It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 1 yr post ACDF question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
    sandy220
    (female)

sandy220 HB User
    Question 1 yr post ACDF question

HI everyone,
    This is my first time posting on here. I had a cervical fusion C5-C6 on Feb 25, 2008, I had a slow recovery due to frozen shoulders, then found out I had a rotator cuff tear , which was repaired on Oct 15, 2008, I am currently still out on disability as I have not regained good use of my arm yet. I still have neck pain even after the fusion and severe headache for which I have to lay with a heating pad wrapped around my head. I am now starting to experience pain in my lower back (thought it was because I was over compensating for the neck and arm) but the pain is now going down my legs. My question is has anyone had this after cervical fusion and could this pain be coming from compression in my neck again - there was another area that was slightly compressing the spinal cord when the surgeon decided to do C5-C6. I am 48 and this is rediculous as I can not even load my dishwasher without my back hurting so bad that I have to go lay down sometime using heat and my tens unit. Also can not sit at my computer more then 5-10 minutes without my back or the headache starting This was all due to a car accident on Sept 3 07. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: 1 yr post ACDF question

alot of what is even possible to actually feel in the legs ONLY due to real true cord compression depends ALOT on how just how much actual compression was going on pre op(and possible damage during the surgery,or just from the actual compression itself). can you type out your pre op MRI summary here? doing this word for word is best since how any rad reads things and describes them can be at times as important as the finding itself. how impacted is that other area where you stated you also have compression at? were the words myelopathy or myelomalacia seen anywhere in that report in referrence to the compressed areas?

just what are your symptoms now vs pre op? marcia

Old 08-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
    sandy220
    (female)

sandy220 HB User
    Re: 1 yr post ACDF question

"HPI - The patient brings her cervical MRI for review. The MRI was abnormal with degenerative disc disease and small disc herniation from C3-7 and significant stenosis and cord compression without spinal edema. The degeneration and stenosis was maximal at C3-4 and C6-7. With cervical spine flexion, the degree of spinal cord compression was increased, maximal at C6-7. The degree of cervical degeneration is significantaly greater than her prior report of 2005.
    On VAS; cervical paion is 5/10 the increases with right lateral and flexion-extension. There remains no LUE radicular pain.

P/E - There was no significant change in her neurological exam and no new focal findings.

IMPRESSION:
    1. Traumatic cervical pain with decreased ROM.
    2. Facial, bilateral arm and leg, and anterior body paresthesias. The cervical MRI reveals significant degeneration and stenosis at C3-4 and C6-7 with mild cord compression.
    3. Increased parethesias with cervical extension: myelopathy was increased with cervical spine flexion."

This is from the neurologist, not the radiologist on 11/1/07

the symptoms now post op from pre op are: still neck pain and stiffness, still feel the parethesias though not nearly as much as pre op, now the lower back pain and pain starting to go down legs , both go down to the knees but the right is going down the front of the right leg occasionally now. I still have the excruiating headaches, and I believe them to be worse then before the surgery

Sandy

Last edited by sandy220; 08-08-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: add additional info

Closed Thread