It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• why does my cervical spondylitis flare up when i get a urine infection?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-01-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
    eileen70
    (female)

eileen70 HB User
    why does my cervical spondylitis flare up when i get a urine infection?

why does my cervical spondylitis flare up when i get a urine infection?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: why does my cervical spondylitis flare up when i get a urine infection?

Do your cervical problems cause urine retention? Then it could not only be causing it but when you get an infection, the straining we do with an infection can cause pain right up the whole cord to the neck. Even more likely if the neck problem is implicated in the cause of the infections. Do you have pain when constipated and straining? Same problem and possibly the same cause. Pressure on the spinal cord can cause all sots of problems but any problems with bladder or bowel function should be reported to your doc immediately. I know that wasn't your question but it was the first thing that came to mind as I've experienced a similar problem.

gentle hugs.............Jenny

Old 09-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

I have had the same thing and this is a know entity. Straining is not probably the cause in your UTI case if they come on together. In adults, lumbar infections may often originate from urinary tract infections which drain thru Batson's venous plexus. Respiratory system is also a source of blood borne infection; patients may present 1-8 weeks from the original inciting event. This is called discitis. I believe it is more rare to flare the cervical, but mine flares up too.

I had this 2x before we figured it out. Once I start up on Cipro by the second day my pain level gets better from before.

Last edited by PNo; 09-03-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I didn't know that! Wow..a communicating bladder infection with the spine...YIKES But thank you for educating me. I know when I've had a UTI it hurts to pee so I end up kind of straining...try to go but also not wanting to to prevent the pain and it aggravates my spine all the way to my neck. Same when straining to have a bowel movement. I get a rapid heart beat now and then and my doc has me do the Valsalva Maneuver...straining as if you are really constipated and it affects the heart beat and slows it down...hurts my spine then too! So I figured it might be the same as with me.

You've taught me something, Neck patient...thanks. Now here's another question along the same line...what about a pilonidal cyst at the base of the spine. Can that also get into the spinal column? I had surgery for one many, many years ago but it re-formed. It is very deep and almost required a skin graft due to depth and size and they next time it gets infected, it will. I've often wondered if that can grow upward towards the spine and if so, how would I know? And if it gets infected, would that open me up to the infection moving into the spine?

Scary stuff. Thanks.

gentle hugs..........Jenny

Old 09-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
    trychocolate
    (female)

trychocolate HB User

Welcome to the Boards, eileen70,

If I have the correct term, spondylitis, then isn't that an auto-immune/arthritic condition of the vertebrae that also affects the sacral joint as well? So if you have problems with this, whether causing you pain at the moment or not in your lower spine, couldn't this cause some urinary problems like retention and frequency, which could easily cause UTI, ongoing? Just a thought from out there.

choc

Last edited by trychocolate; 09-04-2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: please delete one of these duplicate posts--tks

Old 09-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
    trychocolate
    (female)

trychocolate HB User

Welcome to the Boards, eileen70,

If I have the correct term, spondylitis, then isn't that an auto-immune/arthritic condition of the vertebrae that also affects the sacral joint as well? So if you have problems with this, whether causing you pain at the moment or not in your lower spine, couldn't this cause some urinary problems like retention and frequency, possibly causing UTI, ongoing? Just a thought from out there.

choc

Old 09-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

jennybyc - a pilonidal cyst could be in a very deep tract. It is extremely rare to extend into the spinal cord but it is possible and can cause damage when it happens.

Closed Thread