It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• T2-T3 Epidural Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
    syxx_35
    (male)

syxx_35 HB User
    T2-T3 Epidural Question

Just wondering if anyone has had an epidural in this range and could explain to me the procedure and what to expect.

I have been dealing with extreme pain for the last year, finally went to the see the doctor last week and they found a bulging disc in my T2-T3. He gave me Nuerontin and that helped alleviate all of the pain. However recently a new symptom came along, for the last 24 hours I have not been able to move my head due to extreme pain in the same region. Sleeping was horrible and its hard to move my arms without filling a pain in that region.

My doctor has ordered an epidural for the T2-T3. I have had several epidurals in my L2-L3 region but was wondering if the process was different with it being higher.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
    syxx_35
    (male)

syxx_35 HB User
    Re: T2-T3 Epidural Question

Oh crap wrong board. Makes sense why I could not find any posts about this under back problems.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Hi - I have had cervical, thoracic and lumbar epidurals. The procedure are the same. Although one time I had a cervical where I was face up instead of face down and they went in the side.

Of the three types the thoracic hurt me the least. I had T5,6,7 before. T2/3 is a little higher but I would think it would feel the same.

Are they saying your neck pain is coming from T2/3? Where exactly is your pain? Have they looked at your cervical?

Old 10-23-2009, 05:27 AM   #4
    syxx_35
    (male)

syxx_35 HB User

The pain is not neck pain, I should have been clear on that. The pain actually is located between my 2 shoulder blades. The pain I get from moving my arms is like a radiating pain to that same area between my shoulder blades.

The neurontin has worked wonders, for the most part I have been nearly pain free. However I still get the once a week episodes where if I move my head to much or lift my arms higher than my shoulders it feels like a pinching between the shoulder blades.

My main thing was determing if the procedure was different or if it was more painful than the lumbar one. The lumbar injection has been pretty painless for me, the hardest part is the pressure from when they inject.

Anyways, thanks for the information, glad to hear it will not be to much different from what I am used to.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
    larry81
    (male)

larry81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neckpatient View Post
    Hi - I have had cervical, thoracic and lumbar epidurals. The procedure are the same. Although one time I had a cervical where I was face up instead of face down and they went in the side.

Of the three types the thoracic hurt me the least. I had T5,6,7 before. T2/3 is a little higher but I would think it would feel the same.

Are they saying your neck pain is coming from T2/3? Where exactly is your pain? Have they looked at your cervical?
    can i ask you a question on your thoracic epidurals. Does it only help relieve pain from the one disk its put into or will it relieve pain from the whole thoracic area.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
    chatterboxsd
    Veteran
    (female)

chatterboxsd HB User

I have had tons of stuff done at the T6-7 level: all the kinds of injections you can imagine, RFA, fusion, hardware removal, etc.

A steroid injection directly into the disc itself will probably increase your pain in that area initially. Then, hopefully, you'll have some relief. But, they're only injecting that little disc. Not outside the disc space. So, if you experience relief in other areas, it would be because that disc is causing referred pain. Like, because it's impinging nerves or causing muscle spasms.

Obviously, I'm not a doctor, but that's my understanding.

Good luck to you and I hope you have some relief with this injection.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
    larry81
    (male)

larry81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chatterboxsd View Post
    I have had tons of stuff done at the T6-7 level: all the kinds of injections you can imagine, RFA, fusion, hardware removal, etc.

A steroid injection directly into the disc itself will probably increase your pain in that area initially. Then, hopefully, you'll have some relief. But, they're only injecting that little disc. Not outside the disc space. So, if you experience relief in other areas, it would be because that disc is causing referred pain. Like, because it's impinging nerves or causing muscle spasms.

Obviously, I'm not a doctor, but that's my understanding.

Good luck to you and I hope you have some relief with this injection.
    thank you so much. at least now it makes sense.

It sounds like you had the thoracic surgery. did it help. how was the recovery period.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
    chatterboxsd
    Veteran
    (female)

chatterboxsd HB User

I did have thoracic surgery - a few! It's frankly been a disaster. I started with an XLIF at T6-7, which is an extreme lateral interbody fusion. The incisions are rather small and they're between the shoulder blade and armpit. It was a non-union. The recovery was really tough. Very painful and slow. It took a long time before I could breathe well.

Then, I had to have a revision because of the non-union. This was done from the posterior. They put in 2 rods and 4 screws. Fortunately, it was successful. The rods and screws were very invasive, so I had them removed after the fusion was complete. I looked like Frankenstein - they were sticking out of the skin!

I had a lot of problems with the original hardware from the XLIF (a lateral plate and 2 screws.) It was impinging the costovertebral joint, making breathing and all movement very painful. It rested right at the joint and on the nerve. So, I had that remove in April of this year.

Again, it was a difficult surgery because they have to deflate a lung to get in. Very painful and slow to recover.

I now have permanent nerve and muscle damage. I would not have had the original surgery if I knew then what condition I would be in now. I'm only 36 years old. I'm much worse now than I was then.

I had tried everything - injections, RFA, yoga, acupunture, PT, water PT, chiropractic, meds. I would have stuck with meds, I think. Surgery just doesn't work, in my opinion. Scar tissue develops, so even if you feel better for a little while, it will grow around joints or nerves eventually to cause permanent, irreparable pain.

I don't say this to scare you, but to tell you my experience. I really do not believe surgery is the answer. The reason I had so many was because the first one was such a "botch."

Try to manage your condition without cutting. I know you want to FIX it, but more than likely, you won't ever be able to. Surgeons will always recommend surgery. Remember that! I really suggest you find a way to manage your pain without cutting. Injections, PT, meds, yoga, acupuncture or whatever means you can find.

My very, very best wishes to you.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
    larry81
    (male)

larry81 HB User

chatterboxsd,

thank you for the strength you have to share that with me. Even though we are all hurting, there is something comforting about being able to talk and share information with others in similar situations.

I hope and pray for your improving health.

larry 81

Old 10-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
    chatterboxsd
    Veteran
    (female)

chatterboxsd HB User

Thanks, Larry. I re-read that and saw how preachy I got there. Sorry about that! I get on a rant sometimes!

It is so rare, you are right, to find thoracic folks! I don't know ANY personally. The condition is always individual and the course of treatment is unique. I've been at this since I had my injury in 1995. I just kept trying all sorts of treatment and I kept feeling worse. Then I met a surgeon who made this XLIF seem like a "breeze" given my age and that I was otherwise so healthy. The outcome, as you can see, has been anything but.

I'm making my peace, but it's been a real let-down to say the least. I was an athlete, working 60+ hours a week, very social, and the life of the party befor all this. Now, all that is gone. But, I'm a survivor and I'm working on re-inventing. I just hate to think of someone else going through what I've been through. I just wouldn't wish it on anyone. Not even an enemy.

So, I do check the boards every now and again. I so sincerely hope the injection gives you relief and you just go on your merry way!

Best to you and that grumpy disc,
    m

Closed Thread