It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Titanium Plates

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
    estella3
    (female)

estella3 HB User
    Exclamation Titanium Plates

The surgeon also said he would using titanium plates. I was wondering it their is a chance of being allergic to the titanium.. I asked him this he said no, its titanium. I was wondering if anyone had a reaction to titanium nonetheless. WONDERING ALSO, Can you actually FEEL the titanium plate in your throat? ESTELLA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
    Stonepile
    Inactive
    (female)

Stonepile HB User
    Re: Titanium Plates

Estella - I have asked the question about anybody else feeling the plate in their neck as well. However, I asked it after the surgery. I did feel my plate for probably 5 months after my ACDF. In fact, it felt likesomething in my throat would get stuck on it when I'd swallow and for the first few months I had to be careful when I ate. I have lost about 30 lbs. since my surgery and maybe that has something to do with the fact that I don't notice the plate anymore when I swallow (or sing), but it could be just the normal length of time that it takes to either get used to it or for it to completely heal.

There were not very many people that answered me when I asked about this question and so I don't know how common it is.

I will tell you that I am pain free six months out and even my shoulders have quit hurting. (I thought I had rotator cuff issues in both shoulders.)

Hope this helps to answer your question,
    Stonepile

Old 10-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
    estella3
    (female)

estella3 HB User

Where did you have youre surgery done? I am in PA. Today my shoulders hurt, feels like the rotator cuffs. I am getting a second opinion about the acdf surgery, and then if the second surgeon recommends me having it done ,i will... Im just not looking forward to the recovery period. or the risks of my discs above and below the fusion herniating because of the fusion. Im glad the feeling in the throat goes away.. Estella

Old 10-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

It's rare to actually feel the plate. Some people do sense it in terms of having some problems swallowing at first but you won't be able to palpate it with your fingers. Titanium is used in all types of orthopedic surgeries quite successfully (knee, hip, elbow, neck, back, etc).

The Following User Says Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
    bunz50 (05-25-2011)
    Old 10-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
    Stonepile
    Inactive
    (female)

Stonepile HB User

estella3- I had my surgery in Indiana. I had considered going somewhere other than our local hospital. I did a lot of research and called a couple of practices outside my city. Then I met with the NS from our hospital and new after all the research that what he said I could believe and I felt completely comfortable and confident in his abilities. I have absolutely no doubt that there are extremely capable NS in PA.

As far as not looking forward to the recovery period goes I knew I couldn't live (at least with a clear mind and happily) the way I was before my surgery. I was taking some heavy meds and didn't want to live that way if I could avoid it. Fortunately for me my NS told me that the only way to take care of my problem and pain, numbness, radiculopathy etc. was surgery. All that disappeared (plus my shoulder pain) immediately after surgery. ]

The pain from the surgery was negligible in comparison to the prior pain. I didn't take any pain medicine after three days.

I do hope that you find a doctor that you will be able to completely trust. Keep us updated if you feel comfortable in doing so.

SpineAZ - thanks for the input. I could guess it wasn't all that common since very few commented on the post, but I appreciate your knowledge. The feeling in my throat from the plate was the most annoying part of the recovery after surgery for me. I barely notice it now. Yeah raw for titanium!!!

Stonepile

Old 10-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
    binx
    (female)

binx HB User

estella,

looks like you and i may be on a similar timeline with respect to surgery. i am going to see my neurologist on wednesday for a follow up, and then will likely be scheduling ACDF surgery with my NS for mid-november provided everything goes well with my neurologist. i am in california, but my family lived in central PA when i was in jr. high. just a suggestion, but maybe check out if there are any neurosurgeons available to you through Geisinger. my mom had bypass surgery at the Danville center when it was much less commonplace and i remember everyone talking about what a top-notch facility it was at the time.

stonepile, it is good to see your feedback again since you had such a good outcome from your surgery. that is so incredibly helpful for those of us who are still pending surgical intervention.

as far as titanium goes, like spineAZ said, it is used for a wide variety of surgical procedures. i have a piece of it in my hand from a ligament repair procedure i had done 4 years ago. it hasn't caused me any trouble. my sister also has 17 pieces of it in her neck from her laminaplasty and ACDF procedures and has not had any allergenic issues with it either.

healing thoughts to one and all.
    binx

Old 10-20-2009, 05:11 AM   #7
    Stonepile
    Inactive
    (female)

Stonepile HB User

Binx- thanks for the positive feedback. There are so many present on the board who still suffer so much pain that I try to be careful in order to avoid a situation that might feel like "rubbing salt in a wound". I do try to share my happy outcome periodically in order for those like you two that are facing possible ACDF to know that it does work, and more often than it appears on the board because once the surgery is successful and the pain is gone those people get back to enjoying life!

Best wishes to both of you, Estelle & Binx. I'll be thinking and praying for you both.

Stonepile

Last edited by Stonepile; 10-20-2009 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Mispelled word

Old 05-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
    hndrsn12b
    (male)

hndrsn12b HB User

My wife had been diagnosed as having titanium poisoning/hypersensitity in Jan 2011. In 2001, she had neck surgery which required her to have a titanium plate/screws inserted into her neck. All of the Drs we have seen have said they have heard of this but do not have any experience. We have been told that more than likely she will need the hardware removed.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
    kelownabc
    (male)

kelownabc HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by binx View Post
    estella,

looks like you and i may be on a similar timeline with respect to surgery. i am going to see my neurologist on wednesday for a follow up, and then will likely be scheduling ACDF surgery with my NS for mid-november provided everything goes well with my neurologist. i am in california, but my family lived in central PA when i was in jr. high. just a suggestion, but maybe check out if there are any neurosurgeons available to you through Geisinger. my mom had bypass surgery at the Danville center when it was much less commonplace and i remember everyone talking about what a top-notch facility it was at the time.

stonepile, it is good to see your feedback again since you had such a good outcome from your surgery. that is so incredibly helpful for those of us who are still pending surgical intervention.

as far as titanium goes, like spineAZ said, it is used for a wide variety of surgical procedures. i have a piece of it in my hand from a ligament repair procedure i had done 4 years ago. it hasn't caused me any trouble. my sister also has 17 pieces of it in her neck from her laminaplasty and ACDF procedures and has not had any allergenic issues with it either.

healing thoughts to one and all.
    binx
    I have to chuckle when I read comments about feeling the plates and or screws. This is impossible, as there are no nerves in your spine. I'm not sure whats being felt but it's certainly not the plate or screws

Closed Thread