It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cylindrical defect in cervical spine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
    tlanser
    (female)

tlanser HB User
    Cylindrical defect in cervical spine

Hello all. I was on here a few months ago looking for answers on my back pain and everyone was so helpful. I broke down and finally got an MRI. The results show protrusions of disc in the thoracic area, but not to be thought of clinical significance. In the cervical spine, the doctor notes "cylindrical defect which could be congenital or post-traumatic". I've searched the internet and can't find anything. Can anyone tell me what this "cylindrical defect" could be? I'm supposed to make an appointment with a neurosurgeon which is not making me feel too good about these results.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Cylindrical defect in cervical spine

Sounds like their talking about something protruding into the space where the cord is. It's not exactly cylindrical in the neck...actually it's oval...goes round in the thoracic. But if they see something possibly congenital(born with it) or post-traumatic(injury)then they must see something that should be there.

Don't get scared. If it's something that's causing problems and has to be removed, then you have lots of company here to hold your hand through it. See the neurosurgeon and then get back to us so we can help you through whatever and help you with resources.

gentle hugs and prayers..............Jenny

Old 07-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I know it is scary to think that you need to see a surgeon, but think of it this way: This may be an answer or one of the answers for your symptoms. Once you have a good idea of what is causing your symptoms, you can talk more definitively about what to do about it. I don't know what your symptoms are, but I'm sure they must be bothering you if you sought an MRI. Good luck!

Old 07-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
    tlanser
    (female)

tlanser HB User
    Cylindrical defect = spinal cord syrinx

I found out that the "cylindrical defect" is thought to be a syrinx. I saw the neurosurgeon yesterday and he wasn't very pleased with the films from the first MRI, so he's sending me for a second next week, with dye contrast. They're relatively certain that I have a syrinx, but need the contrast MRI to see it better. They are also looking for a spinal tumor which can cause a syrinx, but that can only be seen on a contrast MRI. The surgeon thinks that I was born with the syrinx and it has just grown over time and now causing my pain.

The pain that I've been experiencing starts just between my shoulder blades in my spinal area and then radiates down, below my shoulder blades and runs along the lines of my ribs until it gets to my sides. The longer I wait before taking something for pain, the less mobile I become.

I'm only 34 years old and don't want to live like this the rest of my life.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I am the same age as you. When I saw the surgeon before my most recent surgery, the PA asked me if I wanted to consider surgery. I told her that I was only 34, and the thought of living the rest of my life with no hope of relief was enough to make me want to have surgery, even considering all the risks. I don't have any children yet, but I knew that I definitely wouldn't if I was in so much pain every day of my life.

Now, what you have may require a more risky surgery that what I had, so make sure you choose your surgeon carefully (if you do need surgery). I wouldn't know much about a syrinx, but it sounds complicated. Make sure you look for someone you are TOTALLY comfortable with. Find a board-certified neurosurgeon with a lot of experience doing the kind of surgery you (may) need. Definitely ask them how many of this type of surgery he/she has done, and what, if any, complications he/she has encountered. Also make sure you ask what you could expect in the way of results. It sounds like one of the benefits of doing surgery for this condition is to stop the progression of symptoms. Considering you are so young, it is important to keep in mind what could happen if you do not do anything. This would be important to talk with the surgeon about.

I had a funny feeling about the first surgeon I had, and I came to regret allowing him to perform surgery on me in the worst way. I cried for 20 minutes after our first appointment because I was so frustrated with the way he treatment me, and I should have run and never gone back to him. Just recently I was referred to a new surgeon for a 2nd surgery and I interviewed him (I kind of grilled him) to make 100% sure I was comfortable with him.

Good luck to you. Hopefully someone else here will know more about your specific condition than I do.

Closed Thread