It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Pain in Neck then full right side numbness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
    mim
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User
    Pain in Neck then full right side numbness

Hi all, I had an L4-5 laminectomy in '01 and a C5-6 fusion in '07. I have full body arthritis, ddd in all areas of spine, fibromyalgia and all the junk that seems to go with this. I have finally been feeling relatively well enough this past month to work in my yard for the first time in 4 years. I thought that this past Saturday I may have over done it a bit as I was sore wherever there was a place to be sore. Monday I realized I felt cruddy all over still, Tuesday I powered through the day but did little physically, same with Wednesday. By Wednesday evening, I was in the bed and in terrible neck and shoulder pain and had to take oxycodone and xaniflex in order to lie down and basically writhe for hours til I finally was able to drop off. I woke up this morning (Thursday) to full right sided numbness and weakness with pain if I try to massage my neck or muscles in my shoulder and arm. I have a disc issue at C6-7 that my neurosurgeon told me in '08 would eventually need to be fused also along with stenosis. Is it possible that the disc has blown out at C6-7 or my hardware has failed at C5-6 and this has caused this sudden weakness and numbness from my neck to my foot? I am trying to give it today and maybe tomorrow to ease, but I probably need to call my neurologist by Monday if not better. Hoping someone here has some insight to share! Thanks!
    Mim Gregg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Pain in Neck then full right side numbness

Numbness and weakness is a sign of spinal cord compression and you need to call your neurologist ASAP. Yes, you could have blown another disk and it may be pressing on the cord and that is why you don't have pain radiating but are tender to the touch, have right sided numbness and weakness. This is serious! If you have damaged the cord, you have just so much time to get it fixed and if the blood flow has been compromised at all, you could end up with paralysis.

Please get help ASAP even if it means going to the ER. Numbness is worse than pain when it comes to nerves or the spinal cord. It is a nerve that is dying. If you want the feeling back and function restored, you need to find out what is wrong NOW.

Don't mean to be alarmist but I've been where you are when I broke 3 bone grafts in my neck following surgery.

Let me know how you are.................Jenny

Old 08-14-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
    mim
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User
    Re: Pain in Neck then full right side numbness

Hey Jennybyc, thanks for the response and empathy! My neuro claims to be slam full til the 27th of this month, when he will check me over and decide what to do. His office nurse did say to basically recline or lie down mostly and not do anything strenuous. Also, she said if I got worse to go to the emergency room. Tons of help there! I will keep posting as I know something. Thanks!
    Mim Gregg

Closed Thread