It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Diagnosed with RSD 4 1/2 months post ACDF surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
    estella3
    (female)

estella3 HB User
    Unhappy Diagnosed with RSD 4 1/2 months post ACDF surgery

Hello,

My family doctor recently diagnosed me with RSD, due to the on going pain down the left side of my neck and into my left arm, and also movement deficits and strength deficits in my left arm, these symptoms are all post op of an acdf of my c5 c6. I am wondering if i have a legal ground to stand on with this? My neurosergeon does not agree with what other doctors are saying and he is saying that i have carpal tunnel syndrome and the other symptoms of my neck, shoulder blade, and forearm are due to muscle spasms. He tried to tell me that the pain in my forearm was from tennis elbow, and that i must have done some activity to get it. The orthopedic surg says it is not in fact tennis elbow at all but seems to be nerve related. The orthopedic is sending me to a vascular serg. to rule out thoracic outlet. I see a new neurosergeon in a week to see what his opinion is on this.My family doctors says there is nerve damage to one of the nerves that goes to my arm, most likely the median, and the damage is on a cellular level which does not show up on MRI or EMG. He says that there is not way this could be fixed, and that u cant fix a nerve. He is now writing me off as permenantly disabled due to this. Estella

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Diagnosed with RSD 4 1/2 months post ACDF surgery

RSD (also known as Complex Regional Pain Syndrome) is a pain disorder of unknown origin that starts after a minor injury starts a pain response that doesn't stop even after the injury is healed. It is nothing you can sue for because it is particular to your body and no one knows if they will develop it and there is no way to predict it.

Go to the Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy board and talk to the folks there. They can probably give you better advice than the docs can.

But legally.....doubt you will get anywhere but you can get a free consult with a malpractice attorney and ask them. It's a mystery disorder that some docs don't think even exists except in the mind of the victim.

good luck...you need it................Jenny

Closed Thread