It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Numb patches on back?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
    matt3507
    (male)

matt3507 HB User
    Numb patches on back?

Hi all,

When I move my head around or bend forward I get these large patches of numbness in my back. It feels like they are pretty big. 25% of my back maybe. They float around. It's creepy. There is no extra pain associated with it I don't think. It is so hard to describe this stuff (most of you already know that!) My doc. said it was probably inflammation or something. Have not spoke with NS about it.

Anyone else? I don't like it I am putting off fusion c5-c6 as long as I can. I don't feel like I am strong enough to really recover from that operation.

I have a little twitching in my hands. I wake up with numb hands because of severe carpal. It seems like I can live with the carpal for now though.

Take care all spine people, matt

Last edited by matt3507; 10-01-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Numb patches on back?

Hi Matt..how's Seattle these days..heading into a rainy winter? I actually have had about 1/6th of my back numb for years and have no idea why. Recently it grew in size and the other side is doing it too. Nothing shows in that area of my back but there must be nerve damage somewhere. Numb is never good but the back has the fewest nerve endings of anywhere on the body so a numb area may have just one nerve serving the area. But the question again is, is there a loss of function? Is it affecting moving or breathing? Those huge muscles in the back work your shoulders to lift and pull...are they working?

If they are working, then I wouldn't worry too much. Sensory surface skin nerves can be affected by many things but not involve the muscles. And they tend to come back even after years of numbness once the problem is found and fixed.

So relax and get ready for the rain. My brother is in the Canadian Rockies not too far from you and they had a bad fire season this year and he can't wait for the rains and snows. A positive way to look at the rain.

Take care and gentle hugs.................Jenny

Old 10-03-2009, 01:07 AM   #3
    matt3507
    (male)

matt3507 HB User
    Re: Numb patches on back?

Hi Jenny,
    With all you have going on you still typed. Thank you so much. I feel better knowing the numb thing isn't a real emergency - just spooky. Like most neck stuff. I really don't know about the strength thing. I can still breathe just fine. My doc. seems to think it is ok.

How are you today? How are your pain levels? Have you been able to do anything to make yourself feel good lately? Heating pad, ice, maybe soaking in a tub w/epsom salts? I just got a business card from a lady who is a medical masseuse(sp?). She is $85.00 an hour and my insurance will cover some visits.

My point is she deals with people who have a lot of pain. I'm too scared right now to let anyone near my neck, but maybe it works for you. Of course there is acupuncture. I had no luck with traditional, but there is an acu guy I saw who did "fishing". It's where they make your muscles twitch and contract till they are tired. Oh boy that was awesome. Ins. covered many visits. Unfortunately he moved.

Have you had some blood drawn lately to see about vitamin deficiences? I was deficient in "D" vitamins. Now I take a multi. every day. That helped a little also.

You know what else I was thinking about was voice recognition software, like that "Dragon Naturally Speaking". You know where you talk instead of type. I saw it on ****** for $44.50.

I'm just trying to think of other stuff that might help you in some way.

Well, thx again, that was so nice of you, and I hope you can find a few things to make yourself feel good while we wait for next gen. medicine. With all this new biotech we may see nerve regeneration or something in our lifetimes. Something to hope for. Ok blah blah I'll stop.

I'll be watching to see how you are doing, matt

P.S. It poured today. Time get out the canoe!

Last edited by matt3507; 10-03-2009 at 01:08 AM. Reason: forgot something

Closed Thread