It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MRI Spine Cervical - help with results please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
    speedygonzalez
    (female)

speedygonzalez HB User
    MRI Spine Cervical - help with results please

Hello
    Can someone explain my husbands MRI results to me please?
    Salittal T1, T2 and axial T2 block through the lower cervical spine

1. Degenerative changes seen at C5/6 and C6/7 level with disc dehydration.

2. At C5/6 level broad bases disc bulge noted with narrowing both exiting foramen. No significant spinal stenosis seen at this level.

3. At C6/7 level, left paracentral disc protrusion but no spinal canal stenosis. narrowing of left exiting foramen seen due to disc osteophyte complex and possibility of nerve root impingement. Right exiting foramen is normal.

4. Cervico-medullary jucntion is normal. No abnormal signal in the cord.

Conclusion: Left C6/7 level spina foraminal stenosis.

Addendum Start
    Conclusion: Left C5/6 formial stenosis.

He has been in severe pain for 6 weeks, with pain in his left arm, numbness, tingling, and spikes of extreme pain. If he sneezes, he almost passes out with the pain. He has been having physio, and did try a chyropractor, but that made it worse.

Our doctor is sending him on to a neurologist, but that will take a month or so, so any advice or explainations in the interim would be gratefully received.
    Thanking you in anticipation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: MRI Spine Cervical - help with results please

Hi - sorry about the problems. 1. Degenerative changes seen at C5/6 and C6/7 level with disc dehydration. Lots of people here have the same problems. Basically what your husband is feeling is verry common. Probably down the outside of his arm into his forearm or even wrist, depending on how bad the nerve is being irritated or pinched.

At C5/6 level broad bases disc bulge noted with narrowing both exiting foramen. No significant spinal stenosis seen at this level.

WE HAVE DISCS IN BETWEEN EACH OF OUR VERTEBRAE, THEY ARE MADE UP OF AN OUTER BAND AND AN INNER NUCLEUS THAT IS GEL LIKE. IN HIS CERVICAL SPINE AT THIS LEVEL THE DISC IS BULGING OUT AND PRESSING IRRITATING THE NERVES INSIDE THE FORAMEN. THE FORAMENS ARE THESE LITTLE CHANNELS THAT THE NERVES EXIT FROM THE SPINAL CORD AND GO ON TO OUR BODY PARTS. BELIEVE ME, THIS CAN BE VERY PAINFUL!!!!

3. At C6/7 level, left paracentral disc protrusion but no spinal canal stenosis. narrowing of left exiting foramen seen due to disc osteophyte complex and possibility of nerve root impingement. Right exiting foramen is normal.

AGAIN THE DISC IS PROTRUDING OUT AND IRRITATING NERVE. HERE IS OSTEOPHYTE COMPLEX (THIS IS BONE SPURS).

Mostly for cases like this where the nerve is being rubbed or pinched, chiro and PT make us worse. There is one more conservative thing to try that is transforaminal epidural injections. This is something you can talk to the neurologist about. Other than that - other than trying to live with it, (almost impossible), surgery is the other option. Sometimes there is minimally invasive surgery depending on your situation. Otherwise the usual standard surgery for this problem (without canal stenosis) is called ACDF (anterior cervical discectomy and fusion).

I have found that icing the nerve path in the arm works really well to help the pain while you wait. Watch how he guards and holds the arm, because you can even make it worse. I use pillows to support my arm, keep it off hard surfaces and take pressure off of inside my neck where it was pinching.

Good luck!

Old 07-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #3
    speedygonzalez
    (female)

speedygonzalez HB User
    Smile Re: MRI Spine Cervical - help with results please

Thank you so much for replying so promptly - it has really helped me to understand the problem. Will post again, when we know how it is going to be treated. I am assuming that surgery for this is the same in England?
    Once again, thank you.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: MRI Spine Cervical - help with results please

Yes the surgeries are very common in all the countries. Do come back and post the results fo your discussion with the surgeon! Good luck.

Closed Thread