It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MRI scan cant see through Titanium plate is that true

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
    cindybells
    (female)

cindybells HB User
    MRI scan cant see through Titanium plate is that true

this is what my current gp doc is telling me . i had c5-6 surgery 14 months ago with cadaver bone n Titanium Plate n screws , my pre-surgery symtoms pain n weekness stiil remained the same after surgery . so i got new MRI and it didnt show anything negative pertaining to my pain n weakness and my docs telling me that you cant see threw the Titanium Plate or around it so i cant even see what my " previously compressed spinal cord " looks like to see if its back to normal. IS THIS TRUE ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
    Stonepile
    Inactive
    (female)

Stonepile HB User
    Re: MRI scan cant see through Titanium plate is that true

Hi Cindybells - from what I was told, and have found doing a quick search just to double check before I replied to your post, the titanium plates might cause a small amount of "smear artifact" but do allow for postoperative MRI evaluation with little artifactual interference. They are currently trying to perfect an absorbable plating system that would dissolve after a period of time so that eventually there would be no plate after the fusion occurred. Sounds great to me!

I am so sorry that your pain persisted even after your surgery. There are others on this board in the same boat. I think there might be additional testing that can be done that might further visualize your affected area. More than likely someone will jump on here and give you some more adivce.

Hang in there and give them some time to respond,
    Stonepile

Old 10-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
    HarleyLdy61
    (female)

HarleyLdy61 HB User

Cindybells,

I had a c5-7 acdf with titanium plates in June 09. Just recently had a mri done on my cervical due to issues still remainining after surgery.

the report said

c5-6 - metallic artifact limits evaluations - mild to moderate spainal canal narrowing.

c6-7 - same as above.

however whe the surgeon showed me the films - you really cound't see the disc but it did show the spinal cord not being compressed anymore.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
    cindybells
    (female)

cindybells HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HarleyLdy61 View Post
    Cindybells,

I had a c5-7 acdf with titanium plates in June 09. Just recently had a mri done on my cervical due to issues still remainining after surgery.

the report said

c5-6 - metallic artifact limits evaluations - mild to moderate spainal canal narrowing.

c6-7 - same as above.

however whe the surgeon showed me the films - you really cound't see the disc but it did show the spinal cord not being compressed anymore.

Hope this helps.

to [ HarleyLdy61 ]
    " So the spinal cord is narrowed but not compressed anymore " is that good news ? Or does narrowing mean that there is peranant damage to spinal cord n nerves ?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
    HarleyLdy61
    (female)

HarleyLdy61 HB User

The surgeon said the spinal cord looked good basically back to normal.

I just think that I have a small narrowing spinal canal which hold the spinal cord. Dr really didn't say anything about that. Just that that the cord was good and not compressed anymore.

he's sending me to a neurologist to have an emg test done to see why I'm still having issues. My cord was compressed to 4mm for 6 months that I know of - how long before that i'm not sure.

Last edited by HarleyLdy61; 10-21-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Closed Thread