It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ESI when does it start taking effect?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
    balibali
    (female)

balibali HB User
    ESI when does it start taking effect?

Hi I am posting here for the first time. I have issues in my lumber spine and my cervical spine. In my cervical spine I have a minute bulge in C3-4, a herniated disc in C4-5 and a broad-based oestophyte in C5-6. I am 37 , live in TX, and I have had these for a while at least for two years. Last time when I had neck and arm pain (two years ago) I got better with Physical therapy. This time I am in pain for the last two months. Physical therapy didnot work. I had an ESI in the cervical spine this Monday. It has been 72 hrs since I had the shot and I see no improvement in the pain. The pain doctor mentioned that the effect shouild start kicking in in 48 hrs. Do u all have any experience with this? If u had any relief with ESI when did it start taking effect? thanks a bunch..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2010, 05:15 AM   #2
    Pebble Beach
    Inactive
    (male)

Pebble Beach HB User
    Re: ESI when does it start taking effect?

i have had spine issues for over 20 years. And I have been thru 6 spine surgeries to date. Prior to surgeries physical therapy was tried and epidural's wsere tried as well.
    Unfortunately I have had very very little success with epidurals. I can't recall how many I've been thru over the years. I found when they did work they did work relatively quickly BUT they never lasted more then a few days. I would then repeat the injections and on the 2nd injection I had no relief at all. I think if I remember correctly they will usually only try 3 injections within a certain time frame.
    The bottom line is for me at least I found they did not work. The last pain doctor I went to wanted me to try it again. I kept telling him NO I won't do it. Finally just to get out of his office I said I'll call you to set up an appointment. Needless to say I never called him. Good luck.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Welcome to the boards.
    Ive had several over the years. Some work & some don't. For the most part I dont feel relief right a way in most areas. They do seem to help my hands. Since each one is different its hard to say but I have went up to 3 days before feeling any relief. Although Ive never experianced 100% relief from any injection. I was willing to go through a couple before I felt any relief at all.
    Even though it says do nothing for the first 24 hrs I take it easy for a couple days.
    Good luck, Sammy

Old 07-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Often they do them in a series of 3 injections, one every 2 weeks. This is partly due to the fact that it can take the entire series for you to see some relief. It's worth trying ESI. In some cases they have worked for me and in some cases I abandoned them. For my neck, I did ESI every 6 months for about 18 months and had success. Then the last series failed to help so I ended up doing my ACDF. I had a very aggravated nerve after the ACDF and I did have another ESI done for that and it was successful.

I now think I need to have more neck work done but am trying a series of ESI first. I do the first one of this round on 8/10, at 7am, on my birthday. Do I know how to party or what????? I've asked for IV sedation so at least that will result in a nice nap when I get home.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
    balibali
    (female)

balibali HB User
    Unhappy Re: ESI when does it start taking effect?

Its been 5 days since I took that shot and my pain is actually worse today..so I am concluding that the last shot was ineffective. I will have another one this week; it is hard to stay positive.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Bali,
    Yes it is hard to stay positive. I had one set pre-op that I would consider to be a success. I was so excited went over board on my activity level & found myself back where I was. IMO ESIs are a hit or miss thing. I always find it so strange how one set may work & another not. After 2 unsuccessful sets my PM stopped & suggested an evaluation with a surgeon.

Spine, I had my last set done on my birthday also, just what I wanted to be sitting on ice packs in my recliner for the day but it helped my hands out some so it was worth it. At my age I don't make a big deal but hope it just passes uneventful & quite.

Good luck Bali with your next set. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. God bless, Sammy

Closed Thread