It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Lordosis, Trigger Points, Whiplash... I'm so confused!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
    storiemae
    (female)

storiemae HB User
    Lordosis, Trigger Points, Whiplash... I'm so confused!

I am a 19 year old active girl, going to school and trying to lead a regular life. However, the chronic upper back pain in my trapezius/neck areas for the past 5 years has made it difficult. Up until about 6 months ago the sharp, deep pain under, to the inside (closer to my spine) and above my shoulder blades came and went with stress, and I would work out the knots and be over with it in a few days. However last year I got a really deep cough which enflamed the left side of my rib cage and my back pain. Except this time it did not go away, and has not gone away since. After doing some research and seeking help, I have been treated for Myofascial Pain Syndrome/Trigger Points in the forms of Cortizone Injections (I only received injections 1 time because they didn't really help), Physical Therapy and Deep Tissue Massage. These methods were working well for me until I broke my foot about 3 months ago and had to walk with crutches and then unevenly on a walking cast. My back never felt worse than when I was on crutches. Now that I am free, I am in Physical Therapy again and trying to afford massage as often as possible, and I have already seen a decrease in my pain and also the size of my trigger points.

However, my most recent batch of x-rays given to me by my GP (general practitioner) shows a reversal of my lordic curve. I do not know many details other than what I am able to find on my own, and since this is so new to me I do not know what this means. If anyone knows what I am going through, has suggestions or can answer my questions PLEASE help! This is what I know....

The curvature in my spine is reversed in two places... my neck and also right above the arch of my lower back, and from what I gather it is not too severe, but has the potential to become so if I do not work out my muscle issues.

The (severe?) Whiplash I received when I was 8 could possibly be the cause of this.

The trigger points in my shoulders and neck perpetuated the abnormalities in my spine. (Now I'm learning it could be the other way around?)

My Questions:

If whiplash is the cause why would I not have symptoms until over a decade later?

Should I ask my doctor for an MRI?

Can the damage to my spine be reversed even though it has gone years untreated?

Is Physical Therapy/Massage enough, or should I see an Orthopedist/Chiropractor/Nuerosurgeon?

Please let me know, I feel like my doctors are skimming on the surface and i don't want to have to deal with the consequences years down the line.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2009, 03:28 AM   #2
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
    Re: Lordosis, Trigger Points, Whiplash... I'm so confused!

YES. whiplash pain can last a lifetime. for some people it goes away, for some it comes and go and for some unfortunate like me it stays and never goes away.

Never ever go to chiropractor, period. they can cause further damaging to your neck. I got to go run now. keep posting here.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by storiemae View Post
    My Questions:
    If whiplash is the cause why would I not have symptoms until over a decade later?

Should I ask my doctor for an MRI?

Is Physical Therapy/Massage enough, or should I see an Orthopedist/Chiropractor/Nuerosurgeon?

Please let me know, I feel like my doctors are skimming on the surface and i don't want to have to deal with the consequences years down the line.

Thanks.
    Hello again, I will try to help you the best I can but I'm not a doctor.
    how did the accident happen can you tell me?.

as I said before whiplash pain can last a lifetime. it's a real agony. horrible. it's not like you know, I once fell on my knee and it hurt for 6 months but now it's fine. whiplash is not like that. It's more complicated, it's tendons, ligaments and muscles damage plus other problems.

MRI is a must, it will show what's going on over there in your neck and back, so it's important so you need to ask your doctors to do that.

neurosuregon and orthopedic, of course you need to see them. I've been to so many.

Last edited by nochange; 10-25-2009 at 07:02 AM.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
    storiemae
    (female)

storiemae HB User

Thanks so much for your responses. I will definitely be asking my doctor for an MRI to be 100% sure of everything that is going on. I actually have been seeing a physical therapist weekly and have experienced wonderful results. I of course am not pain free yet but I am working out my muscles as well as strengthening them so that they contract properly. I am religious about my exercises and have seen a great difference. I know this will be a long haul but I am not letting my pain have a hold of me anymore, and am willing to work as hard as I need to get relief without the aid of medications that are only a short term fix.

my accident went as follows. My mother sister and I were at a dead stop in our small mini-van when a Chevy Tahoe rear ended us going about 35mph. My mother who was driving suffered an brain injury and my sister who was in the front passenger seat sustained a back injury as well. i was in the back and was told I had whiplash when a few days-weeks later my neck was hurting and my arms and hands tingling. However I was 8 and do not remember exactly my symptoms and am sure I was not as articulate as I should've been about them.

My physical therapist says that with the gradual release of the muscles in my shoulders and upper back my spine will guaranteed to back to normal as long as I take care of it now and retrain myself to use these muscles properly.

again thank you so much
    -s

Old 01-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
    Amythest
    (female)

Amythest HB User

Hello I have been researching whiplash Syndrome as I have this disorder and have read that sometimes whiplash could possibly return at a worse state 20 years later.I was shocked to read this.I am no doctor but who really is.I would ask your Dr. for an MRI 1st and go from there if all else fails ask him for a CT scan.Hope you hang in there and maybe even see someone to help you get through this.[counseling has helped me get through my pain one day at a time.Take Care amythest

Last edited by Amythest; 01-20-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: I believe even the smallest advice could put you on the road to recovery

Old 01-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
    storiemae
    (female)

storiemae HB User

Thank you so much for your responses amythist. It's a powerful feeling knowing that there are others dealing, and dealing positively with what has become such a significant hurdle in my life. I am still plugging away taking it day by day and slowly learning how to balance the injury with everything else life requires. I hope you are hanging in there and finding victories with your struggle everyday

take care,
    storie

Old 01-22-2010, 03:22 AM   #7
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amythest View Post
    Hello I have been researching whiplash Syndrome as I have this disorder and have read that sometimes whiplash could possibly return at a worse state 20 years later.I was shocked to read this.I am no doctor but who really is.
    hello Amythest. Where did you read whiplash could possibly return at worse state 20 years later. I'm really interested to know.

I've had a severe whiplash you know and I'm already suffering big time.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
    sickofbackpain
    (female)

sickofbackpain HB User

Storiemae,
    Wow, you have exactly my symptoms. I have extremely tight trapezius and rhomboid muscles in my upper back and it's so debilitating. I've tried everything, like you deep tissue massage, acupuncture with cupping to try to loosen the tight muscles, steriod injections and even botox injections (biggest mistake of my life as it deadens the nerve and gives you a heavy dead weight feeling). I was looking for any quick relief as the pain has me at the point to taking a leave of absence from work. Sitting at a computer desk just made it worse. I've been taking pain meds to get me through and so sick of it. I've had MRI and Xrays and I've been told that I do have a slightly bulging disk in my cervical area as well as some disk degeneration but nothing that requires surgery. This was in Jan. of 2011. My neurosurgeon just said I needed to try other modalites of treatment which I've done in the last 8 months to no avail. Most recently, I saw a bio physics chiropractor and he took Xrays. He said my curve in my neck is going the opposite direction and this is the cause of why the trapezius muscles are not loosening up no matter what I try. Because it is messed up structurally, it will just go back to the way it was. The chiropractor says I need to use the traction device in his office to slowly put the curve back in, but having done it 4 times so far, it kills me and makes the area even tighter. So, I'm also going back to deep tissue massages to try anything to soften the trapezius muscles. At this point, don't know who to believe. I've not read anywhere where others have been through the traction remedy. Seems like many have this reverse lordosis and I've not read anything that states it MUST be reversed or that a chiropractor can even fix it with this traction device. Anyone out there, please advise. I'm so confused and beside myself. I'm now reading a book called Pain Free which provides a lot of phyiscal therapy exercises to realign the body. It states that the body is dysfunctional right now and needs to get back to neutral mode to heal. I would love to hear back from anyone out there in a similiar situation or anyone with some advice. Thank you.

Closed Thread