It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Pins n'needles up neck to head??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
    Pins n'needles up neck to head??

I spent the day in the ER due to this crapola, pins and needles running up my neck into my head and sides of face, mouth etc. The doctor insisted any nerve problem from the spine would NOT travel up --but, goes down. She compared the Christopher Reeves situation. Went thru cat scan and blood work, all ok. I beg to differ...anyone else share these nerve issues with cervical nerve compression? Waiting on my pain dr and surgeon appts next wk.
    Hysterectomy

The following user gives a hug of support to kindspirit:
    Apolonius (04-30-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
    binx
    (female)

binx HB User
    Re: Pins n'needles up neck to head??

i keep hearing that about symptoms only present below the site of a c-spine injury from medical professionals, but from my own, my sister's and so many other people on this board's experiences, i just don't buy it.

i have all kinds of weird pins and needles at the back of my head, numbness in my forehead, headaches and eye pain that my neurologist feels are related to my c5-6 herniation and c3-4 and c4-5 bulges, but the surgeons have insisted are not. we are trying to rule out the presence of some other neurological issue before i decide to undergo surgery--i see my neurologist tomorrow a.m.--but i am becoming more and more convinced that this is all related to my c-spine.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
    HarleyLdy61
    (female)

HarleyLdy61 HB User

kindspirit,

I can't remember if I got the tingling on the face before surgery but since surgery I get tingling on my scalp -forehead - cheeks - lips. not all at the same time tho. also now have eye pain which was not present before surgery

Liz

Last edited by HarleyLdy61; 10-21-2009 at 11:13 AM. Reason: accidentally hit send

Old 11-01-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi,

I do get tingling on the back of my head sometimes, and I also get a numb right cheek sporadically. However, I don't seem to get back of the head tingling when my cheek is numb. Sometimes I also feel the pins and needles in my cheek. It's actually numb, and feels the same way as when you get novacaine at the dentist. It's actually the right outside edges of my lips, up my cheek right below the eye socket, out and down in a round pattern is where i get numb. I did tell my pain management doctor about it and he said there is a nerve in the head called the trigeminal nerve, which branches out into three different areas of the head. He said one part of that nerve is exactly where I pointed out my cheek numbness. The other part can cause pain & sensations in the jaw area and the last branch can cause symptoms in the scalp, forehead, and eye areas. Usually the condition associated with this is called Trigeminal Neuralgia and most people experience severe, sharp pains in their face. I, however, have never had any pain in my face...I only get the numbness and tingling. But my PM said it was possible to have only these symptoms and no pain, just like with any nerve problems such as sciatica. So something in the area of that nerve is causing inflammation, which causes my symptoms. Usually i've had this happen when I wake up from sleep. I wake up lying flat, but noticed my head is usually tilted back. I've also had my cheek go numb, though, while just sitting at school or work during the day. It never lasts very long and it happens whenever out of the bllue.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
    binx
    (female)

binx HB User

baybreeze,

that is interesting about the trigeminal nerve explanation your pain management doc mentioned. i get numbness in all the areas you mentioned: jaw, forehead and cheek, but not simultaneously, nor have i experienced pain.

i see my neuro again on wednesday and will ask about this. it would put my mind at ease if they could link my less than typical symptoms to something concrete.

best wishes
    binx

Last edited by binx; 11-01-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo

Old 11-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Thanks for all the replys! My new ortho surgeon thinks my "dizzy" issues and tingling are from my thyroid? he sd " I think you have more going on"... I do have hypothyroidism and hashimotos' disease, my levels are extremely hyper right now due to adding t-3. I've since dropped the t-3. I was hoping to get esi's, but he says NO. He doesnt' want me adding anymore stuff in my back! He did reg x-rays' and sd the fusion looks solid, but more concerned with the lumbar area. Guess there are more levels compressed above the discectomy on l5/s1 I had. He doesn't want me to have surgery, that's fine with me, but pain relief would be nice! Pretty much sd I'm a mess, lol. Just about every disc is bulged, and bone on bone near the l5. He wants me to do what I can and take pain meds, keep active the best I can. So back to peg one. I wish I'd never had the cervical fusion! Tried Ultram and felt like I was on speed! Tried so many meds, guess hydro's are the keeper? Hate drugs! but at this point I'm sick of 1 - 2 hrs of a social life! Starting riding my new bike and now lower back pain is worse, urgh, can't win! I refuse to give in to this crapola! aint' dead yet!!!
    Hysterectomy

Old 04-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
    Apolonius
    (female)

Apolonius HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kindspirit View Post
    I spent the day in the ER due to this crapola, pins and needles running up my neck into my head and sides of face, mouth etc. The doctor insisted any nerve problem from the spine would NOT travel up --but, goes down. She compared the Christopher Reeves situation. Went thru cat scan and blood work, all ok. I beg to differ...anyone else share these nerve issues with cervical nerve compression? Waiting on my pain dr and surgeon appts next wk.

Closed Thread