It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• lumbar spinal stenosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
    petfinder
    (female)

petfinder HB User
    lumbar spinal stenosis

I am trying to find out other people experience with diagnosis and treatments of spinal stenosis with coccyx pain as well.

What tests have you had.
    Did you experience pain prior to testing.
    Did anyone have surgery for this and was it successful. Who was your doctor?
    How long was healing time and what exactly is the procedure.
    Do you have pain following the surgery. Are you able to do daily activities.

Where are the top doctors in this field.

Obviously, I am quite confused about any type of surgery and what to expect with surgery and post surgery.

Thank you in advance.
    petfinder

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: lumbar spinal stenosis

Hello - it is always helpful when you are seeking information to provide a little more detail about your situation/tests, because then people who are similar can see they are and reply.
    -What exactly is your problem pain or neurological?
    - It also might be a different answer depending on your age group.
    - How long has this been going on for you?
    - Is your stenosis from disc or bone spur (oestephyte).

You might also do your research over on the back board because on the spinal board mostly people with cervical and thoracic problems hang out, and lumbar people over on the back board. Although many of us have problems in all areas. You can read older posts and find lots of very good information.

THe other thing you probably want to research is on studies about lumbar surgery. There are lots of studies to demonstrate long term follow up of patients around 5 years out comparing surgery to conservative care for lumbar problems tend to come out about the same.

I have very badly damaged L5/S1 , it is completely herniated with the disc badly damaged and pressing center canal on the S1 nerve roots . L4 isn't as bad, but I have that too. I am about a year out now, and mine has settled down a bit and livable with conservative care.

What tests have you had.
    I had xrays and MRI - no other tests are required as they correlate with my pain pattern. (dermatomes)

Did you experience pain prior to testing.
    I had very bad bi-lateral leg pain running all the way to my toes. Back pain wasn't as bad hip and butt pain.. Pain is what sent me to doctor, I have some weakness too but it didn't worry me as much as the pain bothered me.

Did anyone have surgery for this and was it successful. NO - using conservative care, epidural injections.

How long was healing time and what exactly is the procedure.
    I got significant relief from epidurals and relief was almost immediate and has lasted a couple months. wearing off now and will repeat.

Where are the top doctors in this field. A good orthopedic spine surgeon or a neurosurgeon in your area. these type surgeries are pretty common for these practices, for most lumbar cases you do not need to go to some central location if you live in a larger city. You should be able to find a very good and experienced surgeon in your area. If you tell your State, you will probably find someone on here in the same state. Look for board certified, fellowship trained - spine specialty MD.

If you respond to the other questions I might have some other ideas for you.

Closed Thread