It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Neck pain radiating to my throat?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2009, 02:43 AM   #1
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
    Neck pain radiating to my throat?

Hello dear people. I have a new problem. As you know, I, unfortunatelly, suffer from Chronic Neck pain for already 4 years. (I say unfortunatelly cause I really WISHED I've never had that problem). It's getting worst and worst. Recently, in the last couple of months, I've noticed the neck pain is RADIATING to my throat. Any idea what's going on here???.

MRI has been done like a year ago showed 2 bulging disks in my neck, nothing serious, I was told, you are not for surgery. all right, but now the pain is radiating to my THROAT. It's taking control of my whole life now.

Any idea?, anybody has that? Where I'm heading to with this horrible chronic neck pain.

Last edited by nochange; 08-23-2009 at 02:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Re: Neck pain radiating to my throat?

Sorry to hear that, I have the throat pain on & off since my fusion & its strange. I have C5-6 fused & some problems with 4 &7.
    Really I dont trust MRIs so much, I feel doctors rely on MRIs in some cases more then they should.
    Do you see a pain management doctor? They may be able to do further testing to see whats going on in there. You could have changes since your last MRI & probably do. Trust your instincts & listen to what your body is telling you. What discs where the problems found in? You could start by letting your doctor know this pain is progressing & you really feel somethings not right. Let them know exactly what you said here, its taking over your life. That should be enough for any good doctor to investigate. Sometimes your have to put a little pressure on to get doctors to listen.
    Good luck, Sammy

Old 08-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Hello Sammy, thanks for your reply. MRI last year showed minor bulging disks at c4-5 and c6-7 with no involvement with spinal cord.

What changes do you have think I have in my neck since last year?. Why should be more changes?. I have not been in another accident/whiplash since this happened.

It's not "really" working between me and my PM doc. I've tried two already. I'm taking now percocet 2-3 a day for pain. 5/325 but I'm really scared, cause it's starting losing its strengh(percocet is narcotic).

Sammy, what meds do you take for the neck pain?. Hope to hear from you.

P.S I'm also taking vitamin B1 for the neck pain. It helps a bit.

Last edited by nochange; 08-25-2009 at 09:46 AM.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I cant say for sure what changes could be taking place but you know you already have the herniations & if you have any new symptoms &/or your pain is progressing its worth investigating further. In one year things can change you know. Can you give a description of the pain your having in your throat?

Perhaps keeping a pain journal or diary & logging any changes & your pain levels & sharing that with your PM, also logging anything that increases or relieves your pain daily.
    Thats a shame you would think a good PM would listen. Any changes should be discussed with your PM & he should be addressing your concerns. I live in pain daily & it does get to you, it should not run or ruin your life.

I take much the same as you along with a muscle relaxer & an
    anti inflammatory. I know this is not a cure & just a bandaide & taking meds bother me as much as knowing this pain is here to stay, sometimes more. My PM told my husband & I last month this more then likely will be for the rest of my life. I have 2 herniations found in the lumbar & my facet joint is a mess. Im grateful for good days & just today came across a women younger then I with 2 young children at the store. She was really struggling to walk with a cane & in a cervical collar, She was having a hard time just trying to get to her car. My friend & I helped her load her car & I thought how much worse it could be. She said her surgeon said he needs another surgery & she's scared, as she has had 4 already. I try to count my blessings.

I also take calcium faithfully & flax & fish oils hoping it will help somewhere along the line. I also use natural essential oils to help relax & soothe. I try everything I can to avoid increase of my meds. I did take more before my fusion so I guess thats something. Mornings are the worst for me.

I hope you can get your doctors attention. Its miserable when noone hears what your saying. I would not ignore any new symptoms or increase in pain. I wish you the best of luck & will keep you in my prayers. Sammy

Old 08-31-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
    Stonepile
    Inactive
    (female)

Stonepile HB User

Hi Nochange and Sammy01,
    I apologize for barging in here, but wondered if you two could describe the type of throat pain to which you are referring. I had ACDF about five months ago and on two occasions had throat pain that nearly made me go to the ER. I've not read alot of posts on this issue and wonder if you would mind expanding your descriptions of the pain. If that's too personal then I understand.

Thanks,
    Stonepile

Old 09-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Stone, you know its hard to describe, it feels like something is stuck in there at times & really can feel it when you swallow. It feels like there's alot of pressure in there, hard to explain. Its deep inside the center of the throat & can be aggravating. I can never pinpoint what causes it to flare up at times. I know its linked to the cervical & perhaps the fusion. I had some problems preop but not exactly the same but close so who knows. I'm assuming as with any surgery it can take along time to heal & perhaps this will get better. Its always a wait & see situation. Not sure if this sounds anything like your experiancing, wish I could give you a better description. Good luck, Sammy

Old 09-03-2009, 01:58 AM   #7
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I feel like there is a pressure over there in my throat. It starts underneath my ear, there is a pressure there, underneath my ear(was told it's a muscle strain?)and sometimes it radiates to the left side of my throat. So the throat pain is pressure/not comfortable pain.

I also have severe pressure with severe pain underneath my ear and chin. If there anybody here who knows what it's that pressure(like something stuck there and press and press). That's my localized neck pain. perhaps someone here knows what causes that?. doctors tell me it's from muscles, but I don't know what to think anymore. Howcome it never goes away? not even for a single moment. Percocet gives a little relief for that pressure. But howcome it's like that for 4 years.

Please people, let me know what you think? Thanks in advance for your time. appreciate.

Last edited by nochange; 09-03-2009 at 02:04 AM.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
    Stonepile
    Inactive
    (female)

Stonepile HB User

Sammy01 and Nochange - Thanks for your replies. Sorry Nochange, but what I experience on a regular basis sounds a lot like Sammy01's description. Although, the level of pain I have had on two occasions sounds close to yours. It was excruciating and the last time it happened (about 3 weeks ago) it did go from my neck up the side of my face in front of my ear and it felt like it extended all the way to the top of my head. I was really scared. However, like I say, it's only happened twice.

The swollen pressure-like feeling that Sammy describes I have on a regular basis. It's not every day now like it used to be, but comes and goes and I don't know what causes it either, Sammy. I did ask my NS about it and he said that he's had patients describe the feeling like they have a hairball in their throat. I'd have to concur with that description. It just feels like there is this big lump in the middle of my throat and that I have to swallow past it. Sometimes it feels like something gets caught on the plate, at least that's what I imagine it would feel like if that is what would happen. My NS said that it could be adhesions that have formed in there.

Someone told me that there is a nerve bundle somewhere around the lower ear and maybe that is what is causing the pain. I haven't researched that yet.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. I'll let you know if I find out or hear anything else that might help us out!

X
    Stonepile

Old 09-06-2009, 04:27 AM   #9
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nochange, I feel bad for you that sounds like it would be really uncomfortable to live with daily. I am curious if you clench or grind your teeth? That sounds like an area that can be triggered by TMJ. I dont blame you for wanting to know whats causing that. I wonder if you should consult (if you have not already) with an ear nose & throat to get an opinion. I do get pain there but am almost positive its from my TMJ. if the doctors think its the muscles have they tried you on a mucsle relaxer?
    good luck & hang in there, Sammy

Old 09-06-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hello Sammy. My doctor gave me baclofen but it didn't help me at all. Perhaps it's not a good muscle relaxant? I'm not sure. So I stopped using it. It's only percocet for now.

I also have a swollen pressure just like stonpile described? and left ear pain plus recently left chin pain(it feels like it's burning) and back head pain(but that's been there before). what's going on with me?. and it's progressing. I don't even know if I clench my teeth.

Is it TMJ?. none of the doctor ever refered me to an ear nose and throat for a check up. Should I ask them to send me to one?. how can they diagnose me with it?. Can they help in any way?.

Really really hope to hear from you guys what you think. I'm really sory if it sounds like I'm really frustrated, but i'm getting really tired living with chronic neck pain.

Last edited by nochange; 09-06-2009 at 07:22 AM.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:04 AM   #11
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

If this continues & your current doctors are not answering your questions you have to start some where. So many things can mimic each other.
    As far as TMJ one trip to the dentist & they should be able to tell you if you have it or not. The teeth show wear & they can feel your jaw. Im worse when my other problems with my spine are bad as this causes me to clench & adds to the ear & jaw & sometimes head pain. I cant go without my muscle relaxer or its worse, especially at night & in the morning. It took me several MRs to find what would work best with me. Before surgery I had both the cervial & the TMJ going on so severe I could not tell what was causing what. As everything hurt.
    As I said if your doctors are not giving you answers then ask if they think there is a reason you should seek an opinion from another doctor such as an ear, nose & throat. Im just throwing possabilitys out there but maybe it will get them thinking. Better then sitting there worrying & suffering. Wont hurt to ask. The worst is not knowing & being left to suffer & wonder. Good luck & I hope you get some relief. Sammy

Old 07-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #12
    davidore
    (male)

davidore HB User

hi nochange,
    sorry for the bad English,
    i have a neck pain radiating to my throat, as if some nerve is ordering my throat to stiff it comes mainly from the left side.
    the pain is radiating little bit to the left shoulder, but the worst is the pain radiating to the throat tried to look into the pain - the pain in the throat is something like as if energy or i don't know what that flows in the neck is stuck somewhere and instead of going upwards or down wards it goes to the throat and makes the throat mussels contract. As if something is stuck in the neck and it makes the energy or pain go to the throat. The pain is always there but it increases if I am talking for long time or sitting uncomfortably or doing sport. The pain relief only if I lie down and let the throat mussels contract till the pain becomes not so bad.
    I have results from neck CT saying that i have a back, central bulging disks at c3-4 with pressure on duralic bag.
    the doctor says that it doesn't explain my pain.
    I don't know what it is and what can i do ,i cant live with this pain.
    i hope someone recognizes my problem and knows what it is and how can I fix it.
    i am supposed to make MRI test, hope it will show something.
    Hope you will find solution for your pain too.

Last edited by davidore; 07-10-2010 at 12:26 PM.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:41 AM   #13
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hello Davidore, I have 2 bulging disks in my neck plus TMJ. Did they check for TMJ?

I would suggest your doctor check for TMJ.

May I ask where do you live?. I'm asking this cause Oxycontin(narcotic pain meds)take care of this problem, ie, the pain is pretty much GONE, though your doctor sill need to increase the dose all the time cause of body tolerance.

If you live outside the United States - That could be a problem to get a prescription for narcotic pain meds. They won't give it to you.
    Australia is a little bit better with that, they give some narcotic pain meds.
    But Europe, Russia and other third world countries - Forget it, you won't get any narcotic pain meds over there unless you're going to die, ie, cancer etc.

What else, clonazepam is available in most countries and it works. But still you will need to increase to the dose and doctors won't allow all doses of this benzo.
    THere are other benzo's to try though also like valium, though, valium didn't do anything for this neck pain.

Vitamins: REcently I've started taking vitamins twice a day: in the morning I take magnesium plus vitamin B6(it's in the same bottle) like 2 tablets I take at once
    then I take vitamin E 100mg one tablet together with selenium 100mg.

I repeat the same "ritual", at night time.

I also take neurontin(gabapentin) about 800mg-1200mg-1600mg a day. it depends.

My pain also radiates from the left side of my neck to my ear and then flowing into my throat.

But if you try what I've written here, (before you try oxycontin)it might help

I"m surprised to meet here somebody who suffers like I do. Please let me know how you doing.\

p.s. how were you injured???

Old 07-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
    davidore
    (male)

davidore HB User

Hello nochange,
    I am from Israel.
    I am sorry to hear about your pain,
    I think I suffer much less,
    I hope I could help you as much as you helped me.
    After reading your reply I read at the internet abut TMJ and went to my doctor that sent me to an expert,
    I am supposed to see him next month,
    Meanwhile they asked me to for a panoramic picture of my mouth which I will make tomorrow,
    I read a bit and they wrote this as symptom:
    Do your facial muscles feel tired or stiff when you awaken, during the day, after a lot of speaking or when yawning?
    And it is very similar to what I feel,
    Thank you very much for pointing that my pain might result from TMJ disorder,
    I promise to let you know what will I find next,
    I wasn’t injured , I remember having this pain ever since I was 15yo,
    And the doctor didn’t know why, they always thought it is not physical but mental,
    Lately I thought that my pain comes from the neck bulking disk that I pointed before – c3-4,
    But now after reading your reply it might as well be TMJ,
    About the medicine you suggested I will show your reply to the expert next month,
    Thanks a lot,
    Davidore

Last edited by moderator2; 07-10-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Closed Thread