It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• my GP says the T Spine [can't] cause arm weakness n pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
    cindybells
    (female)

cindybells HB User
    my GP says the T Spine [can't] cause arm weakness n pain?

had a new C spine MRI done n GP says everythings ok , so I asked coulnt the pain n weekness in my arms down to hands be coming from the T spine at all ,He said absolutly not that the T spine does not affect the arms at all?Im so confused I dont know what to beleive or think any more [ had acdf with harware 1 yr ago on c5-6]. My GP is now checking me for fibromyalgia and muscle enzyme imbalance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: my GP says the T Spine [cant] cause arm weekness n pain?

Cindybells...I just left you a long post on your other thread as I went back and re-read it to get the full picture. I left some suggestions there as to what might be the problem. I, for one, am glad it's not your neck or thoracic spine.

gentle hugs.............Jenny

Old 08-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

honestly cindy, most GPs just do NOT truely understand or could possibly even know just how all the nerves actually run thru any given area of the actual spinal cord and column. its just wayy over their heads in most cases. simply TELL the man to look up all info he can find on what is termed the "brachial plexus"? this WILL tell him just how that T 1 nerve can play a big part in innervation of that arm/hand/fingers areas(some people can actually have their own brachial run down as far as T 2. rarer but anatomy can be like this too). that brachial plexus is kind of the 'unit' of structures including all nerves that kind of innervate that entire arm down to finger area. this IS TRUE cindy. i would look this area up yourself just so YOU know about this. like i mentioned already, primary docs(my primary is really a great knowledgable guy but did not get my crap either. only my NSs did) just do NOT truely understand just how much real true crossover/or 'play" there can be in any given spinal column or that the T 1 IS a part of that brachial either. it just IS, trust me.

just do a bit of your OWN research on this so you can show him when you print it off for him. diid you actually obtain your very own copy of that MRI too? if not, get one and if you could, just type out that summary here again like before? but DO research the peripheral nervous system AND that brachial plexus. trust me here, your GP is very wrong in saying "absolutley not" with ANYTHING when it comes to the human body and the anomalies that can also be there within our own anatomy too. its a pretty bold statement when made by a basic type of doc who does not even seem to fully understand spinal anatomy to the degree needed to even MAKE a statement like that one, obviously. hang in there hon, we will figure this out. getting that MRI right now would seriously help here. marcia

Old 08-15-2009, 05:25 AM   #4
    cindybells
    (female)

cindybells HB User

A copy of my MRI report being sent to me [hopfuly it comes today] . something my GP said when i went in for MRI results was that I should only be feeling pain and weekness on my [right side] at my c5-6 surgery site only , I said how or why could that be because the surgon said he took out all the disc and cut out the section of spine that had the osteophite and put in a cadaber bone, I didnt understand his reply but he ask me AGAIN WHO WAS THE SURGON THAT DID MY SURGERY [ I JUST THOUGHT THAT IT WAS ODD WHY DID HE KEEP ASKING ] [sorry kinda thinkn out loud here] ... Anyway I have an appt next fridayday for a EMG TEST . I will post MRI results as soon as i get them .And i am going to print out one of those pictures of the anatomy that show which spinal section and nerves affects whatever to take and show my GP [ hope it doesnt make him made ] THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS EVERYONE

Old 08-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

if you can look up the brachial plexus "images" you may be able to find an actual diagram of that brachial that does show that t 1 involvement(it is the very LAST nerve that makes up that brachial plexus). but you would probably do better just printing off all info on what i explained above with the peripheral and that brachial in words for him so he can actually read the run down of how this all works kind of thing? one other thing here is the basic "dermatomes' these are areas of skin surface that any given nerve within the spinal actually innervates. if you look this up, all you ahve to do is simply LOOK at what innervates a strip that runs on the inner side of the upper arm and down kind of that middle arm area thru that crease at the elbow and down a few more inches. THAT IS the area that the T 1 nerve actually innervates with its sensory componnent, this nerve ALSO innervates motor or fine motor function within the hand and fingers too so that would not actually show up on any derm chart. but it IS right there right in the mid inner arm area. all he has to do is look at the derm chart to see this.

my own wonderful primary kept telling me over and over very early on with my spinal crap that anything that i was actually feeling at the base of my skull and up the back of my head could no possibly be stemming from my c spine either(i was and still am having pain on the R base of skull with intermittant numbness and tingling up the back of my head from this). well just take a good look at that derm chart and it shows the exact areas of back of my head involvement i just have from a really bad right side of my c 2-3 there. it DOES actually innervate that back of the head and the base of kull area. once i just brought in a basic dermatome chart and showed him that, he was really suprised and honestly just 'assumed' the nothing could possibly ever go 'up' from the c spine area, only down. so that was HIS assumption too. he just did not fully understand even basic neuroanatomy down to basic derm coverage at all. just like your primary is saying to you cindy. there is just sooo many different ways to show him just how really truely involved that T1 actually is that any one of the things i mentioned to you would make him HAVE to see it, ya know? just look this stuff up for YOU, so YOU really understand just how that all works there hon. it will help YOU in the longer run, and of course show your primary the areas where that T 1 actually ARE going down the arm too.

the bigger thing here is whether or not YOUR particular T 1 is actually playing any part in the situation is important, but what really would be more important for your primary and most importantly, ANY of his future patients who actually just do have some heavy T 1 damage going on and he would still believe that it could not possibly be related? how do you think THOSE particular patients of his would be treated with the limited knowledge he currently has, ya know what i am trying to say here? the more true experience, knowledge and very basic info that any primary can get along the way, just makes THEM a better more well informed doc for all his patients. he really just does NEED to understand this right now. he just was very wrong to even make that statement when he obvioulsy does not actually even KNOW about the brachial plexus(what it actually consists of), peripheral nervous systems or even a very very basic dermatome chart either.

i really am wanting to see just what sowed up on that MRI at all too. with what you described in what you were going to lok up on the anatomy and show to your doc actually does appear to sound like what i mentioned with that dermatome chart? this one thing would show him alot. that T 1 ALSO innervates a strip of skin kind of right across more to the mid to top of the shoulder blades on the back too. most derm charts show both the back and the front areas of innervation too.

let me know what you find out and just what your doc has to say after you show him just how that T 1 actually just 'is'. believe me, before i presented with all my spinal crap and the cord stuff too, my primary really did not have a clue as to how alot of this neuroanatomy crap actually was and just "is'. he as learned alot just from my case alone. it takes patients who any particular doc has the care of and the more strange and insane things that any 'body' can actually have wrong or created by something that really IS the bigger part of their overall knowledge of anything. its just having that experience at all that really does educate them. YOU will be a part of HIS NEW education on the c spine and how the T 1 fits into the picture and brachial too. good luck cindy, marcia

Old 08-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
    cindybells
    (female)

cindybells HB User
    Re: my GP says the T Spine [can't] cause arm weakness n pain?

OK I just got my MRI results and everything is negative EXCEPT for where I had surgery at c5-6, It says im post anterior fusion and this results in scanning artifact, There is no canal comprimise. [[[ There appears to be some right foraminal encroachment related to uncovertabral hypertrophy ]]]

Last edited by cindybells; 08-15-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: detail

Old 08-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

did the radiologist actually not go thru every level of your c spine and detail ANY other actual findings? they will usually hit all levels not just state everything else is negative, you know what i mean? do you have your own copy of that report? what does it state in that summary at the very end? i just personally find it kind of hard to believe that given the overall symptoms you are having that there was absolutley nothing found at all beyond the c 5-6 area? something is just not right there. i saw your other post about the findings where you mentioned THERE that pre op you also had actual cord compression going on at that surgical level too? is that right or was it just worded that way so i took it to mean that? Marcia

Old 08-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
    cindybells
    (female)

cindybells HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
    did the radiologist actually not go thru every level of your c spine and detail any other actual findings? They will usually hit all levels not just state everything else is negative, you know what i mean? Do you have your own copy of that report? What does it state in that summary at the very end? I just personally find it kind of hard to believe that given the overall symptoms you are having that there was absolutley nothing found at all beyond the c 5-6 area? Something is just not right there. I saw your other post about the findings where you mentioned there that pre op you also had actual cord compression going on at that surgical level too? Is that right or was it just worded that way so i took it to mean that? Marcia
    hi marcia . Yes i [did] and i believe i still do have spinal cord and nerve root compression my previous mri and dr said i did ,and now with new current mri and still having the same problems as before surgery [pain, burning, weakness]... [[[mri impression report states ...status post anterior fusion of c5 and c6. There is mild right foraminal encroachment. No other pathology is evident. ]]]thats it... And it spacificly states at top of page at c5-6 that there is no canal comprimise... Im having a big problem understanding . Im beginning to think maybe i have cancer or a tumer or something because none of this makes any sence

Old 08-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Cindy...did you see my post on your old thread? I went back and re-read all the other posts to get a good sense of what was going on and suggested some other possibilities. Your MRI certainly seems to say you have no other problems in the area with the exception of some more encroachment at C6 but you could still have other problems or the pain from the neck was masking other damage.

Please check out my post. It's under your post on Radiculopathy...the older post, way down the page.

gentle hugs..............Jenny

Last edited by jennybyc; 08-18-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: adding info

Closed Thread