It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ACDF c6/c7 8 weeks postop follow up

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
    mart1000637
    (male)

mart1000637 HB User
    ACDF c6/c7 8 weeks postop follow up

Hi there,
    things are going a little bit better, but not much. I am still naseaus in the morning and my upper arms on both sides feel a little numb. The fatique in combination with the strange feeling in my upper arms is a very bad combination. Sometimes I get depressed about the outcome of my surgery.
    But as I read that people in this kind of surgery varie in getting beter from 6 weeks to a year, I hope that nothing is impossible till so far.
    I think that my age (56) is a problem to recover sooner. Every morning I take a walk of 1 or 2 miles and that is a good way for training your neck muscles.
    I hope that people with about the same postop period will react and sent me there experiences with getting better and healthy again.
    It is so difficult to keep up the good spirit. I hope some of you will react.
    Greetings and hope for all of you neck sufferers.
    Mart

Last edited by mart1000637; 07-24-2009 at 01:20 AM. Reason: addition of text

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 03:29 AM   #2
    Messed up neck
    (male)

Messed up neck HB User
    Re: ACDF c6/c7 8 weeks postop follow up

I'd keep your spirits up as best you can. Until you can start PT and retraining your neck muscles, I'm sure the pain is still going to be strong. But I'd also talk to your doctor and let him or her know what's going on and your concerns about how the surgery went.

Herniations at C6-7 would radiate down into the arms, so I imagine there would be some strange feelings in your arms. I hope you get better soon and see some improvement considering you put yourself through surgery. I'm sure the pain was pretty bad before though and I'd try to stay as positive as possible in the coming months. But I certainly know the hell of neck pain for the past 4 years and I've lost everything in my life due to the pain... I will pray for your improvement over the coming weeks as you continue to rehabilitate.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

mart - I too felt awful 8 weeks post-op with my ACDF. I had been so hopeful for a better recovery and I cried many times throughout the day for several weeks. I had the same pre-op pain return (and some new shoulder and arm pain) and I was devastated that the surgery did not work. I did continue to do a little better for about a year, but I had to go on a pain management plan and have been taking pain meds since then. I did return to work at 9 weeks and while I still had so much pain, it was good to be working and doing something rather than focusing on how terrible I felt. I can definitely feel your pain.

I eventually got a new doctor and we discovered what the problem was and it has now been fixed and I am recovering from a second surgery, but I am recovering so much better this time! Almost no severe pain at all and I am only 2.5 weeks post-op from a posterior fusion. I had felt like I was living a nightmare, but now I am much more hopeful that I will be able to live a more normal life. It has taken me almost 2 years to get here, though.

Hang in there and keep trying to find what helps make you feel better. Don't be afraid seek more opinions if you feel like you can't get an answer for your pain. Obviously, you are going to have some pain at this point, but it shouldn't go on forever. If there is nothing to be done, please try to find a good pain management doctor who will help you live your life as normally as possible.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
    Nicole74
    (female)

Nicole74 HB UserNicole74 HB User

I hope you feel better soon! I'm almost 5 months post op and still in a lot of pain. I hope everything works out for you.

Closed Thread