It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• New Member recently fused C3/4. dizziness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
    muku
    (male)

muku HB User
    New Member recently fused C3/4. dizziness

Hello all, I am a 53 yr old male who found out how miserable a bone spur complex and DDD of the cervical can be. I have DDD C5-7. C1-2 have been adjusted at the chiroprator. Never had epidurals or discograms.

I had C3/4 fused almost 4 weeks ago. Things were gong OK until today I was doing my PT instructed chin tucks, walking this morning. Then My previous symptoms ( what I think are neurological ) came back. They are light headedness and tinitus, Since my surgery I have no relief for my shoulder pain. It has been compressed since last October. I have had an MRA and CT brain scans that came back fine. Ofcourse the day I had these I was not feeling lightheaded.

DO you think that the resumption of this is a spot or lesion on the cord of the fusion? And if so will that heal now that the spurs are gone and the fusing takes place?

What other docs or tests could you recommend. The orthopedic who did the fusion seems awfully busy and since my above tests came back normal he won't comment on this lightheadness issue.

Thanks and happy healing to us all,
    Mike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: New Member recently fused C3/4. dizziness

Have you seen an Ear, Nose and Throat doc for the tinnitus? It might be linked to the dizziness. It might have nothing to do with the neck although dizziness can occur due to the fusion but usually a larger fusion that affects a good part of the cervical spine. As for the shoulder pain, if you have OA in the spine, you probably have OA in the shoulder joint...not the actual shoulder joint itself but the AC joint where the collar bone and shoulder blade come together. It's on top of the shoulder...follow the collar bone up to the top of the shoulder and press. If it hurts, you may have your culprit. There is a huge bursa in there and any OA in that joint gives you chronic bursitis and I can tell you from experience...it hurts more than the neck surgery!

I had both at the same time and had both of the AC joints operated on only to find I still hurt. Next step was the neck MRI and surprise!...I had an even worse neck! I was very dizzy after my fusion and it took months to go away and I still get it. I has to do with the inability to make the numerous minute movements we all use to balance ourselves. When they can't be made due to fusion then you lose your balance and get dizzy. But your fusion is not that large. I'm C3 to T1....6 vertebrae.

So I'd check with an ENT to see if it's your inner ear that is the problem. And I'd have that shoulder MRI'd.

good luck...........Jenny

Old 08-25-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
    muku
    (male)

muku HB User

Hi Jenny,
    Thank you for the factual and nheartfelt reply. I have been to an ENT but we havent looked at the inner ear yet. As far as the shoulder I have an MRI on that and sure enough it has the point right on top that they want to endoscopically remove 3 months, minimum, after this fusion..

SOrry about the extent of your neck. I have gotten 7 surgical opinions and some wanted to do fuse C3/4 and posterior framinotomy for facet enlargening. My worry is that but also C2/3 might have facet probs that were not screened beforehand. I had 3 of the best Los Angeles SUrgeons study the film before I had the C3/4 fusion 5 months after C3/4 anterior framinotomy didnt get the spurs and prevented ADR, there.

Did your shoulders ever get relief from your pre neck surgery? or now?
    Todays dizziness and shoulder pain either came on from a chin tuck walk or the pail I lifted last night or the way I slept.I've had a pretty good week before today. Numb/pain shoulder but today was the big vertigo like symptoms all day long.

I'll red some more of your history.
    Thank you for the help and I hope you get continued relief,
    mike

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
    Have you seen an Ear, Nose and Throat doc for the tinnitus? It might be linked to the dizziness. It might have nothing to do with the neck although dizziness can occur due to the fusion but usually a larger fusion that affects a good part of the cervical spine. As for the shoulder pain, if you have OA in the spine, you probably have OA in the shoulder joint...not the actual shoulder joint itself but the AC joint where the collar bone and shoulder blade come together. It's on top of the shoulder...follow the collar bone up to the top of the shoulder and press. If it hurts, you may have your culprit. There is a huge bursa in there and any OA in that joint gives you chronic bursitis and I can tell you from experience...it hurts more than the neck surgery!

I had both at the same time and had both of the AC joints operated on only to find I still hurt. Next step was the neck MRI and surprise!...I had an even worse neck! I was very dizzy after my fusion and it took months to go away and I still get it. I has to do with the inability to make the numerous minute movements we all use to balance ourselves. When they can't be made due to fusion then you lose your balance and get dizzy. But your fusion is not that large. I'm C3 to T1....6 vertebrae.

So I'd check with an ENT to see if it's your inner ear that is the problem. And I'd have that shoulder MRI'd.

good luck...........Jenny

Old 08-27-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Hey there thought I would give this a try. I had both shoulder & cervical problems. Had shoulder decompression first, bursitis, tendonitis, athrititis, found some bone spurs during that surgery & during the fusion, which I had 11 months after the shoulder surgery. I had the C5-6 done in dec.
    The shoulder was about as bad as it could get before either surgery, meaning the pain was enough to control me life & have me hanging over the toilet with it. The pain has never gone completely away but its not as bad as it was & I pray it never gets that bad. I still have it but not to that degree.
    Have had some problems lately & praying it does not get as bad as it was.

Since the pain is in both shoulders at times I know its the neck. I can tell you after shoulder surgery the pain decreased & after fusion the level of pain decreased once more.
    Ive also been experiacing the dizziness & it comes with the movement of my neck. It started a couple months ago but did not occur often, This past few weeks its become worse & this week its been daily. In fact the other day it was driving me crazy. I have some issues with C4 & 7 also so perhaps its related. If I recall correctly there has been someone in the past here that experianced dizziness also.

I can share with you what Ive been told, some people experiance pain as the the spine & nerves try to rejuvinate. We are told it can take a year or more to know the success of a fusion. I was told the same pretty much with my decompression of the shoulder. Due the time it can take for bone growth.

I honestly think its a wait & see as far as fusions go, some have relief right after surgery & others dont. Im sure there are alot of factors involved, the length of time the injury existed, how much the cord & nerves was involved, how well the recovery goes & so on...
    Good luck with the shoulder as I know thats a tough one. Sammy

Closed Thread