It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Chiropractors and Neck Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
    Exclamation Chiropractors and Neck Pain

If you suffer from chronic neck pain I strongly advice you NOT to go to chiropractors. When it comes to neck there is nothing they can do to "fix" it. If fact, they can cause further damaging to the neck.

Neck involves Muscles, Tendons, Ligaments, disks and NERVE INTERSECTION. You just don't want a chiropractor to do adjustments or manipulation to your neck, period. I've been through one couple of years ago and believe my neck got worst. I've read here in our board there is somebody who actually needed a surgery cause of a chiropractor she went to.

I know it's really frustrating cause there is NO way to fix the injured neck.

I've been told: "It will bother you most of your life", or "wish there was a way to turn back time!!" or "It won't be what it used to be, NO". It's cause doctors know they can't fix it.

So don't expect the chiropractors to know how to fix your neck, cause they can't and remember, they can cause further damaging.

Last edited by nochange; 08-04-2009 at 10:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Chiropractors and Neck Pain

just curious as to what the actual damage is caused by the chiro? have you actually obtained just more than one real opinion on whatever the damage is as far as it being fixed at all? i personally would NEVER ever allow any chiro to go near my c spine, just way too many possible problems can develop in that area. and if you do not actually have an MRI done BEFORE you see one, that CAN spell disaster for some particular spinal problems too. they can also cause vertebral artery dissection too just by those 'adjustments" gone wrong. while chiros do have their place with certain findings, most don't bother with getting an MRI or the patient getting that crucial MRI done before any adjusting goes on. its those more hidden types of problems that just will not actually show upon x ray that just is the main reason to at least find out whats going on first.

with what i personally had inside of my spinal cord, i was told by my neurosurgeon that if i 'had" gone the chiro route, this glob(vascular lesion i was born with just did not know it) would have or could have had a major bleed and completely closed off the rest of my cordspace and paralyzed me irreversably. thank god i did not actually go thru with that fleeting idea. until you actually KNOW what are the underlying issues with an actual MRI, i would never ever see a chiro. you just need an area cleared by at least a neurosurgeon before you actually 'do' anything with espescially that much more heavily innervated c spine. these are all just basically "blind" adjustments where they cannot actually 'see' what it is they are doing or affecting. sorry you had to find this out the hard way nochange, Marcia

Old 08-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
    nutti883
    (female)

nutti883 HB User
    Red face Re: Chiropractors and Neck Pain

I whole-heartedly agree that you should NEVER have the chiro adjust your cervical spine. I found this out from personal experience. I had been going to the chiro for many sessions with pretty good results on my lower back. I was on the maintenance program, but made an extra appointment with him because my neck hurt horribly. I could not stretch it or get it to losen up at all. I told him that I had numb places on my left arm and first two fingers. He had always had trouble correcting my neck in the past. I had had xrays in the very beginning of my treatment but none since. He did not take any xrays on this day. He proceded to try to correct my neck and had no problem this time. My neck popped and cracked a lot. Afterwards, I felt fine but my neck still hurt. I went home and went to sleep that evening. When I woke up in the morning, I felt like I was having a heart attack. My left arm was numb on the top inside portion. My pointer finger and middle finger were numb. My jaw hurt. It felt like someone was sticking a hot poker in the space next to my left shoulder blade. This pain was unbelievable. I went to the hospital er and they told my my heart was fine and they did not see anything on the xrays and to follow up with my GP. I saw numerous doctors and had many, many tests in the next 2 weeks. I was in such immense pain that I could not function. They tried every drug in the world to help ease my pain, but to no avail. Finally, an orthopedist was called in and MRI's and myleogram was performed. He said that C5-6 and C6-7 were ruptured and that C6-7 was the worst he had ever seen. I ended up having a fusion on them. Now, 5 1/2 years later, they are finally finding out that C6-7 is not fused and the hardware is broken. Now, I am facing the same thing all over again. I have been to so many doctors and pain centers in the past 5 years telling them that my neck STILL hurts and not one of them told me that I was not fused. How is that possible? I am not saying that my ruptures would not have happened later down the line, but if he had ordered an MRI, he wouldn't have touched my neck and sent me to a neurosurgeon. Anyway, sorry this is so long...but as you can see, I am very passionate about not having chiros touch me. Tami

Old 08-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
    trychocolate
    (female)

trychocolate HB User

That is a really bad experience, nutti, and sorry for all those who suffer so with neck problems. I hope that you get the help you need and difficult when things just go on and on and dr's not quick on the answers/help either.

I went to chiro's for at least 35 years (lifelong spine issues), and probably should have been trying something else the whole time. Adjustments never 'held' and I would be back 2 or 3 times a week sometimes. What I didn't know is that at the very least, the constant wrenching was setting off more out of control inflammation and pain than ever, which eventually destroys joints and cartiledge anyway. People with even mild arthritis or other abnormal spine issues should stay away from chiro. so as to avoid experiences like the ones posted here.

My last visit was about 6 years ago when I went to a sports chiro who had a very high regard for himself and his abilities with hockey players. I told him his adjustments felt almost exactly like the car accident I had previously with sharp pain radiating into skull/neck. He said that was fine and would eventually subside. I couldn't take any more than 3 of these sessions and subsequent MRI's showed advanced arthritis etc. in there with not much room in spinal canal for mistakes that could have led to paralysis a little sooner than I planned.

So after all those years of loyal chiropractic visits, I can now state from experience that there are so many other types of clinical therapies out there that can be researched that are by far, more worthwhile to try than cracking and snapping damaged areas. Osteophytes snapping against each other and on or close to vital nerves doesn't make sense to me and it shouldn't to them either.

hey, your welcome for my 2 cents,
    choc

Last edited by Administrator; 12-09-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

one REALLY great and pretty cheap way,compared to other types of actual 'scans" that get done on people pretty routinely just to see if fusion has taken place is just a plain old flexion and extension type of x ray being done. they can tell just by the way the boney prominences at the very back would fan out as to whether or not fusion has taken place(plus a "gapping at the disc area endplates that does show even with hardware present). i went thru this crap post op after my fusion too. an MRI was inconclusive and recommended a CT which stated without a doubt i was actually fused. this was despite me feeling intermittant numbness and tingling and radiclopathic pain as well. but most of all it was this horrid crunching and grinding that you could actually hear from coming from my neck that really made my primary push my NS into just obtainig that very simple and cheap x ray that truely showed by the fanning alone that i simply never actually fused. it took me a total of nine long months to just convinvce my NS's actual nurse/gatekeeper from he** that i REALLY felt i never fused as well. it was a nightmare, trust me. but obtaining that one type of x ray can just show sooo easily, quickly and much better than any other type of test. espescially that c spine since those boney prominences are just much longer up there. Marcia

Closed Thread