It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C6-7 Disc protusion with cord impression

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
    RLambert
    (female)

RLambert HB User
    C6-7 Disc protusion with cord impression

I am a 37 year healthy female that developed acute pain, numbness, and weakness in my neck and left arm 2 weeks ago. I proceeded to see a chiropractor who has treated agressively daily with not relief. The nerve pain is agonizing. After x-rays showed "degenerative disease" at the c6-7, an MRI was ordered by my chiropractor.

Here is the MRI report:

Routine scanning of the cervical spine demonstrates a focal mild to moderate sized disc protusion centrally and to the left at C6-7 with mild cord impression. There is mild spondylosis and disc buldging at this level as well with mild effacement of the anterior subarachnoid space greater on the left involving the left lateral recess.

IMPRESSION:

1. Mild to moderate sized disc protusion C6-7 centrally and slightly to the left with focal impression upon the left aspect of the cord. There is mild effacement of the left lateral recess due to the disc protusion and spondylosis

Neurosurgical consultation is recommended ASAP given the cord impression.

I am trying to get the consult set up. How serious is this MRI report. My chiropractor has suggested that I will certainly have surgery due to the level of my pain and increasing symptoms. I have researched some and am very concerned about the anterior approach fusion as I rely on my vocal cords. I am a singer and use it in my career. My chiropractor is also talking to me about considering bypassing the local Neurosurgeon and going to Houston, TX for a consult. I live in GA so if this necessary?

What would you do? The pain is agonizing...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
    minstrel2
    (female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User
    Re: C6-7 Disc protusion with cord impression

Get to the best neurosurgeon you can find as soon as possible. The sooner you get this taken care of the better for you. There are procedures they can do from the rear if you are concerned about your vocal cords.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
    paranormal2
    (male)

paranormal2 HB User

i had c6/7 fused in 2000, I never had any neck pain at all, mine was all severe burning in ring and pinky finger of left hand, my m.r.i showed extreme bulge into spinal cord and recomended surgery a.s.a.p. I was terrified going in, told I would be on liquid diet for a few days...well I woke up in the hospital ( in a hallway with NO neck brace on).. which scared me, but once i was in a room, they brought me a full dinner. ( so much for liquid diet. I ate mached potatos and gravany and peas...this was 4 hours after surgery. I was surprised how quikly i felt better after surgery ...never had any neck pain, no hip pain where they took the bone from. buti did get a bladder infection which was worse thatn anything. I never had any vocal chord issues. I recently had an x-ray of the plate and scews, and they are perfectly in place. I's really active, I surf fairly big waves. 47 years old now. so in my case, I have no regrets, it worked well for me. good luck

Old 09-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
    RLambert
    (female)

RLambert HB User
    Question Re: C6-7 Disc protusion with cord impression

I have been doing some research in preparation for tomorrow's appointment with my chiropractor. I have learned a lot about the PRESTIGE artificial disc replacement and have found a surgeon in Atlanta that specializes in this procedure as opposed to a local doctor that does the traditional fusion. I am thinking about pushing my Chiropractor to get a consult with the doctor in Atlanta since he is in the top 50 NeuroSpinal Surgeons in the country. Thoughts on artificial disc replacement versus traditional fusion?

Also, I have developed some new symptoms over the weekend. I feel like a "bear" is sitting on my chest and at times feel like I have to struggle to breath.... is this part of the compression on my spinal cord? I am in good health with no heart issues so I do not feel it is heart related at all. Also feels like I can't swallow a little....like I have a lump in my lower throat if that makes sense...

Thanks for all your experiences. You read a lot about the negative but I am glad to hear the positive experiences too.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
    paranormal2
    (male)

paranormal2 HB User

the chest and swallowing thing seem to me more stress related..also, sometimes a bad reaction to certain meds, make your throat constrict, happened to me once when i took cheap off-brand penicilin, and my paramedic freind told me of that symptom... one thing i DO know...if you are a smoker, the fusion my not take. or make take way longer than it would... the surgeon that did mine said he just outright won't do fusion on smokers, refers them to someone else, it's that common. I know nothing of artificial discs, I used my own bone from my hip, and it fused in 90 days.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
    RLambert
    (female)

RLambert HB User

I am not a smoker and never have been. I am also not taking any medication as I am allergic to pain meds.... (Thank goodness I have a high pain tolerance...birthed 2 babies with no meds)

I saw my doctor today and he said that the "feeling" could be related to the cord compression....

Waiting on getting in to see neurosurgeon....one does traditional treatments with spinal fusion and the other used the Artificial Disc Replacement....

My concern is whether waiting several weeks to get in to see a neurosurgeon will result in permanent damage to the compressed spinal cord or worse....

Old 09-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
    kcarroll
    (female)

kcarroll HB User
    Smile Re: C6-7 Disc protusion with cord impression

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RLambert View Post
    I am a 37 year healthy female that developed acute pain, numbness, and weakness in my neck and left arm 2 weeks ago. I proceeded to see a chiropractor who has treated agressively daily with not relief. The nerve pain is agonizing. After x-rays showed "degenerative disease" at the c6-7, an MRI was ordered by my chiropractor.

Here is the MRI report:

Routine scanning of the cervical spine demonstrates a focal mild to moderate sized disc protusion centrally and to the left at C6-7 with mild cord impression. There is mild spondylosis and disc buldging at this level as well with mild effacement of the anterior subarachnoid space greater on the left involving the left lateral recess.

IMPRESSION:

1. Mild to moderate sized disc protusion C6-7 centrally and slightly to the left with focal impression upon the left aspect of the cord. There is mild effacement of the left lateral recess due to the disc protusion and spondylosis

Neurosurgical consultation is recommended ASAP given the cord impression.

I am trying to get the consult set up. How serious is this MRI report. My chiropractor has suggested that I will certainly have surgery due to the level of my pain and increasing symptoms. I have researched some and am very concerned about the anterior approach fusion as I rely on my vocal cords. I am a singer and use it in my career. My chiropractor is also talking to me about considering bypassing the local Neurosurgeon and going to Houston, TX for a consult. I live in GA so if this necessary?

What would you do? The pain is agonizing...
    I had a cervical fusion C4-7 in 2006. That went well, no problem with surgery. The only thing is that I have to go back and get C3-4 and C7-T1 fused as it is pusing on my spinal cord. It is very painful with burning and radicular pain down the arms and headachs chronic. My surgeon is world renowned and has taught all over. He is located in Minneapolis, Mn and his name is Dr. Amir Mehbod. You should be good with just the one level fused!!!

Closed Thread