It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid/spinal issues

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
    Thyroid/spinal issues

Wondering if anyone else who has hypothyroid is worse off in pain since getting the thryoid levels corrected? The past 2 months since I increased my thyroid meds and added cytomel I am in severe neck pain. I'm thinking the stimulation from the t-3 addition is increasing the nerve endings? Almost like all these yrs of not being treated for my thyroid disease maybe I was more "numb" to the pain? seeing how hypothyroidism slows everything else down???? its becoming a no win situation, fix one thing and the other gets worse, urgh.....( I do have cervical stenosis, 2 levels above fusion are bulging)
    Hysterectomy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
    Stonepile
    Inactive
    (female)

Stonepile HB User
    Re: Thyroid/spinal issues

kindspirit- I too have Hashimoto's (hypothyroidism) and have had my C5-C7 fused (4/09). I actually have had my thyroid meds decreased as I've lost weight before and after my ACDF surgery. I'm not saying that the thyroid can't have an affect on pain levels, but I haven't noticed it. I am going to do a quick search and get back with you. I am sorry that you are having increased pain in your neck. It has to be frustrating, like you mentioned, to fix one thing only to find something else rearing it's ugly head. Your theory about how the thyroid influences so many things and so why not pain holds some water. I'll see what I can find.

Stonepile

Old 10-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
    Stonepile
    Inactive
    (female)

Stonepile HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kindspirit View Post
    Wondering if anyone else who has hypothyroid is worse off in pain since getting the thryoid levels corrected? The past 2 months since I increased my thyroid meds and added cytomel I am in severe neck pain. I'm thinking the stimulation from the t-3 addition is increasing the nerve endings? Almost like all these yrs of not being treated for my thyroid disease maybe I was more "numb" to the pain? seeing how hypothyroidism slows everything else down???? its becoming a no win situation, fix one thing and the other gets worse, urgh.....( I do have cervical stenosis, 2 levels above fusion are bulging)
    kindspirit- Of course there is absolutely no way for me to tell you that your increase in pain is due to the increase in your thyroid meds, but I did find one "study that was conducted to determine the effect of thyroid hormone on opiate receptor ligand-binding and pain sensitivity." They made the mice hyperthyroid by feeding them increased amounts of thyroxine. Then they measured the number of opiate receptors and found that they were increased in the mice made hyperthyroid. They somehow used a hotplate (afraid to guess at how it was used) but found that the "findings demonstrate that thyroxine increases opiate receptor number and native pain sensitivity but decreases the duration of analgesia from morphine."

It sounds like your idea could possibly be a factor, but the real question would be "are you hyperthyroid with the med increase?" Treatment shouldn't make you hyperthyroid, but to make your thyroid levels fall in the "normal range."

Maybe somebody else will have some experience with their levels and give you some more feedback. Are you having any other symptoms of cervical spine problems besides the increase in pain? (ie. numbness, radiculopathy etc.?)

Wishing you pain relief!
    Stonepile

Old 10-19-2009, 03:13 AM   #4
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Kindspirit-I don't remember from our last chat, did you get your vitamin D level checked during the increase?

Old 10-19-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for the research Stone!! My last labs were low 1's and t-3's were low, so added small amt of cytomel. I don't feel "hyper", energy is better but no big weight loss. I've had these horrid "bouts" of pain since my surgery, can't sit long, severe head pain while sitting too long, and yes left side is all pins and needles! up my neck into my head, sides of face, arm, hand. Per mri I have impigment on the left side, narrowing, stenosis and more bulges. From what I hear fusing more above creates a dangerous surgery? The top of my left foot is numb too. My lumbar is collapsed at l5/s1 and mild bulges above that area too. I just feel like my receptors are more alive now, thus constant pain. Nothing is really helping, in fact drank pretty heavy yesterday,rum, seeing if that helps? nope, just drunk in pain, lol. I'm so afraid of another surgery! calling a surgeon today for an opinion? and going to pain mgt on the 26th, esi's??? But this pain situation is destroying my life and all activities. You'd think by now, medical science would have a better solution, they replace knees etc.
    Neck patient: yes, vit d checked and fine, I do get a lot of sun here in Fl.
    If its the nerve compressed what is the best solution? esi's? or surgery?
    Hysterectomy

Old 10-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
    Stonepile
    Inactive
    (female)

Stonepile HB User

kindspirit - you're welcome. I wish I could give you some relief! I'll leave the rest of this medical stuff to people like neckpatient who have had lots more experience and have more knowledge than I do. I had to chuckle and then share your "rum" experience with my husband. Thanks for the laugh.

Stonepile

Old 10-19-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Weight loss for a hashi's thyroid patient - nope you will fight for every single pound. It just stinks that even managed it will fight you all the way.

Forget the drinking - all it will do it make you drunk, maybe not worry so much about the pain and as soon as it wears off you will hurt even worse! lol

There is no promise you will be pain free even with the surgery. But it might at least keep the pain from getting worse and worse. I'll go back and read your posts to see what you take, maybe its time to re-evaluate the pain meds.

Stonepile came up with some excellent information on thyroid and pain. I do know there is information out on the internet regarding hashimotos patients.
    We patients with the disease complain of many symptoms, one of the common ones is mild to moderate "joint and muscle pain", couple that with spine initiatated pain and it is a date with disaster. This symptom is also one of those that can seem to linger in some patients, months or even years after treatment. Some patients have a worsening of their joint/muscle pain, after starting the meds. Personally I think inflammation plays a very large role in how we feel, even if it is not being picked up on sed rate blood work.

The mild to moderate muscle pain can include cramping and spasms. Our metabolism is slower than normal. This causes poor blood circulation and so the muscles do not get good blood and oxygen circulation. The inflammation doesn't get flushed out. Some hypothyroid patients experience high blood pressure because the disease causes blood vessels to constrict but at the same time, they do not have proper blood circulation to some of their muscles because heart function is slightly reduced due to slowed metabolism. This can cause symptoms in tendons and ligaments and many hypothyroid patients, that is why you find high number of hypothyroid patients who also have "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome" (hand/wrist) and "Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome" (feet). A good exercise program would help us, but if that process of exercise flares up your spine problems then it is a vicious circle!!!

Go to the surgeon and the consultation - with the information in hand you can start deciding what to do.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks NeckPt, I just posted my "er" experiance today. The labs did show my tsh at .30 and t-3 pretty high...so looks like I am a bit "hyper" now? maybe that cytomel addition did speed things up and thus more pain? I'm gonna cut back a bit on it and see? I'll get the surgeon's opinion and get esi's hopefully from the pain dr. As far as meds: I take hyrdo's only rarely and flexeril rarely. Today I got stronger hydros from the er and demerol, just a wks worth. I hate pain meds, they make me feel yucky! The er day probably did me some good, the iv had dilaudid, potent stuff! and layed there for 5 hrs! I do stay active, walking really helps me! its the sitting stuff! long drives, eating out etc. Stonepile, glad you got a "chuckle" out of the rum ordeal!! it was too funny, even today with the dilaudid, I still could feel the pins and needles! Take care you guys!
    Hysterectomy

Old 10-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

How much cytomel do you take? I am down to 10mcg a day, i take 5 in the morning with my synthroid and 5 in the afternoon by itself. If you are taking all in the morning, you might go hyper. I used to 25mcg and we had to bring that down because I got on the hyper side like you. I stay around .75ish to feel good.

Plus if you got your blood work in the morning right after you tookl it you will be high. My endo found the best thing for me was to split because I was still needing it just not all at once.

I don't know many people who like to take meds, but it may become a necessary thing for you. I fought it lots along the way, but now I am on fentanyl patch and have never been as comfortable. I am happier, and able to do more than before. The stabs are present, but they don't shoot me to the ceiling most of the time. I think that's what a pain medicine is supposed to do for you. the more you take it regularly your body adjusts and you don't get all those loopy or high feelings from it, at least I don't - no one or me would even know I am taking anything.

Rest up and update when you see the doctor!

Closed Thread