It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Unusual symptoms with spinal cord compression

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
    Bobbyboo
    (female)

Bobbyboo HB User
    Unusual symptoms with spinal cord compression

Sammyo1 and I had mentioned on a different thread unusual symptoms that were experienced with spinal cord compression but disappeared after surgery - mine were left sided facial and lip numbness (I was told this wouldn't be on the C6/7 nerve route) and this strange feeling for many years that the entire left side of my body was smaller and shorter than the right. I even got my legs measured I was so convinced that one was shorter than the other. After my ACDF I returned to having a normal perception and sensation of both sides of the my body.

Just curious to hear any other unusual symptoms which cleared up after surgery.

Bobbyboo x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
    binx
    (female)

binx HB User
    Re: Unusual symptoms with spinal cord compression

dear bobbyboo,

i haven't yet had ACDF surgery, but your description of your symptoms and how they went away after your surgery gives me hope. i have also had a lot of facial and lip numbness, along with tingling in my scalp, which the drs. have said cannot be related to my c5-c6 herniation since it is not on the nerve route. i never had these symptoms before my neck problems, and they can't seem to find anything else going on that would cause these symptoms, so i am sticking by my theory that the disc is causing the problems. i'm still on the fence about surgery, but leaning more toward having it done. i will certainly let you know when i wake up and have these symptoms gone!

Old 09-16-2009, 05:22 AM   #3
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

This is an excellant post Bobby. As I had 2 doctors tell me my headaches were not being caused from what appeared on the MRI with my C5-6. There are so many things to consider. First of all there is no test that is 100%. Until a surgeon gets in there they dont know for sure if there is any other problems not seen on film. Ive spoke to others who have had other things discovered during surgery.
    Another thing I was told in the very beginning of this mess which was yrs ago that I could not possably have problems in both the cervical & lumbar. When after speaking to my surgeon he said this is not uncommon at all. I do indeed have both cervical & lumbar disc problems. Makes me angry that these problems may have progressed due to being misinformed. If a person has pain or symptoms in the upper & lower extremities & there is no explanation as to why based on a cervical MRI then they should proceed to investiagate. At least an attempt is being made. I think in some cases due to the fact they can only do surgery on one area at a time this is put off. In the mean time a patient should know so at least they could use preventative care if possable. I find doctors rely so much on MRIs & I would love to hear how many people have problems not found by this test.

Recently when having an EMG done the doctor doing the test made a comment that has stuck with me. He stated we are not all wired alike & if you think about it this makes sense. The human body & spine are so complex.
    Everyone may not display the same symptoms or pain.
    Sometimes doctors dont listen or take patients as seriously as they should. I could feel changes right before surgery. I remember telling my husband I could feel something had changed & indeed it had. You know your own body better then anyone else.
    Im hoping others that have experianced anything outside the norm will respond to this thread as it really can give others insight & hope or at the very least knowledge. Sammy

Old 09-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
    binx
    (female)

binx HB User

it took me 2 months to be properly diagnosed because i didn't actually have any neck pain when this all started for me 8 months ago. it started with a sudden onset of a headache at the base of my skull and some lightheadedness, then the scalp tingling, lip and facial numbness, etc. i had blurred vision, abnormal pupil dilation, and then came the numbness and weakness in my arms and legs which has now become isolated to the left side of my body.

my PCP told me it was anxiety and prescribed valium. he looked me square in the eye when i asked for a referral to a neurologist and said "i do not believe there is anything neurological going on with you." after 8 weeks, i finally got in to the neurologist who ordered the cervical spine MRI and voilą--c5-c6 herniation and c4-c5 & c6-c7 bulges. needless to say, i have a new PCP.

Last edited by binx; 09-17-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

You to, lots of those storys around like yours. I had the same problem at the start. Heck I was in the doctors once a week & no xray no nothing. My husband who has the same PCP would go in with his foot or whatever & tests were ordered. I honest to god think some of these doctors think I was some bored middle age women with nothing better to do but complain. The sad thing is these records & charts can follow you & one doctor can set the tone. I have struggled with getting past my anger at doctors as it cost me things I can never get back, time with people I love dearly who are passed on. It will take me time to get over that one.

I understand certain people & cases can be a challange but any good doctor can see & feel theres a problem. I have some medical training & we were taught right off the get go what to watch for. We have discussions on other boards over men & women receiving different care & Im not against men for any reason as Im sure it happens to men also but theres alot of women who are told its anxiety or depression or whatever. I would love to put one of those doctors in my body for just 24hrs. Thats not real nice to say but I promise they would stop & think before doing that to another patient. I just dont see what not being able to wipe my own rear has anything to do with anxiety or depression,lol. After dealing with those doctors in the beginning you bet I had anxiety & depression. heck who wouldnt? I no longer have patience for any doctor who dont listen & my heart goes out to anyone who has to go through the same. Sammy

Old 09-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
    binx
    (female)

binx HB User

i don't even want to get started with how frustrated i became with my PCP and his dismissive response to my symptoms/concerns. i think about writing him a letter sometimes in hopes that it will help him serve his existing patients better in the future, but then don't think it's worth my energy. he will likely not even read it.

i fortunately connected with a new PCP who also has concerns about my anxiety surrounding my situation--like sammy said, who wouldn't have anxiety about all this stuff???--but first and foremost, she has expressed how much she wants me to get the best care available for my neck. i feel grateful to have found my way to her practice and she seems to understand that i feel anxious because of the symptoms i have experienced from the disc herniation and spinal cord compression; not the other way around.

Closed Thread