It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ACDF Recovery Update

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
    birdman579
    (male)

birdman579 HB User
    ACDF Recovery Update

I have now completed 1 week of recovery following ACDF for a herniated disc at C6/7. Overall, I think my recovery is going very well. I hope to return to work after 3 weeks off (2 weeks from now).

The first day in the hospital was the worst with bad vomiting and having to use a Foley. Ouch! I think the painkillers and anethesia were not good for my body. I wasn't feeling much pain so I quickly stopped pushing the pain button and everything was back to normal the next morning. By noon on day 2, I was home and fairly comfortable. I had a sore throat for about 2 days. The lump in my throat continues, but is finally starting to get better. The lump does not affect eating or breathing, just feels strange when swallowing. I haven't taken any pain meds since the first night home. The incision is the worst of the pain and that's only noticeable when I'm sitting up from lying down. I started walking a bit on the treadmill and now walk 1 mile a day. I could probably walk more as I don't have any problems.

As for my symptoms before the surgery, I had lots of arm/shoulder/chest tingling and pain. Sitting on the couch would be fine, but moving would cause everything to act up. Everything is much better than before. There have been a few times, maybe a total of 30 seconds, where my right arm has felt weird, but nothing like before. I'm cautiously optimistic about a full recovery and returning to an active lifestyle.

I plan to update this thread every so often as I recover to keep a record for anyone considering the surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: ACDF Recovery Update

Thanks Birdman. Glad to hear the positive report. Recovery can be very up and down but sometimes it just goes up and up and up. I hope yours will be one of them. A positive attitude really helps.

Keep posting...we need the good reports here!

gentle hugs............Jenny

Old 07-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
    wrgil
    (female)

wrgil HB User

Great news Birdman. I'm so happy to hear your shoulder/chest/arm pain is much better.

I'm awaiting surgery and am really looking forward to more updates from you.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
    birdman579
    (male)

birdman579 HB User

I'm a little more than 2 weeks post-op so I figured it was time for another update. My original symptoms continue to stay "fixed". I keep thinking my arm is going to start tingling again, but so far so good. The real test will be when I return to activities because that's when my symptoms were the worst. I still wear my collar almost full time as directed by my doctor. He said I wouldn't need a collar before I had the surgery, but the story changed. Kinda strange. My follow-up appt with the NS is tomorrow. I'm hoping to get cleared for driving and be able to take off my collar. The collar can definitely get itchy sometimes. I didn't shave until a few days ago and that felt really good. Stubble/beard + neck collar = bad news.

As for recovery... I still have very little to no neck pain. The incision is a little sore if I strain my neck like when getting out of bed. The steri-strips are still in place. They are starting to peel, but none have fallen off yet. That means I still haven't had a great look at the incision. Perhaps my NS will take them off tomorrow. I still occasionally have the lump in my throat. Doesn't really cause any problems, just annoying. I think the lump is from tightness at the incision so I bet my throat won't be back to normal until the incision fully heals.

Tomorrow could be a big day... maybe cleared to take off collar, return to driving, and return to working. Fingers crossed...

Old 08-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
    wrgil
    (female)

wrgil HB User

I've been hoping for another update from you! It sounds like you're doing great. I hope everything goes well at your appointment tomorrow. Please update after your appointment. Reading your updates really eases some of my fears of my upcoming surgery.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
    birdman579
    (male)

birdman579 HB User

Back from the NS with good news... no more collar! He said I can wear the collar if needed, but it's not required for anything. I was also given some stretching exercises to loosen up my neck. It doesn't hurt too much when I look side-to-side, just stiff when I look more than 45 degrees. Once I'm comfortable turning my head, I can drive. I also had the Steri-Strips removed. The removal wasn't too bad and the incision is healing nicely. I bet it will be barely noticeable before too long. I had x-rays taken today and they look good. I got released to return to work on Monday part time, full time the following Monday. Only work restriction is to not lift more than 15 pounds. Not really an issue for me. The only bad news is my NS said the lump in my throat may never fully go away because of the plate. It's not particularly bad, just a little annoying. The feeling is gone when I lean my head slightly forward when swallowing. I have another follow-up in 10 weeks to hopefully be fully released back into the wild

Old 08-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Best thing I found for the incision was SPF 45 lip balm - it was easy to carry around and apply whenever my neck was in the sun in any way. Made my scar very minimal.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
    birdman579
    (male)

birdman579 HB User

I'm coming up on 4 weeks since surgery and the recovery continues to go pretty well. I have been free of the collar for a little more than a week and just completed my first week back at work. My neck is definitely stiff and I lost some flexibility, but my stretches seem to improve things every day so I'm optimistic it will almost all come back. The worst thing at this point is the incision hurts when I turn my head far... feels like the skin is stretching. Ouch! Driving is slightly more difficult than before, but mostly due to incision pain when looking over my shoulder. Hopefully that will improve as the incision fully heals. I also still wear a waterproof bandage while showering per doctor's orders. I sometimes have minor pain between my shoulder blades after being up and around for a while.

As for my original symptoms, they are basically all gone. I do have an occasional feeling of my arm being "off". No tingling or pain like before, just seems like something is not quite right. It's typically very minor and for a short period of time and I wouldn't think twice before this whole ordeal. Just slightly concerned the nerves might act up again. I'm much more in touch with pains and issues with my body since the surgery. Hopefully the worrying doesn't drive me crazy

The lump in my throat does continue. There are times I don't feel it, but other times it acts up. Again, not a huge deal, but it does remind me that i had the surgery.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
    minstrel2
    (female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User

Birdman sounds like you are doing really well. 4 weeks isn't long at all after an ACDF. My throat incision has improved even two years after my surgery. I can hardly see it now, and don't really feel it at all. Just use wisdom about your activities, and you should continue to do great.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
    birdman579
    (male)

birdman579 HB User

Just passed the 8 week mark since surgery and everything is going well. My neck flexibility greatly increased at about the 6 week time frame. I'm back to about 90% of pre-surgery flexibility. I wouldn't be heart broken if my flexibility does not increase any more. My incision is still a little stiff, but doesn't really hurt even when stretching the skin. I hear it takes 6 months or more for surgery incisions to really heal so I'm only 1/3 of the way there.

I have been to several college football games and played tailgating games without any problems. My lifting restrictions are still in effect which is actually a good thing because that means I don't have to pull the cooler or grill out of the car

As for disc pain, I occasionally have a dull ache between my shoulder blades after being active or if I don't get enough sleep. The pain is not at all bad enough to take pain meds, just a gentle reminder of the surgery. The tingling and arm pain continue to be "fixed". The only bad news is occasional mild muscle spasms.

Overall, I'm doing very well and could easily live with all the minor pains and reminders of the surgery. As I stated before, my biggest issue is if any of the pains/spasms increase. Hopefully not... fingers crossed!

Old 09-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #11
    mommy of three
    (female)

mommy of three HB User

i am now one week post op feeling good all the pain in my arm is gone and was right after surgery. Just have one question for you guys. My voice is not right. I can not talk loudly and forget yelling at my kids when they need it. my voice just does not work. Anyone else with this problem?

Old 09-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
    minstrel2
    (female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User

Your voice will take time to normalize. One week is not nearly long enough.
    I really didn't regain my full voice until at least a year after surgery. Yours may come back sooner, but don't strain and yell too much. This could be a good time to teach the kids to respond to you in other ways, rather than yelling.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #13
    birdman579
    (male)

birdman579 HB User

I have not had any voice issues from the surgery so I cannot comment. I do still have the lump feeling in my throat. Nothing terrible and it seems to be improving, but I still notice almost every time I swallow.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #14
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I had voice "hoarseness" for about 2-3 weeks. After that it was normal. I drank warm tea to help it come back. It's an irritation much as laryngitis would be so tea, cepacol lozenges, etc all can help.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #15
    julie10
    (female)

julie10 HB Userjulie10 HB Userjulie10 HB User

There is a tea out there called, Throat Coat. We use it for my husband, who is a ********, on Sunday mornings.

What you are experiencing is normal; it should get better with time.

Closed Thread