It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Shoulder and Upper Back

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-15-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
    destratos
    (male)

destratos HB User
    Unhappy Shoulder and Upper Back

I have been having constant upper back and shoulder pain for the last year to year and a half. I have been carrying a really heavy back pack on one shoulder for a while because when I put it on both shoulders + back it really hurts. In the middle of May, I stopped wearing it and the pain stayed and it still hurts.

I don't understand how it would be completely be the backpack because it was only on my right shoulder. My entire upper back and both shoulders constantly crackle and ache.

I always feel the need to stretch out my back and rotate my shoulders but it only relieves the pain temporarily.

I'm 15, height 5'9, weight 140 lbs, and flexible/fine in every other part of my body besides my upper back shoulders.

I also sit and play video games a lot and do a lot of work on the computer for constant hours. I can't afford going to the doctor for a check up because of the lack of insurance and money.

I did some research on shoulder pain and noticed something called frozen shoulder but it usually happens for people older than 40.

I've tried a lot of stretches, exercises, and constant rest. I haven't worn a heavy backpack in 3.5 months.

This has been bothering me for a while and it's really annoying on a painful level everyday. I try ignoring it but it doesn't always work. What could be the problem and the solution?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
    Katielyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Katielyn HB User
    Re: Shoulder and Upper Back

you could have messed up a nerve. I know that I have carried backpacks and heavy purses and I have damaged one shoulder. One Dr even thought that I had torn my rotator cuff with my limited motion but now that I have stopped carrying that heavy stuff, my shoulder has gotten better. Now, I still have the pain in my upper back, neck and shoulder but I feel it's getting better, it just takes time apparently.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
    p313rk
    (female)

p313rk HB User

I'm no expert, but some of your symptoms sound like what I had experienced. Tightness in my left shoulder, neck and upper back. It turns out I have a herniated disc that may or may not be responsible for this pain. I'm seeking treatment options myself and haven't found the answer yet.

Since this has bothered you for a long time, is there anyway you can see a doctor to give preliminary exam? You do sound really young to have a disc problem, but stranger things have happened.

It's concerning that it's gone on so long. Is the pain constant or intermittent? Does it occur more in the later parts of the day? Have you tried heat compress or a heating pad with a massage unit? I find this offers some temporary relief.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Being 15, you probably don't have a major injury. But you said something interesting...that you stretch your back and roll your shoulders and that gives you some brief relief. That might indicate shoulder muscles in spasm. It can take a long time for spasms to go away and you actually need to move them to get them working right again. It's NOT moving a bad shoulder that causes frozen shoulder(and it is frozen...you wouldn't be able to roll them). Also, there is a huge bursa(a fluid filled sac that lubricates the muscles) right on top of the shoulder and that can cause mega pain.

Try ice to reduce swelling when it hurts, then later heat to get the blood flow going. Try doing some exercises for those upper back muscles..example: do a rowing motion with your arms held up to your chest then pull backwards and feel your shoulder blades come together in your back. Another...keep your arms straight down and then pull them back straight back. And..another is to put your fists together at your chest and them open them out like opening a book. All 3 of these help to move and strengthen the muscles of the upper back. To relax them and stretch them, try standing in front of a wall about 18" away, put your arms up on the wall over your head and then lean in. You'll feel those muscles stretch.

Even if it is your neck, these are the exercises they give you for the neck muscle pain that follows surgery. I've had 2 major neck surgeries and do these exercises and stretches everyday. They can't hurt and may just help to stop the spasms that may be affecting you. Try and see. If it helps, you'll have some answers. For most of us, muscle pain is the worst and the most obvious. And lay off the heavy backpack. Made my son hurt too...he switched to a messenger bag.

good luck and come back with questions if you have any......Jenny

Closed Thread