It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Back after my 3 level fusion surgery still in a lot of pain!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
    Ashley89772
    (female)

Ashley89772 HB User
    Back after my 3 level fusion surgery still in a lot of pain!

Hey everyone, been off the board for a few weeks trying to recuperate after my 3 level neck surgery on C3 C6. All and all the surgery went well but I am still in a lot of pain. They kept me in the hospital for 3 days post op and then I was sent home. Just praying for a solid fusion now!

I have been back to my Doctor once for a check up and he said everything looked good. I was only with him 25 minutes or so, he checked the incision, looked at the x-rays, adjusted my brace and sent me on my way. I was hoping he would give me something more for he pain but he did not. Any suggestions on pain medications ??

Also, any pointers on how to get good nights sleep? Right now I am really struggling with getting comfortable and I toss and turn all night long! It would sure be nice to get some good rest!

Thanks for listening

Ashley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: Back after my 3 level fusion surgery still in a lot of pain!

Did you discuss your pain level with the doctor? They won't automatically offer it in some cases if you don't tell them you need help. The general recommendation is to not take ibuprofen as studies show it might interfere with fusing. Take tylenol. I can't believe you aren't taking anything - what is your pain level? Did you go home after surgery with medication? 3 levels is pretty painful - I think this is something you should discuss with your doctor about what to do about your pain. After surgeries it is pretty common to prescribe for the following 6 weeks, with tapering of medication over the weeks. If your pain persists you need to speak with the doctor. It will not be uncommon for you to have varying levels of pain for months after this surgery as you heal. Some days you might have good days, some might be a little more painful. Use the lowest level pain medicine you can get away with but if you are in too high pain during recovery you should push on dr. because this might hold you back in walking and moving towards recovery!

As for fusing - that can take a very long time -up to a year, you will hopefully notice improvement every week, as more and more fuses your pain should get better and better. Seems like somewhere around 15 weeks I started noticing bigger improvement.

As for sleeping you probably have a collar? All I can tell you is I slept in a recliner for 3 months until my collar came off. I could not get comfortable in the bed no matter what I did. My second surgery I was fused C4-7

Old 11-25-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
    Rjviking84
    (male)

Rjviking84 HB User
    Re: Back after my 3 level fusion surgery still in a lot of pain!

Sorry to make two posts of this message but I wanted to make sure that it was in your latest one.
    Hi Ashley that really stinks about what you are going through and I think I will eventuallly be able to relate to it. I was in a car accident a couple of weeks ago and to make a long story short will have to be in a Minerva Brace. I just had a couple of things that I wanted to ask you.
    1. What was the brace fitting like and how long was the process?
    2. How tough is it to be in the brace now?

Closed Thread