It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Strep infection in Spine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2001, 03:32 PM   #1
    Ann43

Ann43 HB User
    Strep infection in Spine

I'm looking for help anywhere I can.I will be as brief as possible.In Dec. my husband had a strep infection in his blood and was very ill.He was hospitalized,where he underwent many tests to locate the source of the infection. No luck.After a week he was discharged but had to have IV antibiotics for 6 weeks.He started to feel better,but in January,he started having intense back pain.Come to find out,the bacteria had "localized" itself in his spine. Damage was unbelievable.He is in intense pain.He is now bedridden. We have seen many doctors.We even went to The University of Pennsylvania. All say it is a waiting game. It will resolve itself. Surgery is too risky. Few have ever even seen this. We are told it could take 3-6 months for the healing process.Then they may have to do surgery.(By then the infetcion risk will have passed I guess) I'm looking for anyone who may have had an experience like this. Or somewhere I could contact that may be able to help me. He can't take pain meds because his stomach started bleeding.
    So if he tries to sit up the hip and leg pain is intense. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thank You

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2001, 07:00 PM   #2
    Elaine
    Inactive

Elaine HB User
    Re: Strep infection in Spine

Ann,
    Does he have a strep infection or a staph infection? I had a friend who ended up with staph after back surgery and it was rough.
    Elaine

Old 03-01-2001, 05:34 AM   #3
    Ann43

Ann43 HB User

Elaine,
    It was a strep infection.Right now his blood cultures are negative(no sign of infection).But the doctors are not sure if the bacteria hasn't "shielded" itself in his spine. They are afraid if they try to repair the damage,and the bacteria is there,they will stir it up. If they do it can possibly go directly to his brain. Thanks for your reply.

Old 03-02-2001, 04:18 PM   #4
    kdb
    (female)

kdb HB User

God Bless you both! No I have not heard of this but about the pain meds. Why do they not hook him up with a pump where he would not ingest the pain meds? Something to consider. Best wishes.

Closed Thread