It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• List of potential complications from C5 C6 fusion with misplaced screws

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
    Editorstacy
    (female)

Editorstacy HB User
    List of potential complications from C5 C6 fusion with misplaced screws

Can anyone tell the the potential risks I could face because my screws are misplaced and go through my disk space. I just found out from another Dr. my surgery in 2001 was a mess.

I'm OK as of today but know I could encounter big trouble down the road.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
    Re: List of potential complications from C5 C6 fusion with misplaced screws

Are you fused?

Old 06-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
    Editorstacy
    (female)

Editorstacy HB User

Yes, I'm fused.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
    Editorstacy
    (female)

Editorstacy HB User

A little more info on this....in addition to my misplaced screws I recently learned of a woman who had the same surgery, a month before mine from the same Dr. Two years ago she started to experience severe pain and her new doc did a scan to check for problems. Her crooked/misplaced screw had come loose, perforated her throat and a huge abscess had formed. She was care-flighted to a leading neurosurgeon in MN for emergency surgery.

She is now on permanent disability. Scary!

My main interest revolves around the potential problems because the screw is in the disk space, not just crooked in the vertebrae.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

depending upon just exactly what was affected by the 'mess" and misplacement of the hardware in any way is really what would truely dictate what types of issues/problems could develop. i myself had one of the four screws that got placed by my NS actually somehow loop up the c 7 nerve root(within that vertebrae) and just pulled/impinged that little sucker. my MRI DID show actual c 7 root impingemnt, but we did not have a freaking clue just how insane this was til i had to have another surgery done on my spinal cord this time that forced the removal of the backs of the c 6 7 and t 1 vertebrae. that is when it was found. my NEW and wonderful NS who was doing that surgery actually just went in and "unlooped' that nerve himself. i am grateful for that and that i did not have to actually undergo yet another posterior approach type surgery again. that one just sucked for me and casued alot of continuing muscle problems and direct damage.

do you have the MRI that states the level of damage done? the fact that this NS actually placed the screws into the disc and NOT the actual vertebrae is just neglignece pure and simple. also obtaining at least a good CT would really help in truely defining at least where tht hardware is actually located. for some crazy reason, any real hardware just tends to blurr pretty badly upon MRI but looks amazingly detailed upon a CT and x ray.

if you could list the summary of that MRI that found all this here it would help just to see what possible areas are affected or could be somewhat compromised. just what did the new NS tell you about all this?placing a screw into the actual disc space and not the real vertebrae is just really crazy to say the least? you would think at the very least here that the NS would have felt, himself, that that particular screw just went in a little too easy? there would have been much more resistance when screwing that particular screw in(even if with a drill. not too sure if they do this part by hand or with a drill) if he was actually going into a solid piece of bone vs the more spongey make up of an actual disc, ya know what i mean? i think he probably knew even then possibly? he is and of course you too, are just dang lucky this did not go into your actual cord area when he placed it(the screw itself) since there really was nothing but the luck of the length of that screw to really prevent that at that particular area?

but like i mentioned above, knowing just exactly what showed up on that MRI report in the summary at least(word for word) would really dictate possibles here. so if you could just post that here it would help alot. sorry you are having to even deal with this mess. Marcia

Closed Thread