It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• failed fusion C6/C7

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2002, 04:32 PM   #1
    dmjado

dmjado HB User
    failed fusion C6/C7

Hi,
    I had a failed fusion on C6-C7, done in 1996 and didn't even know the fusion didn't work until new MRI's were done last week. The doctor that read the 1997 MRI's, never bothered to let me know. I can see the similarities in both sets of MRI's I have in my possession, until the end of this month when I go for an appt. with the surgeon that did my fusion. I don't know what is going to happen at this appt. I'm off work because pain in the back of my neck, down the left side of my neck, into my shoulder, arm and hands is constant and worse when I am working. And I have to constantly crack my neck to the left to relieve pressure. Anyway, my chiropractor thinks that I might be looking at disability if the neurosurgeon tells me that nothing can be done to fix the problem. Please, I'm really interested in finding out if I have a chance, and if anyone has any input or advice for what I should do at this point. Thanks, Debbie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2002, 10:38 PM   #2
    Kamden
    Veteran

Kamden HB User
    Re: failed fusion C6/C7

I can tell you what I was told by my attorney when i received short term disability, and advice I got from others. Many disability judges put much more weight into a neuros. diagnosis and opinion, than general practitioners, chiropractors, etc. I would suggest going to the neuro. only, and getting a diagnosis and treatment plan, then for a 2nd opinion from another neuro. if you feel you need one. After you get the diagnosis and treatment plan, you will know if you should apply for disability. BTW, if you are off work a year, you can also get short term disability like I did. I wish you luck. Did your chiropractor take x-rays before he worked on you?

Old 04-16-2002, 04:34 AM   #3
    dmjado

dmjado HB User

Hi, thanks for your letter. My chiropractor wouldn't ever do a treatment on my neck because he knew I had the fusion done, so that's one smart thing I did. Even before I went to him in the first place, I had MRI's done one year after the fusion ordered by my regular doctor. This was because of pain then, but they could find no source for it. I'd even had a mileogram. I don't understand why the neurosurgeons would think a failed fusion would't cause the problems. Must be the failed fusion was ignored at the time. So disability is going to be a fight, huh? I figured as much. Thanks for writing back, I really appreciate hearing from someone with similar problems.
    Debbie

Old 04-17-2002, 12:35 PM   #4
    Kamden
    Veteran

Kamden HB User

Are you saying that the neuro. doesn't think the failed fusion is the reason for your pain? If so, this doesn't make sense to me either. Also, I am not saying getting atleast short term disability is a huge fight. It happened to be easy for me, because my attorney told me my records spoke for themselves, months of every treatment available, Mri showing huge herniated disk etc. For some people, it is hard because their injury is harder to prove, but sounds like you have all the proof already. I would apply for disability right now if I were you, because they go by the date you first became disabled, not the date you apply. And even if your injury is treatable, there is a chance it could take months and months, which disability will take anyway to get back to you! Good luck

Closed Thread