It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• lyrica??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
    binx
    (female)

binx HB User
    lyrica??

i went to see my neurologist this a.m. in hopes of ruling out any underlying neurological disorder (e.g., MS) that may be causing some of my more atypical symptoms. he still feels that what i am experiencing is a result of my c-spine bulges, herniation, bone spurs and DDD which was a relief. he is sending me for a visual evoked potentials test just to put the lid on any lingering doubts which i will have done next monday.

my neurologist is also very motivated to keep me off the operating table and wants me to step up my PT and has prescribed lyrica to manage some of my neuro symptoms. he wants me to give it another 3 months and if things haven't improved, then we resort to surgical intervention. this is the third time i've been mentally prepared to schedule an ACDF and have been told to hold off. it is a relief in some ways, but also creates the need for a total shift in my thinking which is hard. it is also incredibly hard on my family since i haven't been able to work since this started in january and we are more than feeling the pinch.

i haven't taken anything besides ibuprofen and now buspar to manage my anxiety during this whole nightmare since i am really sensitive to medication and it scares me. the neuro told me lyrica is a very strong medication and that many people have a negative reaction to it. i am really scared to take it.

what are people's thoughts about and/or experiences with lyrica? any input is MOST welcome.

thanks in advance,
    binx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
    soapies777
    (female)

soapies777 HB User
    Re: lyrica??

Been on lyrica about a year or year and a half and have had no problems.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
    Re: lyrica??

Hello,

I've been taking Lyrica for about a year and 1/2 or so. It was one part of a medication regimen that my PM put together for me to lessen my pain and symptoms. I also take ultram and soma. I do still get nerve symptoms, but I truly believe the Lyrica has been helping, especially with nerve pains. I was having nerve pains and symptoms in so many areas before and it took some time, but Lyrica seemed to lessen it. THere have been a few times when I without Lyrica..once for almost a month while i was waiting for prescription assistance to mail my refill, and my nerve pain definitely worsened and so did the symptoms. Like I said, I still get them, but the Lyrica does help some. I have to work full-time, so I really need any kinds of meds that will help lessen my pain and symptoms.

I should say that when I first started taking it, I did experience a very strange feeling. It wasn't dizziness like when you take painkillers. It was a very hard to describe feeling, kinda like my brain shifted or something, well not my actual brain, but my thinking. It can definitely affect your thinking at first. This lasted for a while, but eventually my body got used to it and the feeling went away, as is usual with med side effects. Other than that, I've had no other side effects. Oh well, yes I do, but it's very odd. Lyrica can have dry mouth as a side effect. I normally have a dry mouth and it gets really bad with ultram and soma, however...what I found with Lyrica, to my surprise, is that it has the opposite effect on me. It actually helps my dry mouth!

Closed Thread