It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Can I recover from spinal fusion alone at home?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #16
    sprog777
    (male)

sprog777 HB User
    Re: Can I recover from spinal fusion alone at home?

I had spinal fusion at l4-l5 4 years ago. I got to the point where the pain was too great to work. Now four years later l4-l3 has gone bad and docs says i need another fusion. I never was pain free and have been taking pain pills just to fuction half-way normally. Although i feel i will never be normal again. So my point being you should be really certian that fusion is the only cure for you as it can not be reversed (if anyone knows that it can please post it here)
    As for recovery alone i guess it could be done if ther surgery is your only problem. I got a walker and a reach extender for things i dropped. Food and drink and the bathroom will probably all you will be able to do for at least two weeks. So good planning on microwave meals and well stocked fridge on cold cuts and bread. My wife brought me home from the hospital then left to see relatives 500 miles away. And i did ok. I used a good walker to get on and off the john and in and out of bed.
    You should have a phone number to someone you can depend on if you get into something you can't handle.And be prepared for a lot of pain and pain pills.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #17
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: Can I recover from spinal fusion alone at home?

Sprog:

You are correct that a fusion can't be reversed. A fusion means a permanent joining of 2 or more levels. But I can tell you that I was fused L4-S1 in 93. This year they added L3. They took out all the old hardware, cleaned up any bone fragments or anything that needed to be refined, and then put in new hardware L3-S1. For me this has gone very well.

And my C5-C7 ACDF went well also.

Closed Thread