It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• [Did surgeon mess up]? foraminal encroachment related to uncovertabral hypertrophy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
    cindybells
    (female)

cindybells HB User
    [Did surgeon mess up]? foraminal encroachment related to uncovertabral hypertrophy

right foraminal encroachment related to uncovertabral hypertrophy at c5-6. Ok i had herniated disc and a right sided osteophite at c5-6 with spinal cord and nerve root compression before surgery and surgery made know differance [ still have pain ,weakness, burning in both arms,hands . Now i just had a new mri and it says i have right foraminal encroachment related to uncovertabral hypertrophy , does this mean the surgeon left something behind or didnt complete the surgery , my surgon said he took our the disk and a piece of spine where osteophite was then put a cadaber bone in with a plate n screws to hold it all together? ?I have searched internet tryn to understand but i just cant figure out if this new diagnosis was there all along or did surgeon just simply leave something behind? Any idea,s for an explanation .Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: [Did surgeon mess up]? foraminal encroachment related to uncovertabral hypertroph

No. "Uncovertebral" is a reference to the joints in the vertebra..the uncovertebral joints. "Hypertrophy" is an overgrowth of bone due to arthritis. So despite your surgery, the arthritis in your spine is causing bone overgrowth in the right uncovertebral joint and it's starting to fill in the area where the nerve exits the vertebra on the right side(encroachment).

Usually the surgeon will grind down the area where there is an osteophyte and that helps but it can also result in more rapid bone rebuilding. You just don't know. Or it just may be that your arthritis is getting worse.

Either way, the surgeon didn't do anything wrong. You had surgery for a symptom of spinal arthritis and you still have spinal arthritis. Only if he used a bone graft that had been treated with bone morphogenic protein did he "kind of", "perhaps" make a tiny error. It is now suspected that use of BMP can cause overgrowth of the bone piece treated. But this sounds like it's the joint, not the bone piece he put in to stabilize the fusion. And this is still under study. It greatly helps the fusion heal faster but it now seems to cause overgrowth...a trade off of kinds.

Sorry but your doc seems to have done okay.

gentle hugs.............Jenny

Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: [Did surgeon mess up]? foraminal encroachment related to uncovertabral hypertroph

I'm not sure what type of surgery you had but I agree with what Jenny has said - these type of findings are not unusual after surgery (I had something similar after my C5-C7 ACDF which later led to a posterior foraminotomy and spur removal.)

Closed Thread