It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• BMP in cervical fusion.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
    rehmlh
    (male)

rehmlh HB User
    BMP in cervical fusion.

I had fusion surgery in March 2009 using a cadaver bone. After recovery, I felt pretty good until the middle of June. At that time, my old symptoms started returning. At my check-up in early July, you could see that about 50% of the cadaver bone was gone and the space was narrowing. At yesterdays check-up it is more like 70% gone. The doctor says we need to re-do the surgery soon and he wants to use BMP inside a spacer instead of another bone. Has anyone had this procedure in the neck? I have read good things about the procedure in the back but I see a lot of warnings about this in the neck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
    Re: BMP in cervical fusion.

Your situation sounds similar to mine. I had a failed fusion after an ACDF. However, rather than "re-do" the original surgery, my new surgeon went in through the back of the neck and wired the bones together and used BMP in the back. He said that by stabilizing the bones from this additional point, the bodies of the vertebrae usually end up fusing on their own in time. I did not have BMP in the original surgery. Can you try to get a bone growth stimulator?

Old 08-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
    rehmlh
    (male)

rehmlh HB User

There is so little of the cadaver bone left, I am not sure a stimulator would help. The bones are fusing but the cadaver bone is shrinking. My doctor would prefer to go in from the front if possible. He discussed a plastic spacer with a sponge in the center. The sponge would hav the BMP on it so the bone would grow through the sponge and the spacer would stay as additional support while the bone grows.

If only my insurance would have paid for an artificial disc, I would not be having this problem.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
    Bobbyboo
    (female)

Bobbyboo HB User

Hi

I had the plastic cage with BMP last February (for broad C6/7 bulge with marked cord compression and nerve impingement - symptoms 2 years+ but was in appalling agony before last Christmas). I did not wear a collar. At 4 months the Consultant was delighted with my progress and said I had fused as well as some patients he had seen after a year. I am still doing well at the 6 month mark but only time will really tell how successful the surgery has been.

I took calcium supplements but am not sure if this made any difference.

I am sorry to hear you are not fusing as well as expected - I am sure you are feeling low at the moment at the thought of going through all this again but fingers crossed that this time you will get sorted out properly and permanently.

Bobbyboo x

Old 08-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

rehmlh - I was meaning that you should try to get a bone growth stimulator after this next surgery. I just had another surgery to fix a non-union, and I am doing so much better now than I had been after the original surgery. It is no fun to have a failed fusion, so if you can fix this now, I would go for it. It's not living your life with the pain caused by the lack of fusion. In my case, the donor bone had completely dissolved, too. There was just a space left and no indication that there had been any graft there at all, but the bones on either side did show some growth, just not enough to span the gap left by the graft. Good luck!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
    rehmlh
    (male)

rehmlh HB User

I will ask the my md about a stimulator. How long do you have to wear it? Is it on 24-7 or is it something you use a few times a day?
    Rob

Old 08-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I have to wear mine 4 hours a day, which isn't bad. The doctor has me on it for 6 weeks, then a new CT to see if it is working. I have heard that some people wear it for as much as 9 months, but I think it will only be about 12 weeks for me if everything goes as planned. I think having a history of a failed fusion might put us at higher risk for it again, and I know I don't want to chance it with having to have ANOTHER surgery at this level again. Good luck. I'm glad they caught this for you pretty early.

Closed Thread