT. Maternal history of kidney cancer so it has to be all checked out regardless. Anyway I am ok and getting things going.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hey NP,how are things goin for you so far? did you find out anymore about the kidney lesion? sorry i have not gotten down here for awhile. i am also dealing with my PKD issues mostly with dilation of all my intrahepatic ducts and a hugely dilated common bile duct with no stones or masses seen upon my US. just insane really, all from a stupid kidney disease that is kind of attacking everything with cysts and fluid. it is also giving me what i am pretty certain now is pancreas pain. just don't know if its the huge cysts in the liver/kidneys or my freaking kidneys being like both well over three times their norm size and creating soo much freaking pressure and compression on like everything. gotta love the insanity of all of our crap huh?

how are the other issues goin, anything found out at all yet there? do you know whether or not your angioma has bled at all? any hemosiderin found anywhere there? the actual charachteristic hemosiderin staining that you would normally see when it involves the cord may not even be there where yours is located, but i am sure they would be able to actually tell if it did. or YOU may feel alot of different sensations or "perceptions' of things when or if it did. they are just really insane little buggers to be sure.

hope things are goin okay NP. give me an update when you can. take care, Marcia

Old 07-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Feelbad - wow, sorry about your problems cropping up. Take care of yourself! I am still in the test cycle. I had to wait on the blood work which they cleared my kidneys for the contrast CT and I get that this week, along with the cystoscopy (sp) and next week is all the 15 urodynamic tests. I guess I won't know anything until the end of the month. I talked to my neuro about that whole part of spine with hemangiomas and we agreed to check them out as soon as all the uro stuff gets done. He is researching a special colleague for me to have a consult. I am hoping that stupid kidney lesion is a non-worry found incidentally. Good news is I calmed down my thoracic from the PT flare. Hope you feel better soon!

Does the bladder EMG hurt? My arms and shoulder ones were horrible.

Last edited by PNo; 07-13-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:51 AM   #14
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

geez, i didn't know they even did bladder EMGs? where exactly do they even do that, right over the badder or thru the spinal nerves that innervate it? just knowing what the extremity type of EMG was like, well... hope it is not too overly bad for you, do they use any sedation with that? i would most definitly ask, lol. i think you are going to have a very busy month to say the least huh? i do hope things turn out to be nothing serious, like we both need more crap to deal with.

glad you were able to get SOMETHING to calm down far ya, thats always a plus. it really is great that you have a neuro who is willing to put aside an ego just to even ask or consult with someone who just knows about angiomas. the key with any specialist is how much true overall experience and knowledge(real knowledge) they have with whatever YOUR particular issue is. i found that out the hard way with my angioma. i just got told sooo freaking many different "stories/theories" about what these are and what it just ment for me. it took my third opinion up at the U of MN to really KNOW for certain just what i was actually dealing with. some NSs have no real clue about just what these can cause or depending upon location and just what it is affecting will determine symptoms and very very real pain and perceptions i always called 'painsations". it always was like someone was doing something to my body(perceptions of crap) along with an intensity of like pressure that was so bad it was 'akin" to a type of pain or noxious stimuli, ya know? hence, painsation. believe me NP,just about anything is entirely possible to "feel" when you have these suckers anywhere along the spine or in the cord areas.

well, thanks for the update hon. i really do hope the kidney thing is maybe just a tiny hemangioma or something similar(you can get them just about anywhere too). i think we both have been thru enough now, it can stop anytime,lol. hang in there and keep me posted NP, K? good luck with everything, marcia

Old 07-15-2009, 02:23 AM   #15
    Jema X
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jema X HB User

Hey NP,

I'm so sorry that you're going through all this. I know you said that your thoracic issues have calmed down but I just wanted to add (late - cause I only just saw this) that I no longer let any one do anything to my thoracic at all. Even gentle rubbing has repercusions - my neuro said that because that area is so tight, any movement is like a ripple in a pond. I sometimes have needles stuck in trigger points but again, no actual moving or massaging of my thoracic. I know our problems are a bit different but my surgeon believes that because my bulges are so close to the nerves and cords on the scans, when I do some movements or someone moves my thoracic it causes jamming etc. My thoracic spine has no mobility either - if you have a thoracic injury, that's pretty common, it's the bodies own way of protecting itself. My surgeon is against mobilising in anyway - it gets enough from my normal neck and lower back movements.

I hope all the kidney stuff is going ok, please take care.

Closed Thread