It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• straightening of the spine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
    swilliams1955
    (female)

swilliams1955 HB User
    straightening of the spine

My husband has had horrible lower back pain for over a year. He went to the doctors, the took x-rays and said he has straightening of the spine. They gave no pain medicine, or offered anything for releif. What can be done for this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: straightening of the spine

You post got moved down. Sorry no one responded . One cause of straightening is muscle spasm. It is very common for the lower back muscles (lumbar) to work to protect your spine and spasm and lock up. The first order of business is make sure he was thoroughly checked out. If he has not shooting, electrical type pain - it is probably good to start down a path of Heat, rest, ibuprofen, and a good muscle relaxer, which are the standard treatments. Didn't the doctor offer any treatment? There is a non narcotic medication called skelaxin that can provide relief of acute, painful muscle spasms . You might talk to the doctor if this might be a good thing to try right now. Simple massage and some light lumbar exercises from physical therapy might help.

If the doctor didn't offer any help for this chronic condition - then either go back and push for some help or get another doctor.

Last edited by PNo; 07-04-2009 at 11:51 PM.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: straightening of the spine

If it continues....see if you can get a consultation with an orthopedic spine surgeon. Keep in mind that doesn't mean that surgery will occur. The OSS I'm seeing now is working with me on other treatments such as physical therapy, massage, and some injections done by a pain doctor.

Closed Thread