It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• syringomyelia and head trauma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
    lydia72
    (female)

lydia72 HB User
    syringomyelia and head trauma

Hi to All and hope everyone is feeling pain free today.(bit long)

I haven't posted in a bit, but I do read the posts and reply individually as often as I can.

I was found to have a syrinx after a head trauma led to an MRI several months after the initial accident at work.

I am receiving a disibilaty pension as well as a workers insurance benefit. I'm Canadian and know that some things are different in the states. I have been off work for the last 2+years.

I just finished a 6 week pain clinic that i attended through workers insurance and its more of the same thing I already learned on my own, and no one truly understood what was wrong with me. At the end they still thought I was having headaches from a concussion.

Anyway, when I got back i got some of the reports from my GP and was upset to find out they are saying my syringomyelia is secondary to the accident. I'm ****** because my Nuero told me that no one can prove that the syrinx wasn't there before the accident, but they also can't prove it was there.

I don't want this to affect my benefits for workers insurance. In my heart I don't believe that it was there. I was healthy, active, had a lobourous job for 15 years and no problems.

I would like to hear from anyone else that has been diagnosed as having a syrinx and found it after a trauma. Any advise from anyone would be appreciated.

Lydia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: syringomyelia and head trauma

i only know a little about actual syrinx but needed to find out a couple things. exactly where is this located? while some can be created by spinal trauma or other more congenital brain issues, it would really depend alot upon just where this thing is located and how severe your head trauma was. what exactly occured that produced the head trauma and how severly was your brain impacted from it at the time? is there a particular reason that there was no actual scan done at he time of the accident?

if i were you i would simply do as much possible research on the syrinx as possible right now, just so YOU fully understand them and how they can form. i was always under the impression that any syrinx was always a congenital malformation present at birth. but from the bit i have read it sounds like these also can be created by very specific types of real trauma. all i saw when looking was from cord trauma and no head trauma when the syrinx is actually IN the cord and not the brain. the one good thing you have going on here is that you never have actually had any past documentation of this with any real brain or spinal scans done from what you have stated? but i would be doing that research just so you are fully prepared with all the right info if needed or questioned, ya know what i mean? i do hope things work out for you. Marcia

Old 08-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
    Remmers
    (male)

Remmers HB User
    Re: syringomyelia and head trauma

I went thru the same problem, they tried to say my syrnix was not caused by the fall that I had, I fell 17 feet. The thing you have to remember is that they dont always show up right away and the same with the symptoms.

I now have symptoms that would show from my syrnix but I just had more testing done and i also have nerves in the same area that have been detached from my spinal cord

So dont let them push you around, that is what they are trying to do

Good luck

Closed Thread