It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• cervical disc

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
    erfields81
    (female)

erfields81 HB User
    cervical disc

what is concentric disc bulge with right to left central annular fissure. Mild mass effect on the adjacent thecal sac.?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
    Stonepile
    Inactive
    (female)

Stonepile HB User
    Re: cervical disc

erfields81- A disc bulge is due to tears in the annulus allowing disc material to enlarge the disc in the form of a bulge; similar to the way an old tire might bulge out. The nucleus (jelly like middle) of the disc "squirts" through some of the torn annular fibers, but not through all the fibers. This bulge may press straight back or to either side, depending on location of the annular tears. A bulge may or may not cause symptoms. It looks like in your case the bulge is due to compression and it's like when you push straight down on the jelly donut and it bulges out but the jelly (or nucleus) doesn't squirt out. The bulge however seems to be putting some pressure on the thecal sac.

The thecal sac is a membrane that surrounds the spinal cord and circulates cerebral spinal fluid. Compression results in pain since this structure is highly innervated with pain receptors. With additional compression there is a possibility of paralysis.

Most of this information is not original with me. You can find it if you google each of those terms in your MRI. I'm not as experienced about all of this as many others on this board. I hope it does help you understand some of what the terms mean. Keep asking questions, others will show up and answer soon.

Stonepile

Closed Thread